Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brayden Sier, what's the upside?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beavis 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:30 am
Post subject: Brayden Sier, what's the upside?Reply with quote

I know we've got a bunch of players we are tracking and focusing on right now given the exitement following the unexpected Granny appearance.

Plenty are talking about new recruit Beams, Moore, what De Goey could do this season, even how good Quaynor looks his first pre-season. But Sier is the guy I'm gonna be tracking the most and I think probably deserves more attention in terms of what his improvement might look like. Having that monster sized contested mid like a Patrick Cripps is the type of player I feel like every team would like most from a hypothetical number 1 pick in a draft, outside of an elite KPF.

Sier barely looked a prospect his first year. If he's what he was in 2018 in 2019 but with another 7-8 touches a game (only spent 63% TOG last year for his 19 touches a game, 10 contested) maybe a few more goals, and a bit more of the line breaking ability he seems to have in his locker you could potentially be talking about the teams most important player, which would be pretty incredible when you have the likes of Grundy, Beams, Pendles, Treloar, Sidey and De Goey in your team. But if you wanted to draw up the perfect physical attributes in your prototypical modern midfielder, he looks like he pretty much has it all. Absolute monster size while also being pretty agile and quick. And you only have to watch the youtube highlights of his 12 AFL games to see he definitely has the footy brain to go with it.

Just hope the teams abundance of midfield options don't prevent him from getting all the midfield time he needs, because in my opinion he's the guy who's potential we want to absolutely maximise more than any other player in the team, which is saying something since we've no shortage of exciting talent we want to maximise. Just plonk the kid in the midfield and let other teams try and stop him affecting the contest.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

His package on You Tube i had not seen but what came across is his ability at a young age to read the play early and use it to advantage

I also am keen on how he tracks in year two

E 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:45 am

limitless potential. Nearly impossible to tackle and even when tackled he still is able to get away effective handballs.

capable of being a top 10 mid in the league. it all depends on whether he can get his tank to an acceptable level. If he can get an elite tank, he'll be the best mid in the league.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:38 am

Tend to agree. Many of our other mids can be equally effective on a wing or forward, Sier's best spot is right in the guts at the contest and that's where we need to play him the majority of his game time.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am

Brayden as well as Jayden set the bar high in their first year which went a long way to lifting us up into the finals

The challenge is with them to maintain then improve—I thought Jayden tapered off which ain’t unusual for a young man playing every match

Brayden must remain the strong man at contests —he ain’t a one trick pony

He has the tools to be a great long term Pie —-he just needs tank being stronger which the off field staff will aim at

These two young men mark my words are absolutely the future and architects to our next flag

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:52 am

Brayden as well as Jayden set the bar high in their first year which went a long way to lifting us up into the finals

The challenge is with them to maintain then improve—I thought Jayden tapered off which ain’t unusual for a young man playing every match

He has the tools to be a great long term Pie —-he just needs tank being stronger which the off field staff will aim at

These two young men mark my words are absolutely the future and architects to our next flag

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:59 am

Just had a look at his highlights and a few things stick out.

He makes good decisions. When he gets the ball he invariably disposes of it, whether by hand or foot, to our advantage. No little panicked disposals that put a team mate under the pump.

He stands up in tackles and keeps his arms free.

He's a thumping right foot kick but can also do well on the left.

he runs both ways

Except for the running gait, he looks like Sav rocca reborn as a midfielder.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:59 am

He looks more like Voldemort to me...but I digress.

The kid will be a star. Cool
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 pm

I too am really looking forward to see what he can become.

Build up his tank and who knows how good he can be.

As for comparison's, from his first game I kept thinking Josh Kennedy from Sydney.
mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Need to give him decent opportunity next year. Hes definitely an asset that we are thin on. If he only gets a handful of games I wouldnt be surprised if he asked for a trade.
----------
------------
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:50 pm

He offers something that none of our other mids do, but my perception is that he is currently a first half star and a second half dud. It would be interesting to know whether the stats back that up.

I agree with the comments about improving his tank. If he can play out games rather than tiring he will be in the mix for all Australian selection.
Beavis 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:36 pm

mackasmatt wrote:
Need to give him decent opportunity next year. Hes definitely an asset that we are thin on. If he only gets a handful of games I wouldnt be surprised if he asked for a trade.

This team can't afford for this to happen. Pendlebury, Beams and Sidebottom are at the backend of their careers. Sier has the potential to be the teams best and most dominant midfielder for the next decade, he is the future in the midfield if they don't screw up his development and he builds his tank year on year.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Beavis wrote:
mackasmatt wrote:

This team can't afford for this to happen. Pendlebury, Beams and Sidebottom are at the backend of their careers. Sier has the potential to be the teams best and most dominant midfielder for the next decade, he is the future in the midfield if they don't screw up his development and he builds his tank year on year.

Good points. We don't want to do a Sydney Swans whom played Kieren Jack and a beat up Dan Hannebury ahead of Tom Mitchell. Time for Pendles to go to half back flank (Luke Hodge style) and have a starting on ball unit of:

* Sier
* Beams
* Adams
* Grundy

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 pm

BazBoy wrote:

effectively Sier was a third year player last year.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Definitely a good prospect, but he has to again improve his fitness over the offseason. If not, he's going to miss games for it. He hurt us badly at times, including the Grand Final, by going missing late and not being able to play enough minutes.

The other reason for not playing enough minutes is his one dimensionality. He needs to be able to play another position, it's not likely he'll perform to the level required to be a 100% centre square player all season.

Love the positive sides of his game but there were some strong negatives as well and with tough competition for spots he's not a best 22 lock unless he continues to improve. Given his age and experience though, that's almost a given if he puts in the work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: