Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia v. Sri Lanka. 2 Tests.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we should work out whether Starc actually bowled well or just got lucky...

There were still deliveries either side of the wicket and some almost off the pitch (e.g. the ball after the failed hat-trick ball), right?
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:04 am

In the ... ahem... excitement, I missed who got MOM. (I had some vague awareness of just about everyone seemingly being interviewed, so that doesn't help me.) I guess this gives me the fleeting chance to think about who should have been MOM.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:54 pm

"got lucky" ? 10 times ? Smile

He was clearly Player of the Match.

Player of the Series: Pat Cummins.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Media (Fairfax?) suggested Burns & Head were unlucky... but on such a flat track I'm not sure a batsman is deserving of MOM.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Exactly. Starc & Cummins were superb, on that track.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Donny wrote:
"got lucky" ? 10 times ? Smile

https://www.cricket.com.au/video/10-wicket-haul-mitchell-starc-australia-sri-lanka-second-test-manuka-oval-highlights/2019-02-04

I confess: only wickets 5, 6, 8 seem like good balls to me. (And a ball keeping low is surely not due to the bowler's skill.) The rest were truly feeble batting efforts. Perhaps slo-mo might reveal some movement in all those wide balls that got wickets. Is not a hit wicket also a tad lucky (and incompetent for the batsman)?

But, yes... Batsmen are pampered, and it's the bowlers who have my sympathy on these flat tracks.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 pm

K wrote:

There were still deliveries either side of the wicket and some almost off the pitch (e.g. the ball after the failed hat-trick ball), right?

Tell you what; Saker would want to pull his finger out of his arse if he wants to keep his job too.
If I was being harsh, it could be argued the ball wasn't being pitched-up outside off stump anywhere near well enough all summer, particularly to India's top order. The only top line bowler capable of such line and length delivery over the course of a test was Siddle, and he was excluded at the expense of Langer's NSW pets, all of whom were vastly underwhelming.
Starc showing all the psychological flaws that Mitchell Johnson did when he had to return to England to face mental demons. You can't claim to be a frontline bowler as a one-trick pony producing the occasional yorker, amongst a over of half-volleys that get despatched to the fence.
Otherwise he'll just end up a tragically wasted carbon-copy of Shaun Tait, a renowned pie-thrower at every level.
I'll post this in the Ashes thread, but Trent Copeland NEEDS to be selected.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 am

Cummins now 2nd in ICC bowler rankings.

Chandimal dropped by Sri Lanka.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 am

K wrote:
K wrote:
K wrote:
In other Test news, England out for 77 in Barbados. ... Modern batsmen have no defensive technique.
In other Test news, England out for 187 in Antigua. ... Modern batsmen have no defensive technique.
(WI 6/272 in reply. Miller of cricinfo comments that "Stokes sweated blood for his team". Ben would know all about blood -- or at least he would if he weren't drunk.)

England out for 132 in Antigua (second innings). Lack of defensive technique aside, it might help if they selected more than three batsmen.

cricinfo reports that "Antigua pitch faces ICC sanction":

"The match ended in three days with variable bounce evident throughout, although officials at CWI remain hopeful that the fact West Indies batted for 131 overs and scored more than 300 runs in their first innings showed the pitch was not so bad.

Nevertheless, several batsmen were struck on the hands or body and a couple more received unplayable deliveries. Roston Chase, for example, was bowled by a short ball that kept impossibly low, while Joe Root was dismissed by one that lifted sharply to take him on the glove."

That's if you trust the reporting of G. Dobell, who e.g. is an absurd (and offensive) Stokes fanboy and apologist.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:01 pm

piedys wrote:
K wrote:

There were still deliveries either side of the wicket and some almost off the pitch ..., right?

Tell you what; Saker would want to pull his finger out of his arse if he wants to keep his job too....

Bowling coach David Saker, Cricket Australia part ways

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/bowling-coach-david-saker-cricket-australia-part-ways-20190206-p50w00.html
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Pucovski got the Bradman Young Male Cricketer of the Year award tonight. (In honesty, not a lot of competition.)
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 pm

A little off topic... but following the "In other Test news" sub-thread above...

'Root appeared to tell Gabriel "there's nothing wrong with being gay" while batting on day three in St Lucia, with the comments apparently picked up on television via the stump microphone.'

Now if only I could see how much Eng. scored this time... Oh, little Rooty scored a century. Must be another flat pitch. Wink

Update: Gabriel has been charged by the ICC: "Shannon Gabriel has been charged with a breach Article 2.13 of the ICC code of conduct. The charge, which was laid by match umpires, will now be dealt with by match referee Jeff Crowe. Until the proceedings have concluded, the ICC will not comment further."

And Roots full(er) comments picked up on stump mic. (and damning Gabriel) were: "Don't use it as an insult. There's nothing wrong with being gay."
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Update 2: Gabriel banned for 4 ODIs.

On Eng.'s batting woes:

'While there is a lack of certainty at the top of the card, Bayliss indicated that Joe Root, Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali were now inked in to their positions between four and eight.

That makes wicketkeeper Ben Foakes, dropped in St Lucia just two games after being named man-of-the-series in Sri Lanka, the odd man out.

Asked if the three-game experiment with Bairstow at No.3 was now over, Bayliss offered a one-word answer: "Yes".'

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/four-years-on-bayliss-seeks-top-order-clarity-ahead-of-the-ashes-20190214-p50xo0.html
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:57 pm

K wrote:
piedys wrote:
K wrote:

There were still deliveries either side of the wicket and some almost off the pitch ..., right?

Tell you what; Saker would want to pull his finger out of his arse if he wants to keep his job too....

Bowling coach David Saker, Cricket Australia part ways

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/bowling-coach-david-saker-cricket-australia-part-ways-20190206-p50w00.html

Hey, no tears at my end.

Pitch the ball up, outside off stump. Return to your mark; repeat the process. Not rocket science...

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am

Sri Lanka beat South Africa in the First Test at Kingsmead.

Perera 153*, after 51 in the low-scoring first innings.

"The last wicket stand of 78 is the highest ever to win a first class game of cricket, with the previous highest in Test matches the 57 by Pakistan against Australia in 1994."

In Canberra, Perera scored 29* and 0.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: