Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Transgender politics and social issues

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, transgenderism is not only tolerated in Iran but actively encouraged.
So progressive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29832690
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:52 am

Nobody's pretending that Iran is a socially progressive country. The point is that it's much better to be transgender than gay there, and that the society will be much more tolerant of trans people than gay people – as that article quite vividly demonstrates.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:13 am

Context matters.
If you're tolerant of transgenderism because you see gender reassignment as a way to "fix" homosexuals then perhaps you're not really that tolerant of transgenderism.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 pm

http://thefederalist.com/2018/11/26/mom-dresses-six-year-old-son-girl-threatens-dad-losing-son-disagreeing/

One side of the story but interesting nonetheless.
One parent is committing child abuse but which one?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Context matters.
If you're tolerant of transgenderism because you see gender reassignment as a way to "fix" homosexuals then perhaps you're not really that tolerant of transgenderism.

As often seems to be the case, I think you're trying so hard to fight a straw man and play "gotcha" that you're missing the forest for the trees (and also the context in which I even raised Iran to begin with). Ronrat claimed that, in defending transgender rights, Faruqi was somehow being a hypocrite or betraying the basic principles of her religion. My point was that this isn't true and that, even when we put liberal Muslims like Faruqi (who, like liberal Christians, might well have social views that are in radical contrast to scripture) to one side, even some of the most conservative Muslims seem to, in fact, take a curiously tolerant approach to transgender rights (curious given their overt hostility towards gay people). What this means in practice is that, for people in Iran who are actually transgender (as opposed to gay and being pressured to transition), things actually aren't quite as bad as they could be and possibly even better than they were in some western countries not so long ago.

Whether that itself is a socially progressive view or evidence of a broader socially progressive tendency in conservative Islam seems to me an absurd question given that conservative Islam is, by its very nature, not socially progressive. Given we're talking about a country in which homosexuality is punishable by death, it goes without saying that this policy won't necessarily be of great benefit to gay people and may add to their persecution.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:44 pm

Why does me putting islam's supposed tolerance of transgenderism into context upset you?
Don't you think it's relevant to know that this tolerance is based upon the Iranian regime seeing transgenderism as a "cure" for homosexuality?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:15 pm

The article is interesting and certainly relevant in terms of a broader discussion of LGBTI rights in Iran, but my response relates to your accompanying sarcastic commentary, which implied that I was arguing something I wasn't (and something that was, in fact, not at all relevant to the immediate point of discussion or thread as a whole).

In any case, your justification a couple of posts above is illogical:

Quote:
Context matters.

On the contrary, it indicates that the Iranian government is more or less tolerant of transgender but very intolerant of homosexuality. Doesn't it occur to you that it could just as easily be the other way around (i.e. that gender transition rather than homosexuality could have been the thing that a conservative regime would seek to crack down on as perverse and immoral), or that both forms of persecution could quite easily occur simultaneously? Indeed, here in Australia, we're at a point at which the religious right is beginning to show signs of some grudging acceptance towards homosexuality and has instead shifted its family values campaigns to attacks on transgender identity and the social acceptance thereof – which is to say that, here, gender rather than sexual orientation appears to be seen as the final bastion of traditional social values.

One can draw any number of conclusions as to why the reverse has happened in Iran – perhaps it's a symptom of fundamentalist literalism (I'm presuming that the Koran, like the Bible, contains no explicit prohibitions on gender transition), or even an example of very limited social progress fought for and won (despite its various negative impacts on gay Iranians). That's all very interesting, undoubtedly. But whether it relates to RR's assertion and my rebuttal of it is another matter, and I think there should be a reasonable expectation that people here take the time to read what has actually been written and respond in good faith.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 pm

....ok,,
so is this offensive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

pointing out someone cant have babies due to lack of biological equipment is no ones fault ; not even conservatives, or is reality just symbolic? Smile

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Look, I love Monty Python, but it’s a scene that’s pretty directly making fun of transgender people (and it’s not just hypersensitive “snowflakes” who recognise that; read the YouTube comments), and has probably aged pretty badly as a result. I’m sure plenty of people would find it offensive. That doesn’t mean you’re not entitled to find it funny. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://disruptingdinnerparties.com/2014/08/13/let-stan-be-loretta-monty-python-gender/

Quote:
When I was younger, I used to love this joke. It seemed such a refreshing corrective to identity-obsessed politics that put in place all the strange sort of people I had encountered who, in their gender non-conformity, made me uncomfortable. That the question was simply one of reality versus delusion, of unsound or silly people versus solid and rational ones, was a comforting thought – even if I only engaged in it indirectly, without hardly realizing. Not until years later, after a massive political reorientation and realization of my own hang-ups and misjudgments, did I realize how £$%$ed up the joke was. It is obviously transphobic. I can’t possibly see any other way to explain why it might be received as humorous.

I say this not at all to condemn Python or write their body of work off as somehow all saturated with sexism and gender normative politics; on the contrary, it stands out precisely because so much of Python involves a cultural critique of received wisdom, sexual repression, and unquestioned authority. But by the same token, no one is perfect, and clearly, there were limits even to the critical brilliance of Python in the late-1970s – and in fact, I think it is interesting to also think about other gender dynamics at play in their work.

Last edited by David on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:54 pm

^
I find it funnier now more than ever..
but lets unpack this a bit , is it reasonable to offer transgender people IVF just as a gesture of our collective virtue and solidarity?

even if they cant have babies

and i'm not trying to oppress anyone.

but; what if the pythons got together and did another skit 50 years down the track offering Stan a box for the fetus to gestate in.......it just gets funnier .... even if I feel bad for laughing.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:40 pm

The things we find funny often relate directly to our own life experience or lack thereof. When I was 18 and had my first car, I briefly thought it would be really funny (in a pitch-black kind of way) if I put a “dead baby on board” sign in the back window. While I never went through with it, it only occurred to me a few years later that a lot of people woud not have seen the funny side of this at all, and that it was not entirely impossible that I might, say, come back to find my windows smashed in a carpark one day. I also realised that it wasn’t just uptight puritans who might find that offensive, but that it might be genuinely upsetting for women who had actually endured miscarriages or lost children in other ways. I hadn’t experienced that and neither had anyone close to me, so it just didn’t occur to me that it might have that effect.

Now, the Monty Python scene might not quite be as tasteless as that, but I still can imagine transgender people who’ve endured years of abuse and people mocking and dismissing their identities watching it totally stone-faced – not “offended” (such an overused term) because they’re uptight prigs, but genuinely upset by being, for the hundredth time, the butt of the joke. (And let’s be careful not to make monolithic presumptions about social groups; I’m sure some trans people find that scene sidesplittingly funny.) But of course to a group of British male comedians in 1979 and the vast majority of their audience, transgender people were freaks and punchlines in their own right. And to people who aren’t trans today, aren’t friends or family members of anyone who is and aren’t overly politically engaged in those issues, the scene probably still generates easy laughs.

What do we do with that reality? I think a bit of common sense and nuance never hurts. Personally, I’ve never believed in banning humour because some people find it offensive. There are few jokes worth making that don’t have the capacity to upset somebody, and I think it’s important that even tasteless and dumb offensive humour be protected from censorship. There is a space for pitch-black humour of even the kind that my insensitive 18-year-old self dreamed up. But by the same token, let’s have a little empathy for people (particularly those from minorities and other relatively voiceless groups) who can’t laugh because the joke is, literally, on them.

What that means is that there’s a time and place for some jokes – like, for instance, a dark joke shared between friends, compared with a bumper sticker on a car that everyone can see whether they like it or not – and an ability to acknowledge that a thing we find funny might genuinely hurt someone else’s feelings; and that, while it’s okay to still find it funny, it’s probably worth keeping in mind how it might affect others. That latter realisation is just basic emotional intelligence in action, I think.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:33 am

^
I get all of that and to some degree accept it but what ever we do we can not change biological reality, and this gets to the core why we see a lot of trans suicides. One of the things that no one wants to talk about is sex change regret:
https://world.wng.org/content/sex_change_regret_silenced

We may look back on this era in 100 years time with the same view we now have of the lobotomies that took place in the 1930's.
http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/29/10-ways-transgender-push-mirrors-lobotomy-craze/

Doctors make jokes about lobotomy surgery all the time. The lives they destroyed were not funny yet they still laugh at the absurdity of the procedure.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:14 am

I have no doubt that there are some cases of regret, but the impression I get (anecdotally, and from the cases I've read about) is that a lot of transgender people find life quite unbearable before they begin the transitioning process, and generally live much better and more stable lives after (if they live in a society that doesn't attack them, discriminate against them or generally do its best to make their lives miserable).

Certainly, a consensus seems to have emerged in the medical community around 20–30 years ago, long before transgender became a fashionable political topic (the latter of which has really only been occurring over the course of the last decade), that facilitating transition is the most effective "treatment" for gender dysphoria (the feeling of being trapped in someone else's body). And of course, as I've written about earlier in the thread, there's evidence suggesting that dysphoria is not just a "feeling" but something that can be rooted in actual physiology.

Lastly, a common misunderstanding is that gender can be understood as a pure reflection of "biological reality". I don't know if you can be bothered watching a half-hour YouTube video, but I thought this was a fairly entertaining and intellectually rigorous riposte to the arguments of Shapiro et al:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbINLWtMKI

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:17 am

Monty Python was very, very funny, wasn’t it?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Pi wrote:
....ok,,
so is this offensive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

pointing out someone cant have babies due to lack of biological equipment is no ones fault ; not even conservatives, or is reality just symbolic? Smile

I like this in the comments section...

truthfilter
1 year ago
now the joke is on us we are living in a monty python sketch.

Yep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13   

Jump to: