Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The War of Codes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
It’s deeply concerning that 12% of their population doesn’t know who Brady is. ...

Who's Tom Brady? Razz

"Mrs. Tom Brady" is on the right in this pic. But the guy on the left is not Mr. Tom Brady.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:10 am

And this is not-Mrs. not-Brady...

... but it feels like I'm going a bit off topic.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Harry Kane's NFL chances: Could he become an American football kicker?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/11841941/harry-kanes-nfl-chances-explored-with-the-help-of-clive-allen

"Although the striker hit a 50-yard field goal during a session with the New York Jets in 2017, that was a stationary ball on a kicking tee with no opposition, no pressure and no ticking clock.

Clive Allen once scored 49 goals in a season for Spurs ... before going on to enjoy an unlikely stint as kicker for the London Monarchs in NFL Europe.

"It is a very different technique to the one that you adopt when playing football," Allen explains. "That's the challenge. It took me a considerable amount of time just to hone my technique because the knee has to be locked and the toe has to be pointed. You would never kick a soccer ball in that way so it did take a lot of practice and a lot of perseverance.

"To a degree, the kick is controlled because the stepping off and the distance that you are coming from is consistent. But when the ball is snapped to the holder, you have to get the kick away very quickly because they are trying to block it and get across the flight of the ball.

"You are moving towards the holder as the centre is snapping the ball back to him so you have to start your run before the ball has actually been snapped. Those timings have to be honed. The kickers in the NFL make that all look very simple but, believe me, it is not."

It is this feature of the challenge that has caused some discomfort regarding the suggestion that Carli Lloyd, a two-time World Cup winner with the Unites States women's national team, could also make the switch to NFL. Lloyd caused a sensation in the summer when she nailed a 55-yard field goal during a practice with the Baltimore Ravens and the Philadelphia Eagles.

The subsequent buzz included several invitations from NFL teams to pursue it further. "I know that there are loads of people that are saying, you know, big men coming at you," said Lloyd. "I don't know. I'd have to seriously go out to the field. Helmet, pads, two-step, really get the technique down, really practise it and then kind of see from there if it's possible." "
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It’s deeply concerning that 12% of their population doesn’t know who Brady is. Perhaps that’s because it’s spelt “B R A D Y” but pronounced “Goat”.

Wouldn't have a clue what he looks like, I know that he plays quarterback in gridiron but don't know anything else about him.
So he is famous for playing a sport in USA that no-one else plays?

I tried watching it once I lasted 10 minutes and turned it off. I love all sports but couldn't get into that.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 am

Ken, I can help you. Do you want a pic of him helmet on or helmet off?

Or would you prefer more pics of exes of not-Brady?
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 pm

I have become too impatient to wait for Ken's reply. This may be a side-effect of watching too much T20 slogathon baloney.

Until he replies, I'll assume he wants Brady, helmet on.

Here he is, Ken!

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 pm

K wrote:
I have become too impatient to wait for Ken's reply. This may be a side-effect of watching too much T20 slogathon baloney.

Until he replies, I'll assume he wants Brady, helmet on.

Here he is, Ken!

Ha ha sorry K, been away working! Thanks for that now can you tell me is he worth watching?

K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 pm

Mike Trout (who, according to the survey result quoted on the last page needs a front-on pic):

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:45 pm

KenH wrote:
K wrote:
Ha ha sorry K, been away working! Thanks for that now can you tell me is he worth watching?

He’s the greatest quarterback of all time. 6 Super Bowl victories in a 32 team competition is a remarkable feat. I don’t barrack for the Pats but he and they have been ridiculously good for a long period of time. Some QBs have been better to watch (eg, Favre, Montana and Rodgers) but if it’s winning you want, then Brady puts all others in the shade. If you want to find out whether you might enjoy the game, watch this week’s Sunday night game (played about 12.15 pm Monday in Melbourne) - the Pats are playing the Ravens, who also have a gifted young QB, and the commentary team is the best in the business: Cris Collinsworth provides genuinely insightful special comments of a standard that hasn’t, in my view, been matched since Keith Miller did the Tests for the ABC. That’s on Kayo/ESPN2.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:54 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
KenH wrote:

He’s the greatest quarterback of all time. ... If you want to find out whether you might enjoy the game, watch this week’s Sunday night game (played about 12.15 pm Monday in Melbourne) - the Pats are playing the Ravens ..., and the commentary team is the best in the business: ... That’s on Kayo/ESPN2.

Ken, one thing you may not like is the low ratio of game time to total time. It can feel like the last 15 minutes of game time drag on for hours.

If Kayo lets you watch on demand, maybe you can do that and fast forward past all the endless breaks in play.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 am

K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
KenH wrote:

He’s the greatest quarterback of all time. ... If you want to find out whether you might enjoy the game, watch this week’s Sunday night game (played about 12.15 pm Monday in Melbourne) - the Pats are playing the Ravens ..., and the commentary team is the best in the business: ... That’s on Kayo/ESPN2.

Ken, one thing you may not like is the low ratio of game time to total time. It can feel like the last 15 minutes of game time drag on for hours.

If Kayo lets you watch on demand, maybe you can do that and fast forward past all the endless breaks in play.

I don't have access to Kayo or any streaming sites as our internet speeds are not up to it also mobile coverage is shit as well!

K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:51 pm

... why NBA players make more money than MLB and NFL athletes ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/05/why-nba-players-make-more-money-than-mlb-and-nfl-athletes.html

"The NFL is one of the biggest and most profitable sports leagues in the United States, yet average player salaries are less than their peers in the MLB and NBA. There are three big reasons for the disparity in pay: league structure, salary caps and rules around “guaranteed money” for players.

NBA pros have it especially good. In addition to having a higher average salary per player, they also make more money off the court than athletes in the NFL and MLB. That’s partly because NBA players have a bigger fan base outside the US."

Estimated annual revenue from TV rights

NFL $6.5B
NBA $2.6B
MLB $1.9B

Salary caps in 2019

NBA: $109,140,000
NFL: $188,200,000

"Guaranteed contracts aren't really a thing in the NFL."

Mike Trout has the highest-paying contract in baseball:
12-year $426.5M contract.
$2.5M annual endorsements.

NBA star Kevin Durant:
4-year $164M contract.
$300M 10-year deal with Nike.

Supermax contracts can take up about a third of an NBA franchise's salary cap.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:58 pm

KenH wrote:
I don't have access to Kayo or any streaming sites as our internet speeds are not up to it also mobile coverage is shit as well!

I guess you won't have seen the GOAT dismantled by the Ravens, then.

Ah, well - let me describe how he towers over the competition by showing you something you can watch on youtube: The Man Who Wore Alan Didak's Number wearing the hated purple-people-eater colours, doing what he did did week in, week out for 18 seasons (literally - he didn't miss a game because of injury in all that time). It's difficult to imagine but the man throwing for the Vikings in this vid won one-sixth as many Super Bowls during his fabled career as Brady has done so far.

Dallas Cowboys fans might wish to look away, now. To put this in context, this is a knockout game in the second week of the playoffs (finals), past the Great One's 40th birthday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO2-YG9238s

And here he is the following season - at age 41 - having the most passing yards in a match in the whole of his startling career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUdhWvadYvo

And just think, Brady is 6 times as successful as that man was. 6 times as successful as a man who was so great at what he did that there is a separate wikipedia page devoted just to his career achievements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Brett_Favre
K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:53 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
KenH wrote:

He’s the greatest quarterback of all time. ...

Ken, the other side to the Brady/Patriots story is alleged dodgy dealing, including ball tampering. (This is material for the ball tampering thread.)

e.g.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492189/article/tom-brady-suspension-case-timeline

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2018/08/02/tom-brady-rejected-alternative-deflategate-punishment/895231002/
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm

K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
KenH wrote:

He’s the greatest quarterback of all time. ...

Ken, the other side to the Brady/Patriots story is alleged dodgy dealing, including ball tampering. (This is material for the ball tampering thread.)

e.g.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492189/article/tom-brady-suspension-case-timeline

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2018/08/02/tom-brady-rejected-alternative-deflategate-punishment/895231002/

So he is just another champion cheat? Had a look at some highlights of some games but not something that excites me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: