Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Introducing the Greatest midfield the AFL has ever seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is complaining? Inky says: "I don't necessarily believe we made a mistake."

Beams didn't come for free. Brisbane got more than enough back as compensation.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:56 am

^Basically we got Crisp, Greenwood, Varcoe, JDG and Beams back for pick 18. That's the trade of the century
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:25 pm

Potentially we could have Sier and Wells available soon to provide extra dimensions to our already deep midfield list. Beams is a goal kicking midfielder, which is what we needed. Seems we will also see more of De Goey playing in the guts, where he is a beast. Overall, we are blessed to have such a quality midfield group.

As for our up and coming talent, the jury is still out on Brown, and time is fast running out for young Daicos to push his name forward. Who knows, in a year or so, Quaynor may turn out to be a midfielder?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:57 pm

^^Yes, we definitely have a great group of mids. If we get Stevo, Elliott, WHE... up the ground more and can release Treloar into a more outside role, then our lack of pace is not such a great issue. Though I disagree that our need was for a goal kicking mid. All of JDG, Stevo, Sidey and even Treloar are capable of kicking goals and playing midfield.

I am happy to add Beams to our midfield, just "disappointed" that we couldn't have used the free hit afforded us by the Quaynor situation into longer term value and a mid that better addressed our weakness (either marking or pace). Especially so as our Nemesis have added one of the quickest players in the comp to their 22 in Petruccelle.

Quaynor is a very important addition and exactly the type of player we needed, whether he ends up as a career defender or a mid at some point. Very much hoping he can have an impact this year. Physically he's certainly ready, so I'd be concerned if he wasn't able to break into the 22.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^Basically we got Crisp, Greenwood, Varcoe, JDG and Beams back for pick 18. That's the trade of the century

You can't include the Beams out trade (and including Varcoe is not right, anyway). They are separate trades.

And we did not get him back for pick 18. It would have been good if we did, but unfortunately that's not what happened. We paid far more for him than that.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

We got Varcoe for Lamumba - the pick we got from the Dees being ontraded to Geelong.

That trade has turned out to be almost as good as the Beams for JDG, Crisp and Greenwood deal. Getting Beams back for this year's pick 17 or 18 is a great deal for us, as we are right in our Premiership window and Beams is a Premiership player.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:46 pm

The 2 Beams trades have to be viewed separately
First time round we got JDG Greenwood Crisp for him which was a win looking at how JDG & Crisp have turned out
Second time around we gave them pick 17 and whatever our 1st round pick is in 2019 (likely between 12-16)
We got Beams who came for all the right reasons and added another bow to midfield
It's only early days and players are making adjustments to what we did last year but adding a player who's a top 10 in his position in his prime for what really could have been a couple speculative picks is a big win
I spoke to Dayne on Thursday morning to see how he's traveling being back at th pies and he said he's loving his return
Made mention of how relaxed the place seemed to when he left
Said he's loving the new players his met since he left
Said he and Bucks have really connected this time round and appreciates the little tips Bucks is passing on in the review each week
Asked him what player really impressed him so far and he said on the field has been Crisp and his work ethic off field said Scharenberg and his diligence in his rehab and said if anyone deserves a chance to get a run of luck it's him
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Getting Beams back for this year's pick 17 or 18 is a great deal for us, as we are right in our Premiership window and Beams is a Premiership player.

It was not just for this year's pick 17 or 18. I don't know why people keep saying something that is totally false.

qldmagpie67 wrote:
The 2 Beams trades have to be viewed separately
First time round we got JDG Greenwood Crisp for him which was a win looking at how JDG & Crisp have turned out....

Yep. And, talking about the Beams deal, Nicksters like to go on about IQ & WK, who are separate from the trade too.

All the media thought we paid overs for Beams, but that's okay. We just gambled on the present and left the future to itself.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:36 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I spoke to Dayne on Thursday morning to see how he's traveling being back at th pies and he said he's loving his return
Made mention of how relaxed the place seemed to when he left
Said he's loving the new players his met since he left
Said he and Bucks have really connected this time round and appreciates the little tips Bucks is passing on in the review each week
Asked him what player really impressed him so far and he said on the field has been Crisp and his work ethic off field said Scharenberg and his diligence in his rehab and said if anyone deserves a chance to get a run of luck it's him

Interesting insight. Thanks for posting.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:39 pm

Once again, Pendlebury and Grundy tore out the opposition’s heart but we struggled to get clearances and few of the ones we got were decisive. Our lack of midfield cohesion is a worry. Perhaps they’re just working gradually into the season but we seem to be carrying a few, so far. Given that Sidey has been forced to run the wing (I hope WHE will do that when he’s fit and we have a full hand of forwards), the poor showings by some of the others are leaving us a little exposed.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm

I just don't think Beams is adding much of anything. Only two clearances today. He's slow and a poor two way runner. We need to try and use his one clear asset a bit more, goal kicking from 50+.

If Sier improved his fitness from 2018 he's a better fit for our midfield than Beams. He provides a point of difference with his size and is a better clearance winner. It won't be easy to play he and Beams together, they are both poor defensive runners.

A bit like Melbourne, we don't have a great balance to our midfield, though we do at least have two genuine wingers. Our "troubles" this year have been a bit over stated, we've mostly won clearances and contested ball, just not as clearly as we'd like. Today was the exception more than the rule where we lost clearances by 11, but we did still win the territory battle. Kick straighter and this game's not so tight.

Hopefully we can improve as Beams learns to fit in better, but from the outset he just isn't the type we needed to add.

Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Once again, Pendlebury and Grundy tore out the opposition’s heart but we struggled to get clearances and few of the ones we got were decisive. Our lack of midfield cohesion is a worry. Perhaps they’re just working gradually into the season but we seem to be carrying a few, so far. Given that Sidey has been forced to run the wing (I hope WHE will do that when he’s fit and we have a full hand of forwards), the poor showings by some of the others are leaving us a little exposed.

To be honest i think any opposition would have struggled to clear the ball under that much pressure. Essendon did well to hold us. Essendon are a good side so id be more concerned if it was a busted up mob that was shutting us down.

Anyhoo. We won. They didn't

Go Pies

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I just don't think Beams is adding much of anything. Only two clearances today. He's slow and a poor two way runner. We need to try and use his one clear asset a bit more, goal kicking from 50+.

If Sier improved his fitness from 2018 he's a better fit for our midfield than Beams. He provides a point of difference with his size and is a better clearance winner. It won't be easy to play he and Beams together, they are both poor defensive runners.

A bit like Melbourne, we don't have a great balance to our midfield, though we do at least have two genuine wingers. Our "troubles" this year have been a bit over stated, we've mostly won clearances and contested ball, just not as clearly as we'd like. Today was the exception more than the rule where we lost clearances by 11, but we did still win the territory battle. Kick straighter and this game's not so tight.

Hopefully we can improve as Beams learns to fit in better, but from the outset he just isn't the type we needed to add.

You’re preaching to the converted about Beams. I spent years wanting us to get rid of him and thought it was bizarre that we brought him back. I don’t understand why a team full of slow gun midfielders would recruit another slow not-quite good enough midfielder. He’s been OK in a couple of games but he’s just an accumulator - he was only ever useful when he kicked bags of goals and even then his impact was generally overrated. Frankly, we look about half as good with him in the team. Maybe he can turn it around and look like a star AFL player, since that’s what they apparently imagined they were recruiting but, at the moment, it’s hard to see it happening. He just isn’t much of a footballer, really.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:56 pm

^^I posted elsewhere that I'm getting more disappointed in the recruitment of Beams the more I see of him play. We had enough accumulators in the middle, what we needed to add was an impact player. We had two first round picks to try and do this. It was an opportunity to elevate our team and I think we've missed it.

I think I rate Beams higher than you do. He is a quality player and I see why it was tough for us to rebuff his desire to return. The hypothetical mid we could have added is just that and therefore difficult to compare. Who could we have got? We'll never know, so I'm not saying we made the wrong move, just that it wasn't ideal. One that can still work despite not being the best possible outcome.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:56 pm

Leggie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Once again, Pendlebury and Grundy tore out the opposition’s heart but we struggled to get clearances and few of the ones we got were decisive. ...

To be honest i think any opposition would have struggled to clear the ball under that much pressure. Essendon did well to hold us. Essendon are a good side so id be more concerned if it was a busted up mob that was shutting us down.

If Essendon are a good side, their results so far this year don't show it at all. It's the same for many of our opponents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 31 of 33   

Jump to: