Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who says white supremacists are stupid?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When Justin Bieber was egged in Melbourne years ago I got sore ribs from laughing.

Peter Gordon. Ambulance chaser personified.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Is that why he went with the Doggies?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:53 pm

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
Should you be allowed to crack an egg on any unsuspecting persons head unless it’s a game?

Far, far worse things have happened to me and you and everyone here that no one thought twice about as being wrong.

David wrote:
I still think violence is a very different thing, hence why I wasn't even remotely inclined to support that Astro Labe guy headbutting Tony Abbott.

Yep, headbutting is clear violence. Cracking eggs isn't.

Peter Gordon is the kid's lawyer, by the way.

I don’t agree. It can lead to far worse, i don’t understand why it’s ever I to lay hands on some random on the street, or a political figure. Yes the guy is a tool. But be the bigger man.

Yes worse has happened to me, and now i choose to be a better person.

Last edited by think positive on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 pm

The goons' reaction was far more seriously illegal.

The "it could escalate" argument applies equally well to just yelling at each other or pulling faces or gesturing.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Who threw the first punch is far more an appropriate question than who raised their voice first!

Did he over react? Certainly, but if no egg nothing to react to. His job is to be a goon and he did his job.

Far better uses for eggs, chickens work $$%^%%$ hard to produce them! Cheers

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:08 pm

^

No, it wasn't. You're permitted to use reasonable force in self defence, Annings attempted slaps would be considered reasonable force (but a piss poor look for a politician) so therefore not illegal.

The mob who piled onto the kid, supposedly to restrain him, may have pushed the boundaries.

So in essence.

Kid committed assault
Anning responded in self defence
Goon squad may be liable for over zealous restraint, bordering assault.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

No, it wasn't. You're permitted to use reasonable force in self defence, Annings attempted slaps would be considered reasonable force (but a piss poor look for a politician) so therefore not illegal.

The mob who piled onto the kid, supposedly to restrain him, may have pushed the boundaries.

So in essence.

Kid committed assault
Anning responded in self defence
Goon squad may be liable for over zealous restraint, bordering assault.

Ah yeah I typed that wrong, I meant the goon! I don’t blame the other guy for lashing out at least the first tine. That’s a natural reaction, and the second swipe was humiliation, which was fair enough.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Yeah, TP, I read you as referring to the chokehold guys.

But I just saw the video again because it auto-played on a NYT article.
The video shows the polly's reaction was not instinct or self-defence. It shows him turn around and stare at the kid for what seems like ages. He then takes one step forward (towards the kid, because he's been facing the kid for that pregnant pause) and swipes at him.

Clearly just temper/revenge, not self-defence. He should be charged.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Nah, the kid wasn’t hurt.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 pm

What's also interesting in this sideshow, is if Anning had of slipped on the egg and hit his head, causing injury, the kid could be charged under the coward punch legislation. Something to think about.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 am

Morrigu wrote:
^ hmmm.........

Man who threw egg at PM to face court

Ms Gillard was entering the ABC studios in East Perth about 9.30am (WST) on Friday when a man threw the egg, missing her and hitting a policewoman in the back.

Police swiftly subdued a 55-year-old man from North Beach in the city's north.

The man has been served with a summons to face court on a charge of common assault over the incident, WA police say.

The man is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court on August 18.

Ms Gillard laughed off Friday's egg-throwing incident and apologised to the policewoman who was splattered instead of her.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/man-who-threw-egg-at-pm-to-face-court

Egg-hurler fined for assault on PM in Perth

A Perth man who threw an egg at Prime Minister Julia Gillard but instead hit a police officer has been fined $1200 after pleading guilty to common assault.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/egghurler-fined-for-assault-on-pm-in-perth-20100818-12dbl.html

So he didn't even hit her with the egg and was charged and fined for common assault 🤔

The common link here is the context rather than the egg. In Gillard’s case it was the right and extreme right wing beying for Gillard’s blood in histrionic murderous tones: burn the witch, etc. Fast Forward to New Zealand and the Murderous language and tone again by the right and extreme right of Anti islam brjgade, egging nutters on as it were. Dutton and Morrison can’t have it both ways here; they’ve been caught out. They haven’t caused the terrorist act but they’ve played a role through deliberately creating fear and panic. Remember the whole Halal palarva?
The egg throwing is neither here nor there in my view in the sense that most people knew it was the wrong thing to do but derived pleasure seeing the person who deserved it most in many respects cop it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^Straight to the periphery.

The only pertinent point is that Anning has turned up in the same place, thousands of miles from his electorate, in the company of the same neo-Nazis twice, so far, this year.

Correct weight again P4S: John Safran’s book is illuminating and terrifying in some ways at the same time re the far and not so far right:
https://www.penguin.com.au/books/depends-what-you-mean-by-extremist-9780143789895

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:34 am

stui magpie wrote:
What's also interesting in this sideshow, is if Anning had of slipped on the egg and hit his head, causing injury, the kid could be charged under the coward punch legislation. Something to think about.

What? He cracked it on his head, not his shoe. But seriously, what’s next – jail terms for dropping banana peels on footpaths? Laughing

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:28 am

' "Egg Boy is an example of that complex communication," Safran says ... "What he did really communicated a vibe and it was really an answer to the conversation the far right was having. It was a way of having the conversation that cut through, which you can do when you realise that not everything is a Q&A panel or a Drum panel.

"You need to have these messy, stranger, more unmoderated conversations to get these points across. I mean, if communication was that easy, and the way you argue things was that easy, you could just come up with these arguments and then suddenly there would be peace in the world." '

https://www.theage.com.au/national/i-asked-john-safran-about-christchurch-so-he-talked-about-pewdiepie-20190322-p516of.html
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:24 pm

This is a pretty good article on the state of the conversation at present.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/toxic-tribalism-and-the-sad-broken-state-of-australian-conversation-20190321-p5160h.html

It has several examples of people being slammed online for making reasonable statements that some viewed as containing things they disagreed with, from both left and right.

Quote:
A common finding of psychological research is that, when we surround ourselves with like-minded people, our existing beliefs aren't simply reinforced. Our views actually become more extreme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13   

Jump to: