Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Likely last season Magpies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 pm
Post subject: Likely last season MagpiesReply with quote

2019 looms likely to be the final year for these players:

* Daniel Wells:
last year of a beefy contract. Would have to do something miraculous like play 22 matches with a top 5 best and fairest to get a renewal for 2020. $550,000 shall be saved and re-directed. Turns 34 in February.

* Tyson Goldsack: resurrected his career with a remarkable comeback in 2018 but rising 32 years old, one would hope that Murphy, Scharenberg, Moore and Kelly can usurp him come 2020. Approximately $300-350,000 shall be saved and re-directed.

* Sam Murray: likely to have his papers stamped from ASADA before season 2019 starts. Hopefully we can supplement him with a state league player or an under 18 player not drafted, given the new rules. $200-$250,000 saved and re-directed.

* Lynden Dunn: hoping he can make a successful comeback in 2019. He has stated that he still feels fresh and would like to play 2-3 more seasons. Been a great replacement for Nathan Brown but injury shall determine his viability for 2020. If departing, likely saving of $250,000. Turns 32 in May.

* Levi Greenwood: re-signed for an extra year recently after his initial $1,800,000 four year deal concluded at seasons end. Get a feeling that he is one of Nathan's favourites and well respected amongst his peers. 50:50 based on his 2019 performances I guess. If to depart, approximate saving of $350,000 a season to be re-directed. Turns 30 years old in February.

* Travis Varcoe: might be the greatest 11 possession player we have, but get the feeling that if we were to win a flag next season, he may call time on those untrusting hammy's and thighs. Likely saving of $350,000 to be re-directed. Turns 31 in April.

* Ben Reid (Turning 30 in April but is an "old" 30): was staggered that he was not only retained, but signed up mid-year 2018 right at the time he was on the sidelines with a 12 week leg injury. Has always been on big money however can't see him holding up anymore despite the great contribution he has made in our halcyon years. Approximate saving of $350,000.

* Ben Crocker: was surprised Hine offered him a 2 year extension at the end of 2017, given his mediocre performances at Senior level. Struggles to get more than 10 possessions per game and when he does, his goal kicking accuracy is poor. Hard to see him dislodging others for a starting position. Likely savings of $250,000 per year.

Playing for their lives this years but have upside:

* Tim Broomhead

* Rupert Wills

Obviously as a supporters I'm hoping any of the above can have stellar seasons and earn their right to continue into 2020 and beyond, however clubs forecast many years ahead and you get the feeling that Ned Guy would have many of the above in his "sights". The likely departures of the above would free up $2,500,000 approximately for existing player contract upgrades and potential free agents, trades and National draft recruits.

Thoughts?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good summary, inxs.

Daniel Wells (34 Years Old)
Lynden Dunn (32 Years Old)
Tyson Goldsack (32 Years Old)
Scott Pendlebury (31 Years Old)
Travis Varcoe (31 Years Old)
Chris Mayne (30 Years Old)
Ben Reid (30 Years Old)
Levi Greenwood (30 Years Old)

These are all the players who will be 30+ next year.

Out of those, I think Pendlebury is the only safe one to go on into the new decade amongst that lot. With respect to the other players, it depends on certain factors.

Wells - Near certainty to exit. Been plagued by injuries and lucky he received a 3-year contract when he signed at the end of 2016.

Dunn - His future uncertain, but it depends on how he returns from his knee injury. Before that, he'd hardly put a foot wrong so he deserves a chance to get back into the senior side. His leadership qualities cannot be understated either.

Goldsack - Remarkable he returned in time for the finals, and played brilliantly when we were desperate need for a key defender. I think inxs is right to point out that various players will challenge for his spot.

Varcoe - 50/50 to stay beyond 2019. Had his injury issues over the years, but still an effective player for mine.

Mayne - After a tough 2017, 2018 was nothing short of remarkable. It will be interesting how he backs up this year, but still a very durable and useful player. I think Aish will be his long term replacement, but he will be on the list this time next year.

Reid - Think it will be his final year. Struggled with injuries over the years and the likes of Mihocek have pushed him out of the side.

Greenwood - One of Bucks' favourites, and it really depends on how he performs this year. Like inxs, he's 50/50 for mine to stay beyond 2019.

Amongst the under 30s, some of the following players will be under pressure to perform:

Jamie Elliott
Rupert Wills
Ben Crocker
Sam Murray
Tim Broomhead

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Jezza wrote:
Good summary, inxs.

Ben Reid (30 Years Old)

These are all the players who will be 30+ next year.

Out of those, I think Pendlebury is the only safe one to go on into the new decade amongst that lot. With respect to the other players, it depends on certain factors.

Wells - Near certainty to exit. Been plagued by injuries and lucky he received a 3-year contract when he signed at the end of 2016.

Dunn - His future uncertain, but it depends on how he returns from his knee injury. Before that, he'd hardly put a foot wrong so he deserves a chance to get back into the senior side. His leadership qualities cannot be understated either.

Goldsack - Remarkable he returned in time for the finals, and played brilliantly when we were desperate need for a key defender. I think inxs is right to point out that various players will challenge for his spot.

Varcoe - 50/50 to stay beyond 2019. Had his injury issues over the years, but still an effective player for mine.

Mayne - After a tough 2017, 2018 was nothing short of remarkable. It will be interesting how he backs up this year, but still a very durable and useful player. I think Aish will be his long term replacement, but he will be on the list this time next year.

Reid - Think it will be his final year. Struggled with injuries over the years and the likes of Mihocek have pushed him out of the side.

Greenwood - One of Bucks' favourites, and it really depends on how he performs this year. Like inxs, he's 50/50 for mine to stay beyond 2019.

Amongst the under 30s, some of the following players will be under pressure to perform:

Jamie Elliott
Rupert Wills
Ben Crocker
Sam Murray
Tim Broomhead

cheers Smile

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 pm

^If I could be permitted a nitpick, is it really necessary to quote his whole reply just to say Cheers?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Jezza wrote:
Ben Reid (30 Years Old)

These are all the players who will be 30+ next year

Dane Beams will turn 30 in Feb 2020

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^If I could be permitted a nitpick, is it really necessary to quote his whole reply just to say Cheers?
Are they exactly the same?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

not sure the other way to do it!

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 am

^Cheers

OR

Jezza wrote:
Good summary, inxs

Cheers

would work.

Anyway. Good observations. If we can get a solid year out of 2 of the 8 you mentioned (Pendlebury & Mayne seem most likely) and a half year out of 1 or 2 (Dunn & Goldsack?), I would be very happy. Some cameos from Varcoe & Greenwood where needed/able would be icing on the cake(walk)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

I’d like to see Mayne really smash through and be the champion, just a feel good story, he’s shocked me

And I love greenwood we still need an enforcer,

And Varcoe, 1 more Premiership , in the right colours. And Goldie to finish golden this year.

The rest, I can live with, Reid and Jaimie make me sad, but it’s just not going to happen.

And Murray can fuckrightoff

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Murray has to go surely. Cmon ASADA hurry up!! We would welcome the best player available ASAP before the scum slip in and replace Pickett and Docherty.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 pm

^and Tom Mitchell is replaced by Hawthorn.

You're on the mark Inxs. There is potentially quite an exodus at year end. Of note too is that we don't have a first round pick to use on a high quality replacement player.

To that extent, free agency will be important for us to exploit next season. We may also need to find a way back into the draft with players vacating who may have trade value, but elect to depart because they can't get a regular game.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:12 am

Albert Parker wrote:
^and Tom Mitchell is replaced by Hawthorn.

You're on the mark Inxs. There is potentially quite an exodus at year end. Of note too is that we don't have a first round pick to use on a high quality replacement player.

To that extent, free agency will be important for us to exploit next season. We may also need to find a way back into the draft with players vacating who may have trade value, but elect to depart because they can't get a regular game.

Absolutely. Free-agents this season are a tad on the thin side. I posted a blog a few weeks back listing those that were available. Hard to see us getting back in the first round albeit the Beams pick for 2019 draft hopefully shall be pick 18 (Smile).

Maybe tome for a Hine special in the second round AKA beams in 2008 at pick 29!

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Or Bayden's Maynard and Sier in '14/'15...

Both in the 30s.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 pm

To that list I'd add:

Murray (who is obviously gonski)
Lynch
Madgen
...and possibly Appleby.

As it will be their 3rd year it might surprise some, but pressure will also be mounting on C. Brown and Daicos, if they haven't begun to play regular senior footy.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am

MOD's hasnt this been discussed in a thousand other threads. Maybe shut it down or merge it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: