Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How to fix the AFLW team

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm
Post subject: How to fix the AFLW teamReply with quote

We're not here to party. We're here to win. If you want to be taken seriously, then you need to work hard and play harder. Get fit, stay fit and dont give up. Run, chase, tackle, shepherd, and fkn win. The kicking skills will improve, but the basic stuff needs to be imbedded into their brains. Kill for Collingwood.

From a previous post:

Presti35 wrote:
My observation is that the players are not coached to their strengths.

This is still true. The coach has some serious questions to answer. Is there a game plan at all? Or is it just "kick as hard as u can?". How fit are the players? They should have been 100% ready to go this year. Work them harder.

Presti35 wrote:
1. Kicking sideways is not an option in this league. Why? Because they are not at a level where they can comfortably and consistently hit the target. And that's fine, it will take some time for this league to get the skill up.

So dont kick the thing sideways as 99 times out of 100 it misses the target and causes a turnover. This happened too many times against GWS and it cost us the match.

Also, still true. DO NOT kick the ball sideways. Always, always FKN ALWAYS kick the ball towards goal. Happened plenty of times against the Demons this week. I'm not saying just bomb it every time. But kicking it sideways does not offer any advantage to our players. Even when wide open, the target is missed or the opposition catch up to quickly.

Presti35 wrote:
2. No one presents them self. We are forced to go to contests almost every time. Teach them to put on a screen and free up someone to run into a bit of space. I know hitting that open player can be a challenge for some of the players, but at least it will give the open player some chance.

Still true. Not expecting 100% perfection as it takes time to get the game plan in effect, but at least get the ball rolling here.

Presti35 wrote:
3. Shepherding an opponent is a basic skill of Aussie Rules. It's not like we have shepherd of the year awards and we dont remember our all time favourites by the shepherds they made during their career. But it's something that is essential in winning games. It's not something that takes a huge amount of skill either.

It's just not happening in our AFLW team. Far too often, two players are going for the ball when opponents are putting on pressure. Put your damn arms out like you're playing airports and look at those extra few seconds you've brought your teammate.

Still true. Where's the coach? Basic stuff here.

Presti35 wrote:
4. Dont try to kick the thing as far as you can every time. You're not Sav Rocca. The game plan should be based around the short game, but again players need to present them self as a short option, which doesn't happen.

You only need to belt the thing when in complete doubt.

I just feel like there is no plan of attack and the players are stuck without any options when going forward.

True. True. True.

We also shouldnt be taking shots from 40+ Set shots have been terrible and all the snaps ive seen have been shockers. Goal kicking will take time but we need to be coached to get the ball within 30 and we must be improving our awareness of where the goals actually are. No good snapping into nothing. Dont be scared to play on.

I'd also like the team to have an actual home ground. Wether it be Vic Park or Olympic Park. I understand the value of playing games in country towns, but we need to have a home base.

Now. How to fix the AFLW as a competition?

The umpiring. F me. Help the game flow. Dont stand there and chat about who touched the ball last? And what did you see? Just make the call there on the spot. Take control of the game and be in charge. When you look unsure and are asking other umpires what thy think is embarrasing and makes you look like you have no idea whats going on. Get your damn act together and dont be affraid to make the call.

Shorter quarters? No. The scoring is low enough. I'd like to see both competing teams kick at least 6 goals in a game. Is that unrealistic? 12 goals in a game of footy?

How to make it flow? We cant shorten the grounds. Should there be less players on the field? Do we need to bring in zones? That'd help with flooding I guess. Just do something to bring the scores up.

As supporters, we want to be able to cheer the team on. Get everyone on the same page that the AFLW has a place here. Don't show up with unfit players, no game plan and finish a game with 1 goal on the board. That will get it nowhere.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We eagerly await P35's thoughts after the latest performance.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:49 pm

It’s not too late for most of them to take up a sport.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 pm

The standard has definitely improved except for our poorly organised/structured/developed/run team.

Every person involved in the first two years should return their salaries for the shambles that they created from scratch.

Whilst most teams are striving for a premiership, we are unbelievably “rebuilding” after two seasons.

How is that even possible??

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Next week I can either watch a rubbish game or got to watch the Thai LPGA 20 minutes from here and watch world class women playing a game they are actually good at.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:20 am

And what do people think about the annual joint training session our club has?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:17 pm

My perception when I watch (torture myself) them is that we are developing the skill level of players and trying to teach them the game. A lot of them can run but struggle with the aspect of disposal. I watch them play and it's like when I coached U14's and the main reason is the talent pool is very thin. They won't be winning games anytime soon and have to keep the talent whilst developing. The issue will be the better players want to win and will eventually look elsewhere. The coach is a development coach and whilst I would not have him as coach I don't see the point on changing him. Accept that we are developing players and wins will be few and far between for a few years.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:07 pm

From the very little I've watched, I've seen players that have played for us carving it up now for other teams. Why have we lost gun players?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Our foray into woman sport - AFL and Netball have both been disasters.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:28 pm

didick wrote:
From the very little I've watched, I've seen players that have played for us carving it up now for other teams. Why have we lost gun players?

They were poached by North.

North and Cats were given free reign to sign players form other teams. Cats decided to go more for local talent & youth. North wanted instant success.

You will find constant player movement as they seek to make the most of any $$ on offer.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:28 pm

didick wrote:

They were poached by North.

North and Cats were given free reign to sign players form other teams. Cats decided to go more for local talent & youth. North wanted instant success.

You will find constant player movement as they seek to make the most of any $$ on offer.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Meanwhile, Nicole Livingstone is being forced to backstroke her way out of criticism of the conference system (presumably a decision she had no part in making):

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aflw-boss-calls-for-patience-on-conference-system-20190219-p50ypm.html
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:00 am

K wrote:
We eagerly await P35's thoughts after the latest performance.

I swear I am going to streak the next time one of them kicks it sideways.

Join me K?

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 pm

What's wrong with Collingwood's AFLW side?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/what-s-wrong-with-collingwood-s-aflw-side-20190227-p510kq.html

"Many people involved with the team in its first two years say it was not a harmonious camp until this year. Several spoke of a discord between high-profile players and the coaching team, headlined by a verbal tirade directed at a coach in front of the team by one player.

Mathew James was head of women's football operations for the 2018 season and took part in list management up until the end of the 2018 post-season trade period, when those players left.

He says Collingwood wanted to keep all the players, but were unwilling or unable to match the offers of expansion clubs such as North Melbourne.
"When you’ve got clubs like North Melbourne and expansion clubs currently, they’re going to inflate prices of players, no different to the men’s programs. When you’ve got opportunities for players to change clubs for a bit of extra money or a car or those things, at some point you’ve got to draw the line, and go 'OK, this is where we stand as a football club, this is where we see your value.'"

More than one player who left is said to have felt they were not being developed or challenged at Collingwood."
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 pm

So its a coaching thing? Or is it the classic "its someone elses fault, not mine".

Are Collingwood taking this seriously? And are the players taking it seriously?

From an outsiders view, I do feel like the coach needs to be moved on. To be winless in a fairly even competition is ridiculous. Whats Malthouse up to?

Seriously though, Siekman does have a good resume, but he's failing with this AFLW team.

We're out of the GF race and we play Carlton, North and Brisbane on the run home. Kangas and Lions are the two favourites to make the GF. If we dont beat Carlton tonight, we could be looking at a winless season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: