Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Another young woman assaulted and killed.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Legalise and regulate all drugs.

shoot drug dealers

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:16 pm

If they're legal there wont be many drug dealers. How many people sell bootleg alcohol? I know there's a market for tobacco because of the huge taxes that are on it, but if taxes were lower there'd be no illegal market for that either.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:11 pm

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:
Legalise and regulate all drugs.

shoot drug dealers

Not the dealers, the manufacturers and importers. Dealers are small change.

Wokko wrote:
If they're legal there wont be many drug dealers. How many people sell bootleg alcohol? I know there's a market for tobacco because of the huge taxes that are on it, but if taxes were lower there'd be no illegal market for that either.

Nice in theory, freaking hard to do in practice.

Where do you draw the line with which drugs are legal, where you sell them and what restrictions are in place?

Ice is associated with mental illness, it messes people up. My son was an addict and he still has issues several years after. What responsible organisation would sell drugs like that to someone who already has a mental illness?

Fact is, as soon as you legalise drugs and put controls in place over manufacture and distribution, you get governments seeing revenue opportunities and wowsers wanting sales restricted so prices go up.

The middle and upper classes can indulge legally and safely while the young, unemployed and poor will be back on the black market, and don't worry, there'll be one. Cheap dangerous shit designed to get you hooked and keep you coming back til it kills you.

The Alcopop tax pushed the price of pre-mix spirits to a point where they were unaffordable for the young and unemployed, so they instead bought bottles of spirits and mixed their own, meaning the control of premix was gone and they drank more, and more quickly, or they went for cheaper options like Ice or Nangs.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Good news in part, at least her family will be spared the further trauma of a trial.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-07/codey-herrmann-pleads-guilty-murder-of-aiia-maasarwe/11189568

Quote:
Codey Herrmann has pleaded guilty to the murder and rape of 21-year-old Arab-Israeli student Aiia Maasarwe.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Article in todays Aged.

Quote:
Before he savagely attacked, raped and murdered young international student Aiia Maasarwe, Codey Herrmann’s life had its own chaotic rhythm.

Every fortnight, when his Centrelink payments came through, Herrmann bought methamphetamine and cannabis and shared them with his friends. He subsisted on croissants and chocolate milk. He slept rough. He shoplifted what he needed, including the barbecue lighter he used to light his cigarettes, and to inflict unthinkable injuries to the body of Ms Maasarwe.

And deep inside, an anger burned.

He had no explanation for why he'd done what he did, but apparently

Quote:

Had he been angry?

“I think I was,” Herrmann said. “[Angry at] life in general. How everyone looked at me, and treated me.”

He told his lawyer: “I had nothing. I could achieve nothing. Even my friends made fun of me.”

“There is a core of anger in Mr Herrmann,” Mr Marsh said. “Anger at the world, and especially females.”

Had a fairly shit upbringing.

Quote:
Herrmann, who is Aboriginal, was adrift from his culture and socially isolated, and his early years were marked by poverty, chaos and dysfunction.

Child protection authorities were notified of concerns for Herrmann’s welfare when he was just six months' old, after a drunken adult dropped a bottle of wine in the family home and the baby drank from it.

By the time he was 12 months old, Herrmann had been effectively abandoned by his mother, who suffered from substance abuse problems.

He was hospitalised with scabies at 17 months old, and by the time he was three authorities had received multiple notifications of drug and alcohol abuse, family violence and neglect in the family home. He suffered rotten teeth and skin problems.

By the time he started school, in the care of a foster mother, Herrmann’s severe behavioural problems had started to emerge.

He hurt other children and had difficulty forming friendships.

Yet he has no history of violence as an adult. He shows very little remorse but it's a sad state when a 21 yr old thinks being in jail is an improvement on his life.

Quote:
Herrmann, who has been in custody since January, told investigators he could “only think about the things [he’d] gained” since his arrest. In jail he has a safe place to sleep, a shower and the prospect of accessing prison programs.
Add to that, 3 meals a day as I heard elsewhere.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/there-is-no-explanation-inside-codey-herrmann-s-chaotic-world-20191001-p52wor.html

Now, don't mistake me, I'm not trying to justify what he did, make people feel sorry for him or make him out as the victim by selective quoting, he raped and murdered a young woman. An innocent. There's no excuse, no justification.

Yet, I can't hate him. I don't think he was evil or a monster despite what he did.

I think he was a messed up kid that the system failed and 2 peoples lives are ruined.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:06 pm

It’s interesting the links between these three recent rape/murders – all of them, if I’m correct, seem to have been committed by men from pretty atrocious and dysfunctional backgrounds, all of whom were either homeless or not far from it. It goes to show that, for all the talk about rape culture and toxic masculinity, one of the biggest determiners of violence is still poverty.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:14 pm

poverty or abuse? or either.

but why do some turn left and some turn right? i wont use the evil word!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:28 pm

^

People are different. The stuff you grow up with has an influencing effect but doesn't determine what you become, otherwise every poor kid who copped abuse would become a murderer.

a single set of ingredients in different proportions can make lots of different dishes, particularly once you mix personality and genetics into it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:48 am

Bumping this thread to post an interesting article from The Guardian today that makes some points I've been thinking about for a while now (but haven't always felt comfortable giving voice to):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/05/lone-woman-fights-attacker-inspring-proof-inherent-danger-maybe-both

Quote:
Horrific things do happen to women in public places. But perhaps not as often as we might think.

In England and Wales, women are far less likely to be killed than men: in the year ending March 2022, 72% of homicide victims were male. And as for safety on the streets, the stats suggest the greater danger for women lurks in the home, at the hands of a current or former partner. In that same year, stranger attacks accounted for just 7% of female victims and 15% of male ones. Just 15% of rapes are committed by strangers.

These are the facts. Yet they remain at odds with public perception, perhaps because of an outsize cultural reaction when that rare terrible thing does happen to a woman walking home alone at night.

A year after the murder of Sarah Everard, a YouGov poll of British women found 66% of women either “always”, “often” or “sometimes” felt unsafe walking alone at night. Some 25% felt similarly afraid walking alone in the daytime. Anecdotal evidence suggests much the same effect has been produced by the coverage of Nicola Bulley’s death. Women are scared to go out alone.

Isn’t it better to be safe than sorry? Does it matter if daily risks to women are exaggerated, if it helps keep them safe? Well, here’s an argument that it does matter. In patriarchies, theorists might say, violence against women in public places is not only a social evil – it serves a political purpose. It is used to police. It tells women where they are supposed to go and where they are not. When women are attacked on the streets, or at universities, or in the workplace, they understand these places are not for them.

Informing women of real risks is one thing, but exaggerating the danger only helps deliver that original message: keep off the streets, leave the city to the men, this space is not for you. In fact, if the message is frightening enough, and spread widely enough, actual risk no longer matters. The work of the patriarchy is done. Women police themselves.

In the world’s strongest patriarchies there is not only vicious violence against women, but also a tradition of drumming up the threat. Women are told they are weak creatures in need of male protection at all times.

That is why they must stay in their houses, cultivate good relations with the family patriarch, wear veils and even consent to mutilation practices. It is, after all, for their own safety. (Studies in India suggest it is cultural fear of crime, rather than the actual statistics, that are most strongly linked to women’s decisions not to take up offers at prestigious universities or join certain workplaces.)

Agree or disagree, there's certainly some food for thought there.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:14 pm

Interesting quote and interesting stats, if unsurprising. I thought it was common knowledge that most violence against women occurs in the home or at the hands of someone they know whereas the violent rape murders in this thread are comparatively rare but capture headlines like a shark attack, which is another violent but comparatively rare occurrence.

Thinking back on the reactions to those incidents in this thread (without going back to read them) it wouldn't resemble that Patriarchal society referred to, and certainly no hidden agenda or conspiracy theory to make women stay home.

In Islamic societies, Yes, and I can see it happening in parts of India, but not here.

Yes, if a bloke walking at night alone gets beaten up and killed it gets reported then forgotten in 12 hours, when a Woman like in the instances in this thread gets brutally raped and murdered, the media carry it for days, there's vigils and protests because people a rightfully horrified and upset.

Society is what is is. Saying that women (or anyone) should be able to safely walk around at night alone is like saying that everyone should be able to afford to buy a home. Ideal in theory but doesn't work in practice.

The vast majority of people are basically good and will do the right thing by others, a minority aren't for a growing number of reasons including mental health and drugs.

I didn't read the article, just the quoted section, but I think the author is seriously reaching. imho.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:30 pm

I don’t feel safe being out at night alone in Victoria and I’ve never felt that way before but it definitely feels like things have gotten far worse in recent years, not better.

I lived in a quiet suburban court for most of my life, never had a crime yet now cars are broken into regularly.

My grandmother recently had a fall at home and went into hospital. As she was suffering it seemed not unusual so nothing thought of it. Yet now a few months later and we can’t find her jewellery anywhere, it was worth a bit of money and she kept them in her purse. When she was found her purse was emptied over the floor and the front door was unlocked.

It now seriously makes me wonder if she was attacked by someone who broke in? This is an area that 15-20 years people could leave their front doors unlocked.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:40 pm

Yes Eddiesmith, sad but true and you are right. I constantly worry about my aged mum who lives alone in Melbourne. She has terrific neighbours, a very protective dog and a boarder in a flat at the back but in the middle of the night, I fear that she could be vulnerable to a horrible arsehole with bad intentions. I hope your grandmother recovers well and stays safe in future but I do get where your concerns are coming from.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:00 am

eddiesmith wrote:
I don’t feel safe being out at night alone in Victoria and I’ve never felt that way before but it definitely feels like things have gotten far worse in recent years, not better.

I lived in a quiet suburban court for most of my life, never had a crime yet now cars are broken into regularly.

My grandmother recently had a fall at home and went into hospital. As she was suffering it seemed not unusual so nothing thought of it. Yet now a few months later and we can’t find her jewellery anywhere, it was worth a bit of money and she kept them in her purse. When she was found her purse was emptied over the floor and the front door was unlocked.

It now seriously makes me wonder if she was attacked by someone who broke in? This is an area that 15-20 years people could leave their front doors unlocked.

Is your grandmother not lucid enough to say what happened to her?

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:46 pm

No definitely not, she thinks she’s back running the canteen at Coles and my sister works for her.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:05 pm

Bugger. Sounds like she won't be going home then, and it's too late to involve Police I suspect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: