Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Introducing the Greatest midfield the AFL has ever seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody expected our line up last year, especially our forward line. it was ranked 15th going into the season. This year may present new suprises.

FB: Langdon - Dunn - Howe
HB: Quaynor - Moore - Crisp
C: Treloar - Adams - Maynard
HF: Steele - Mihocek - Stephenson
FF: Elliot - Mason Cox - Hoskin-Elliot
Foll: Grundy - DeGoey - Beams
Int : Thomas - Pendles - Mayne - Wells/Daicos

This is how i see us getting the most of our squad.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:48 am

TaylorMade wrote:
K wrote:
Maybe the around-the-ground clearance rate is good because we can crowd 12 players around the ball there. Have you thought about that?

Agree but to me a clearence is a clearence, Does'nt matter where you get them. As long as you get the ball forward. These stats are unforgiving they tell no lies. Only quality players make the clearence list. And you will notice its the same players getting the clearences whether its centre or stoppage clearence.

In contrast, Sure Tom Phillips may have a high disposal average. And that can be decieving. How many are meaningful, how many are simple one-two's to accumulate disposals? How many were effective? how many were backwards?

As it stands we dont have a player inside the Top-10 leauge average with Taylor Adams ranked 11th. And people wonder why Tay is so important. Thats where imo JDG(unknown) and Beams(16th) come into the picture.

Grundy ranked 23rd and could be a big improver.

And that there is your 4 Horsemen. Grundy Adams Beams JDG

There is a big difference between centre clearances and around the ground clearances ( PRE 2019 )
If you won a centre clearance, you were generally handing it back to the oppositions extra defender ( s ) more often than not. Then the opposition had the ball despite “ us “ having won the clearance.
It’s generally more damaging to win an around the ground stoppage because you have probably won it on the back of even numbers at the contest ( no team wants to have less at a stoppage )
This means there is less chance of an opposition extra holding you up further down the ground.

Winning a game of footy is the sum of all parts. If you have a great defensive structure and the best intercept players, you don’t need to win centre clearances that often in order to win the game ( see Richmond and Pies )
The Dogs won a flag with Roughead and Boyd as their ruckmen.
Richmond won a flag with the worst ( maybe second worst ? ) centre clearance numbers in the comp in 2017.
Things might change for the first few seconds in the centre from 2019 onwards and that could make a difference for some over a season but winning CENTRE clearances aren’t the be all and end all in footy.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Check every other team that has won a grand final, and see if centre cclearenas are not important. Your pointing out the minority. Buckley has always said it starts by winning the ball from the middle. West Coast used a 675 formation which further proves the importance of centre clearences

And Taylor Adams had too much weight on his shoulders for most of the season.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Checking. . . stand by.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Make no mistakes about pecking orders, if Collingwood wins a Flag this year Adams DeGoey Beams Treloar will be the key. Steele Sidebottom shined more last year due to Treloars absence. Don't forget who took his votes in the Brownlow the year before.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:21 pm

I think we'd probably all be of the view, if we stopped to think about it, that our last two Copeland Trophy winners are our most important mids. Thatd'd be Grundy (0.5 wins) and Sidey (1.5 wins).

The midfield "pecking order" is (top 4) Grundy, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Treloar, (next 4) Cox, Wells (if he can stand unassisted) or JDG if Wells is permanently broken, Adams, Phillips with Stephenson, C Brown, J Daicos, Sier, Aish, Wills, Thomas, Greenwood, Mayne and Beams for depth.

We have too many one-paced mids who lack any particular size or class in that last batch of 10, so you'd hope that Stevo, Daicos, Brown and Sier would be the ones amongst that lot to get an occasional run on the ball.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think we'd probably all be of the view, if we stopped to think about it, that our last two Copeland Trophy winners are our most important mids. Thatd'd be Grundy (0.5 wins) and Sidey (1.5 wins).

The midfield "pecking order" is (top 4) Grundy, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Treloar, (next 4) Cox, Wells (if he can stand unassisted) or JDG if Wells is permanently broken, Adams, Phillips with Stephenson, C Brown, J Daicos, Sier, Aish, Wills, Thomas, Greenwood, Mayne and Beams for depth.

We have too many one-paced mids who lack any particular size or class in that last batch of 10, so you'd hope that Stevo, Daicos, Brown and Sier would be the ones amongst that lot to get an occasional run on the ball.

Best does not mean, most important
Skill does not mean Leader
Light frames can be broken by muscle
A cook prepares what the hunter kills
Collingwood best and fairest are not judged in finals
There is more than meets the eye
Some players can be tagged (sidey)
Some players are untaggable ( jdg, Treloar )

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:39 pm

It's purely a subjective view, but fwiw, here's my order of our most important midfielders:

Grundy
Pendles
Sidey
Adams
Treloar
Beams
Phillips
Sier
Thomas

Plus depth players (mainly VFL):

Greenwood
Wills
Daicos
T. Brown
C. Brown

I don't rate Wells as he's hardly fired a shot in the 2 yrs he's been with us.

I haven't listed JDG, as he is destined, for the foreseeable future, to play mainly as a forward.

It's a moot point I guess, but for similar reasons I haven't listed Varcoe, Stephenson or WHE, as I see them as wing/forward players, rather than central midfielders.

I suspect that Sier may climb up that list, but atm he's still a work in progress.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It's purely a subjective view, but fwiw, here's my order of our most important midfielders:

Grundy
Pendles
Sidey
Adams
Treloar
Beams
Phillips
Sier
Thomas

Plus depth players (mainly VFL):

Greenwood
Wills
Daicos
T. Brown
C. Brown

I don't rate Wells as he's hardly fired a shot in the 2 yrs he's been with us.

I haven't listed JDG, as he is destined, for the foreseeable future, to play mainly as a forward.

It's a moot point I guess, but for similar reasons I haven't listed Varcoe, Stephenson or WHE, as I see them as wing/forward players, rather than central midfielders.

I suspect that Sier may climb up that list, but atm he's still a work in progress.

By the end of the season, pecking order will be..

Treloar/DeGoey
Beams
Grundy
Adams
Steele
Pendle
Thomas
Sier
Daicos

TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:31 pm

It's only pre season jlt, but I believe we are seeing the beginning of the end for Richmond. The defensive wall is down, the village is free to attack. Also Hawthorn is not going to drop without Tom Mitchell, Omeara will take his place and Clarkson will most likely adjust to the new rules better than anyone.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Like Sydney, Hawthorn will be improved by the absence of Mitchell.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm constantly amazed that the media and public are still on Rich after what happened in the prelim. They think that was just an accident. To me, the only reason for optimism at Rich is Lynch (whose PCL injury is a bit of a question mark).

If Rich crash and burn, objectively this should be a relief for footy lovers, because they are just bad for football.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:10 pm

K wrote:
I'm constantly amazed that the media and public are still on Rich after what happened in the prelim. They think that was just an accident. To me, the only reason for optimism at Rich is Lynch (whose PCL injury is a bit of a question mark).

If Rich crash and burn, objectively this should be a relief for footy lovers, because they are just bad for football.

Geelong were equally embarrassed in the 2010 PF and won the flag in 2011.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:10 pm

K wrote:

Reiwolt and Rance have publicly questioned the acquisition of Lynch, recipe for disaster my friend

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:13 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
K wrote:
I'm constantly amazed that the media and public are still on Rich after what happened in the prelim. ...

Geelong were equally embarrassed in the 2010 PF and won the flag in 2011.

Geelong were a good team. (A great one, perhaps.)

It's not the prelim that determined my opinion, but the public and media have their opinions formed too much by end results (a premiership), although a lot of things lead to that end result, only one of which is merit. One might have thought that a countering end result (prelim loss) would snap them out of their trance. Apparently not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 27 of 33   

Jump to: