Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are we entering the era of the small ruckman?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP is on the wrong track. Guys like Grigg are considered dead in the second ruck role because they'll never be able to compete in the air and win possession.

Previously the hope with Grigg was that he could effectively provide another midfielder around the contest, with less likelihood that the ruckman would feel game to grab it out of the Ruck. That's now redundant.

We are well positioned with Grundy (and to a lesser extent also with Cox as our 2nd ruck) as our ruckman under the new rules.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 am

Just an interesting point—as next generation adapt to the technological age will the next generation rucks adapt to the upcoming style of ruck play

In our case will Max Lynch learn and be tutored by Brody Grundy as he learns new ruck craft

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:42 am

But it's not a "New Rule" at all.... it's the abolition of a stupid rule, brought in 15 years ago....

Play-on to be called if a player unnecessarily delays disposal after mark or free.
Playing on from a kick-in after the registering of a behind permitted provided that the ball is kicked clear of hand and foot within the goal-square.
Shepherding at centre bounce ruck contests outlawed.
Elimination of advantage free from a centre square infringement.
Penalty introduced for deliberate tapping of ball out-of-bounds on the full in a ruck contest.
Player catching ball from centre or field bounce or throw-in to be deemed to have had prior opportunity to dispose of it.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 am

Irrespective of new rule or abolish of a stupid rule it has to be by current
rucks addressed and part of their craft

How well the adjust may well impact the teams success—or lack of

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:07 pm
Post subject: Re: Are we entering the era of the small ruckman?Reply with quote

Woods wrote:
The change to the rules that will now allow players taking part in ruck contests to grab the ball (without risk of being penalised for holding if they can't dispose of it when tackled) means that ruckmen don't have to be tall.

A coach pursuing a ruck strategy of having his ruckman grab the ball and kick or handball to advantage (rather than tap) is not restricted to selecting only from the talls on his list. A shorter player who has great leap after a few steps might be the better option.

For example, think of a Jamie Elliot or Jeremy Howe type in this role. Not only do they have the ability to reach the ball at height but having taken possession they have faster acceleration and greater agility to clear the ruck contest than would a traditional tall, loping ruckman.

Many have said this new rule change will reinforce the survival of the tall ruckman in the game. In practice it may turn out to have the opposite influence and create a new beast - the short ruckman.

That is the most ridiculous comment on the new rules I’ve seen yet. If that was going to happen then how did ruckman survive in the 105 seasons of AFL where the “new” rule was the rule? The new rule is just a repeal of the rule introduced in early 2000’s as ruckman were often grabbing the ball, getting tackled and creating more stoppages... The repealed rule was purely to get the game flowing more and limit stoppages.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 pm

And I think the current rucks (Grundy & Gawn especially) are miles apart from
2,000 ruckmen

More intent in creating an open game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: