Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

aflw and aflx

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:53 pm
Post subject: aflw and aflxReply with quote

to me its just a gender equality token put out by the afl that's all to me its a terrible brand of footy and is agonising to watch so slow and so many fumbles in it too I feel the more local womens footy such as suburban and country clue level is better the afl version is terrible and Collingwood womens teams needs sorting out its a mess its embarrassing at the moment and a blight on the Collingwood brand

also aflx is a gimmick if we get injuries from it Collingwood should sue the afl

I feel this is the last season of aflx but aflw will continue because its based on gender and the gender feminist groups will jump up and down about afl scrappinig it
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Women's footy is embarrassing and demeaning to existing elite female sports.

By pumping money into this, and televising it, it not only smacks of tokenism, but has dragged women from other sports, such as hockey, soccer and netball, where their skills are top notch.

The rate of serious injuries, even with shortened quarters, suggests that most (not all) women do not have the strength and physicality to play such a gladiatorial sport. If the game continues in its current form it will end up being a game played almost exclusively by women with unusually high rates of testosterone, akin to that of males, risking it becoming not much more than a freak show.

This debacle of a game has set women's sports back 10 yrs imo.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I don't agree with the gender equality token bit, women already play so called mens sports like Soccer, Hockey, Cricket and Basketball at a high level, what's wrong is that the AFL have rushed it all.

You have a mix of women who've code hopped from other sports and have had no time to learn the skills and women who've played at a lower level competition for fun.

Most of these women hold down jobs so don't have the time to train that professional athletes have, yet they're suddenly hyped up and playing on TV.

The AFL have stuffed this right up, but now have no choice but to persist. It will take time before you have the majority of the teams made up of women who've grown up playing the game right through their junior years and that's when the skills will reach the point that we hopefully have an entertaining spectacle.

For now, I actually feel sorry for the players, they're clearly busting their arses out there only to get shit canned all over social media

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:01 pm

I know it's not fashionable to argue that men and women are different these days, but I honestly don't think (most) women's bodies are equipped for collision type sports. They can clearly excel at tennis, soccer, hockey, netball and basketball, where skill, balance, coordination and aerobic and anaerobic fitness are required, but they are unlikely to ever truly succeed in gladiatorial sports like footy.

I've got nothing against women playing footy, boxing, rugby or any sport at all if that's what they want to do. What I object to, however, is the financial promotion of a second/third rate competition, which is what it is, dragging female participation from sports where they can truly be elite.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:22 pm

^

I get where you're coming from, but 3 points for mine.

1. It's an even playing field, women v women so the strengthissue doesn'y matter
2. The AFL has significantly cleaned up the gladitorial aspects, the bump is near dead and it's only got tackling left
3. The physical attributes of the game are the least of the current AFLW players problems, they tackle hard and go hard at the ball. It's the skills when open that are the issue

The issue with injuries for mine is a red herring, IIRC the majority of injuries haven't been caused in collisions.

Where the AFL has stuffed it is rushing into this high profile over hyped competition and then expanding it, while the depth of talent is just not there due to historic lack of established pathways. Whether they were put or felt they were put under pressure to get a womans comp going, I have NFI but the smart thing would have been to establish the pathways and a VFL (and other state leagues) competition first, giving women the same opportunity the boys have to learn the game and develop the skills, and THEN once the talent pool had been developed, start an AFLW comp.

But, 20-20 hindsight is a great thing. They didn't do that, now they need to suck it up and support them.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 pm

It's going to take 5-10 years for the skills to come up to scratch, til the next gen girls come up and mature. Better that it was doing that in private rather than being televised. However without the TV it would lose some allure, so its a two-edged sword.

I can't watch it, but cheers to those that do.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm looking forward to AFLY and AFLZ.

That's where the real action is.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Give it a few years,

Woman's cricket was embarrassing when it started but today, the WBBL is just as enjoyable as the BBL and better than the Australian test and one day teams.

Part of the success was reducing the size of the ground. They have to do the same with AFLW

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Give it a few years,

Woman's cricket was embarrassing when it started but today, the WBBL is just as enjoyable as the BBL and better than the Australian test and one day teams.

Part of the success was reducing the size of the ground. They have to do the same with AFLW

i do agree with that, they just cant kick goals from any where near 50!

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:32 pm

so when is AFLWX?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:51 am

aflx will take off, I think they're onto something. aflw? As long as the afl and media networks are prepared to keep wasting money on it, they can all pretend that we actually care.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-21/afl-losing-touch-with-its-roots-as-country-footy-leagues-suffer/10830802

This is where the AFL has dropped the ball. Paying big money to already well paid footballers in a comic game and this is happening. Football AND netball clubs are the heart of these communities. From here come the future CFA captains and volunteers and the support groups so badly needed. These kids need a pathway or they will play basketball or soccer. Or worse give up sport.

Playing a gwomens matchin Morwell is hardly te answer. What is needed is the AFL to shift some of its overbloated workforce worrying about other sports and pinching their talent and set up a decent training pathway for administrators and fund them properly so clubs like Fish creek don't end up on a scrap heap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: