Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The War of Codes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

KenH wrote:
K wrote:
Ken, the other side to the Brady/Patriots story is alleged dodgy dealing, including ball tampering. (This is material for the ball tampering thread.)

e.g.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492189/article/tom-brady-suspension-case-timeline

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2018/08/02/tom-brady-rejected-alternative-deflategate-punishment/895231002/

So he is just another champion cheat? Had a look at some highlights of some games but not something that excites me.

Well, allegedly... I have to look at this in more detail in the ball tampering thread.

What I can't understand is why the NFL lets the teams supply and handle the game balls. It's insane. It's asking for trouble. (I think Akhtar's autobiography talks about how cricketers would sneak into the umpires' room to substitute the ball, so the umpires then started locking their room. Again, I have to verify and post in the ball tampering thread.)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 am

K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
KenH wrote:
Ha ha sorry K, been away working! Thanks for that now can you tell me is he worth watching?

He’s the greatest quarterback of all time. ...

Ken, the other side to the Brady/Patriots story is alleged dodgy dealing, including ball tampering. (This is material for the ball tampering thread.)

e.g.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492189/article/tom-brady-suspension-case-timeline

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2018/08/02/tom-brady-rejected-alternative-deflategate-punishment/895231002/

I don’t like Brady. The only footage of the Pats that I enjoy is Favre audibling 69 razor at the line of scrimmage against Bledsoe’s Super Bowl losing Pats in January 1997. I would have loved to see those Super Bowls Brady won taken by others. The assessment of his playing performance is not about who one likes or dislikes. He towers over everyone else.

The great QBs that most people admire (Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Favre etc) are , despite their famous exploits, left in the shade by Brady’s repeated and repeating successes.

He is the greatest of all-time even after the negatives are taken into account. For goodness’ sake, they ran an investigation into “deflate gate”, suspended him for the first part of the season and then the NFL found itself eating humble pie handing the Pats the Lombardi again (and again and, quite possibly, again).

In any event, you’ve allowed my original point to be completely hijacked. It was, put simply, that it was startling to me how there were sections of the American public who don’t know who Brady is. They might not like him and might not care about NFL but how could people not know who he is, there? He’s a ubiquitous presence. It would be like not knowing who Trump is.

It’s not surprising that Australians who don’t follow the sport have never heard of him but in the US it would plainly require a lack of awareness of amoebic proportions not to know who Brady is.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
... For goodness’ sake, they ran an investigation into “deflate gate”, suspended him for the first part of the season and then the NFL found itself eating humble pie handing the Pats the Lombardi again (and again and, quite possibly, again).

This is not eating humble pie. They came to the conclusion that he and others in the franchise cheated. They would only be forced to eat humble pie if conclusive evidence of innocence came to light.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:03 am

I’m sure the Commissioner greatly enjoyed handing Brady’s coach the Lombardi Trophy after that. With the Patriots trailing 28 to 3 in the third quarter of that game, I’m sure the authorities were feeling ok about the world. I imagine there may have been a little collective choking on their own vomit as they watched Brady complete the greatest ever comeback in NFL history and become the only player ever to throw for over 500 yards in a Super Bowl. Let’s try to put this in perspective - this is like an AFL star mid having 50 disposals in the last quarter of a Grand Final. We may want to see Matt Ryan’s Falcons hang on, because he seems like a nice guy, an accurate passer and “deserves” the accolade and also because we really don’t want Brady to do it again but, sadly, sport isn’t like that. In real life, the GOAT brings his team back to win with 31 unanswered points, drives the team down the field in overtime for the victory, gets the MVP award (thereby becoming the only player to be Super Bowl MVP 4 times) and becomes the only player to win 5 Super Bowls at QB (now, of course, 6).

I’m sure the Commissioner would join with you in embracing that there was no humble pie in that.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:05 am

I'll continue this in the ball tampering thread... but what does punishment for cheating in one year have to do with winning or losing in another year? The NFL powers may privately hate TB or BB, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:21 pm

"Me and Tom Brady are one in [sic] the same. We're going to play until we can't walk no more."

But the exchange didn't end there. Brady took to Twitter on Friday night to respond to James' comment.

"I'm playing until I can't dunk anymore," the Patriots QB responded. To which James wrote back, "Well I'm playing until I can't throw TD passes anymore."

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/11/15/lebron-james-retire-tom-brady-cant-walk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: