Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS, close this embarrassing and insulting thread.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

yep
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:33 am

RudeBoy wrote:
... embarrassing ... insulting ...

I honestly don't get these feelings. How is it embarrassing? Who is being insulted?

I don't want to sound critical or to single out any poster, but how is it more insulting than, for example, repeated posts from someone about the alleged motivations and 'mental problems' of certain players, e.g. a past premiership player who kicked hundreds of goals, and the currently playing son of a club legend.

Is it somehow supposed to be insulting to the Club? Those players are a far bigger part of the Club and its history than some word. If that word is really so sacred, what are we to do about the fifth word? Is singing "we" (which is untraditional and "incorrect") "embarrassing" and "insulting"?
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am

K wrote:
Some previous comments from posters who have not frequented this BB since last year:

************* wrote:
.....we have to remove the word cakewalk from our song. Because premierships are NOT a cakewalk for Collingwood.

************** wrote:

Couldn't agree more! I literally cringe every time I hear it. It's inviting hubris.

********* wrote:
^
How about instead we sing

*********************** wrote:

I actually think there might be something in this, there is no need to change the words of the song, but they can be pronounced as one chooses.....thats it, until the next flag, I'm singing ***, and would invite you all to do likewise

**************** wrote:
For starters maybe changing our song is timely?
"Oh, the premiership's a cakewalk" to
"Oh, the premiership's a __________" ????

********** wrote:
I agree. That line should only be permitted to be sung after a Grand Final triumph and until the next season comes around.

************* wrote:
The line is embarrassing and makes me cringe.

May as well sing....

Oh the Colliwobbles curse us
At the Good Old Collingwood

No doubt because of ridiculous threads like this. Seriously, find something else to do.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:17 am

luvdids wrote:
K wrote:
Some previous comments from posters who have not frequented this BB since last year:

If you dislike this thread, you could read the first Sticky thread instead.

Those posters aren't around partly because it's summer, but probably also because they are still in GF mourning.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 am

Oh I've read the sticky, I wasn't posting lines of admiration.
Perhaps you could read the BB rules about back seat moderating Razz
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:31 am

I guess it's easier to simply tell people to shut up/go away/ find something else to do than give a reasoned argument as to why they think differently about a particular topic. Sigh.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:47 am

K wrote:
If that word is really so sacred, what are we to do about the fifth word? Is singing "we" (which is untraditional and "incorrect") "embarrassing" and "insulting"?

The fifth word is of course only the first of five words in the song that are disputed.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:48 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Oh ffs, our song is OUR song, our jumper is OUR jumper. Anyone who doesn't embrace ALL of that should follow another team instead. As I said earlier, there are 17 other club songs to choose from. Seriously guys, this whole thread is incredibly embarrassing.

Does not the word STAUNCH mean anything to some of you? It used to be synonymous with being a Collingwood supporter. Rolling Eyes

I can only guess what your reaction was when it was announced that we were vacating OUR ground, Vic Park, to become a co-tenant at other teams' grounds.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:47 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
I guess it's easier to simply tell people to shut up/go away/ find something else to do than give a reasoned argument as to why they think differently about a particular topic. Sigh.

The thread is 22 pages long...

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Sorry. . .
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

The thread is 22 pages long...

And just when it hadn't been posted in for a week and was in danger of slipping off page 1, guess who bumped it.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:

And just when it hadn't been posted in for a week and was in danger of slipping off page 1, guess who bumped it.

Thanks for that Stui Wink Smile ie for bumping it again.

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 pm

A bit of humour to lighten the thread up (just for a moment) Smile I think some of you will enjoy it Wink

I found this piece written by a bloke who called himself Dr Mongrel Punter.
It was published on 21st August 2009 in The Age.

Quote:
Pies song to change

"OH, THE premiership’s a cakewalk" is about to be erased from the Collingwood Football Club’s theme song as thousands of Magpie supporters prepare themselves for another heartbreaking finals campaign that will crudely remind them — once again — that the premiership is not a "cakewalk" at all.

A Collingwood insider revealed to Mongrel Punter that the words would be scrapped within the fortnight and believed they were a contributing factor to the club’s record 25 grand final failures.

"The line is inappropriate and our psychologists have evidence that it has been responsible for our players’ fragile mental state on grand final day," the insider said.
"And what the hell is a cakewalk, anyway? We understand it’s got something to do with a slave dance on the plantations in America’s slave days.

"Whatever, it’s wrong, it’s politically incorrect and in its literal form, it is totally absurd. Who the hell walks on cakes anyway?"

Mongrel Punter can also reveal that the Richmond Past Players Association has finally "cracked it" with lyrics in its club song and is demanding a change to the line "like the Tigers of old, we’re strong and we’re bold".

"We’re sick of the current group comparing themselves to us every time they give some bloody hopeless team a touchup.

Jack Dyer turns in his grave whenever they utter the bloody words," a past premiership player said.

Port Adelaide is believed to be searching for a new song after fi nally deciding, along with its jumper, that the original was embarrassing.

But until then the line, "We’ll never stop, stop, stop/’Til we’re top, top, top," will be changed to: "We’ll probably stop, stop, stop/When they get on top, top, top,"; also: "We’ll never give in," will be altered to "we’ll more than likely give in".

At Hawthorn, the word "happy" is expected to be deleted from its song next year with coach Alastair Clarkson asking for the opening line to be changed to: "We’re a cranky team at Hawthorn."

It is understood Clarkson is unhappy with the club’s "happy", "family" image and wants to give the club a makeover to promote its unsociable behaviour, from loud-mouth administrators down to angry coaches and unsociable on-field attitude.

In other club song news, Frank Sinatra’s classic New York, New York is on the shortlist for the new Gold Coast team’s song and club officials are excited by the prospect of having thousands of fans singing: "It’s up to you Gold Coast, Gold Coast."

Geelong has scoffed at rumours it will change the words in its song to "We are Geelong/ the greatest one-in-a-row team of all" and the West Coast and Fremantle football clubs have decided to stick with their songs next year, despite the fact that everyone thinks the songs are hopeless.

(https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pies-song-to-change-20090821-ge81z0.html) Smile
K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Thanks for that **** Wink Smile ie for bumping it again.

I don't know what you're talking about, PPie. Someone previously declared he would not post again, and who are we to doubt what people say?
When a page has about 30 threads, no one would claim that being around 12-15 is "in danger of slipping off" the page, would he?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25   

Jump to: