Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Another young woman assaulted and killed.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:55 pm
Post subject: Another young woman assaulted and killed.Reply with quote

For those who haven't seen it...

Quote:
A brutal, opportunist killer is on the loose in Melbourne, with police desperately appealing to the community for information as they investigate the murder of 21-year-old Israeli student Aiia Maasarwe.

A distinctive black cap with the number "1986" and a two-tone grey Cotton On T-shirt dumped after the attack and found by police less than 100 metres from Ms Maasarwe's body now hold the key to catching the killer.

Police sources described the brutal murder to a Bundoora shopping centre early on Wednesday as "horrendous as you could get".

Police believe the killer, who took several items from her handbag, may have been left bloodied after the assault.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/police-release-cctv-images-of-slain-israeli-student-hat-and-t-shirt-found-at-the-scene-20190117-p50ryo.html

I find this one harder to digest as I'm very familiar with the location. It's the old larundal lunatic asylum site that's been developed and I go there most saturdays to visit Dan Murphy's, woolies and the smoke shop.

Apart from those shops, it's a small hub of shops, mainly restaurants plus a chemist and doctors, with high density townhouses immediately around and a larger housing estate behind.

It's well lit and quite busy, High Asian population with amenities to cater to them and generally an area you feel safe in, even though it's had some issues last year with the Dan Murphy's and woolies complex being ram raided to steal booze and attempts to steal ATM's.

If you were writing a list of what you wanted your 21yr old daughter to do, she ticked all the boxes.

Got the tram home, stayed in the lit areas, was face timing her sister while walking to her home,.....and some fkn arsewipe still got her. Evil or Very Mad Sad

Getting in before the inevitable, I refuse to be lumped into the same category as this cnut and lectured to on account of my gender. This cnut is an abberation and abomination and is no more reflective of men in general than the woman who allegedly fed her baby bleach is reflective of all women.

I saw on the news, same age young female uni students who live in the complex saying that they either won't walk around at night or make sure they go in pairs. On one hand that makes me sad because they shouldn't have to do that, they should be able to walk around there.
On the other hand I have to admire their common sense approach in acknowledging the elephant in the room - bad people exist and taking precautions is sensible.

Holding protests, lecturing all men that they need to change and trying to assert the right to walk wherever and whenever you want all ignore that fundamental truth. Bad people exist, they will try to do bad things given opportunity, the best protection is to try to deprive them of opportunity.

I'm sincerely sorry for this poor girl and her family and hope this walking excrement is caught and punished to the maximum extent allowable.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s an awful crime and one that does send chills down your spine. Even though I live on the other side of town, I know that area quite well too – I’ve been into the fenced-off part of the asylum next to the shops that still hasn’t been knocked down. This kind of attack is mercufully rare in the broader scheme of things, but that’s not much comfort to young women in Melbourne right now; it’s kind of like a terrorist attack in that the low odds don’t help much if you know that it could happen to you at any place and any time. Let us hope that the murderer is captured as soon as possible and not given the opportunity to harm anyone else.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Agree, I'm not surprised that you're familiar with it, my kids also went there a few times. It was a fairly popular joint to examine.

http://www.thebohemianblog.com/2013/02/urban-exploration-larundel-asylum.html

Some of the old buildings have been refurbished as units, farked if I'd live in them.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Scum of the earth, death penalty please.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 pm

I just finished watching an argument about the death penalty between Sam Dastyari and Jacqui Lambie on that drop an alleged celeb in the jungle show, not again.

The cops are playing their cards close to their chest on this one.

The girl was on facetime to her sister when the phone was dropped suddenly and strange voices, plural, heard.

The cops won't say if a weapon was used but they've been line searching the bushland across Plenty road. They're looking for something. i just hope they find what they need and that the person/people who did this aren't already flying home on a cousins passport

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 pm

The death penalty does not prevent these type of crimes. It does however cones back to retribution that we will all feel good that the fckr that did it, dies. I prefer them to be jailed for life with no parole and never to be released. Also they have to be in the normal prison population. That's what you call a penalty and they would die a slow death. That's real retribution.

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/men-of-australia-it-s-time-to-pick-your-side-20190117-p50rz7.html

And as a Male it's my fault apparently and now I have to choose a side.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:01 pm

That's the kind of garbage that infuriates me.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 pm

OK Let's talk about you.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:52 pm

I’m no fan of Ford and honestly just avoid reading her stuff nowadays, but that’s a long way from her worst effort. I’m not offended by what she’s saying here; it’s fair enough to feel genuine anger and outrage at a news story like this, and to look for answers beyond just the supposed evil of the individual rapist/murderer. And what she’s advancing is hardly a radical argument – it basically matches Liberal government advertising on the subject, line for line. But I’m not sure I can agree with this central argument that’s being advanced: that “disrespecting women” is the thin edge of the wedge, the base level of the pyramid, that leads to violence against women.

There’s certainly some truth to it: of course, just as we understand that racism can lead to hate crime, of course it’s true that misogyny can be a factor in violence against women. But I don’t see it as constituting the entire story the way many people do. Sexual violence of this kind is, nearly inevitably, at least partially sexual in motivation: it likely emerges from some cocktail of sadism (in the original sense), an arousal at the notion of sexual dominance and otherwise unfulfilled sexual desire. On a broader psychological level, I expect that you’ll also find some mix of compulsive tendencies, a difficulty in feeling empathy for others and most likely a diagnosable dysfunction or more generalised unhappiness with life that can seemingly only be satisfied by extreme acts. And we can reasonably surmise that the murder in cases such as these occurs primarily due to fear of retribution (though in rare instances the homicide may itself be committed for sadistic purposes). Whatever the case, none of those factors are really in any way cultural in the way Ford describes – that is to say, none of these are really emerging from indoctrination by extreme interpretations of mainstream gendered discourses (again, this is not to say that those cannot be a factor in some cases; more that they aren’t necessary in order to explain this). I suspect that a lot of crimes like these are committed by men who are fully aware that what they are planning to do is not considered acceptable by society – they simply want to get what they want and don’t care about the consequences for the victim.

These were not controversial ideas 40 or so years ago: I think violent rape was more or less understood by many people to be committed for reasons like these. But then along came the ‘80s and popular slogans like “rape is about power, not sex” and the notion that all violence against women stems from gender inequality. This was repeated often enough that it was treated like gospel. The only trouble is that, as far as I can tell, these political slogans had little to do with any established scientific research and were often based on flawed or inconclusive surveys of sex offenders. Even to this day, people repeat them as if they were facts as established as the theory of gravity, and that other explanations are discredited “myths”. But of course neither are true: the notion that rape is not at least somewhat sexually motivated is and always has been absurd, and now that we’re more familiar with concepts like date rape, rape in cases of intoxication and the many other ways in which a person’s sexual consent can be violated, the old slogan can and surely must be put to bed forever. Likewise, the notion that all sex crime and other violence against women must be inherently gendered remains a political just-so story that is left completely flailing when confronted with, say, domestic violence in same-sex relationships, the many similar psychological motivations of violence committed by men against either gender or the link between paraphilias and sexual crime.

I don’t say any of this to nitpick over language or trivialise or distract from this horrific act. Ultimately, I’m with Ford: we need to be urgently prioritising prevention. But while reducing sexism is always a worthy goal, she’s missing the bigger picture. The reason why this is important is that, if we don’t properly understand the causes of rape and violence against women, we’re not going to be able to adequately prevent it – and the unfortunate fact is that any prioritisation of dogma over actual comprehension of motivations and causes will render any such programs less effective and mean some crimes that could have been prevented still occur.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:20 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-17/canberra-woman-jailed-for-false-rape-claim/10723908

If the likes of Ms. Ford and her fellow feminist journalists had their way then this innocent man would still be rotting in prison because you know women must always be believed before any nasty rotten male.

This is a clear example of why lawyers acting for an accused person should always have the right to vigorous cross examination of an alleged victim and be able to test the veracity of claims presented as evidence by the accuser, police and prosecution.

The simple reality is that in 2018 approximately 69 women were said to have been murdered in Australia at the hands of a man.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-red-heart-campaign/toll-of-violence-in-australia/1570556562981722/

While one murder is one to many there are approximately 12.2 million males of all ages in this country.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mf/3235.0

So basically one in every 176,000 of us males are shown to be capable of murdering a woman.

So Ms. Ford even allowing for lesser violent crimes committed against women to be added to the equation it would appear that the overwhelming majority of men have already chosen a side and that's one that doesn't abuse women.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 am

Kill and abuse are not the same thing. As much as I don’t like articles that try and stir trouble and divide, I don’t likeyour maths here.

69 men killed a woman through abuse, how many abused women didn’t die? Or don’t they count?

It’s just crazy a woman (or a man for that matter) can’t safely walk home from a tram stop. No guns and we still are not safe. So so much wrong right now. And a far too lenient justice system is not helping.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:19 am

David, a lengthy but excellent write up. I agree.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 am

think positive wrote:
Kill and abuse are not the same thing. As much as I don’t like articles that try and stir trouble and divide, I don’t likeyour maths here.

69 men killed a woman through abuse, how many abused women didn’t die? Or don’t they count?

It’s just crazy a woman (or a man for that matter) can’t safely walk home from a tram stop. No guns and we still are not safe. So so much wrong right now. And a far too lenient justice system is not helping.

Not trying to nitpick, but have another look at those numbers.

Overall, 144 men killed vs 79 women in total.

111 men killed by men, 69 women killed by men, in total.

On the domestic/family violence, the numbers don't include the gender of the perpetrator, but they are 46 women killed and 20 men.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:43 am

My post makes no comment about male victims, it’s disputing swoop s post that minimaliizes the abuse of women by men, it’s certainly not 68 cases per year.

Just because I say I Like chocolate doesn’t mean I don’t like cheese! Ie if you speak in defence of one group it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t defend another group, it just means your currently discussing the first group!

Also I made a comment about the justice system, Derrin Hynch just said the victims genitals were burnt in an attempt to destroy evidence, apparently there is a known sex offender on the loose with this signature

He should have been castrated last time he got caught

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:05 am

I get you. 46 women killed by domestic violence means a significantly higher number abused to some extent.

The purpose of the group and their stats isn't to prove any point other than violence, in general, is way too high and while men may be the majority victims, they are also significantly the majority perpetrators.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: