Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to change the song, I suggest they consider following another club. After all, there are 17 other theme songs to choose from, so I'm sure one of them will tick all pc boxes you require. As for me, I expect to be proudly belting out "...the Premiership's a cakewalk, for the good old Collingwood" after we demolish the Eagles in the 2019 Grannie.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 pm

simon tonna wrote:
^^^
never liked it, never will and please don't come up with that quote because you don't support the argument. yes man.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
... As for me, I expect to be proudly belting out "...the Premiership's a cakewalk, for the good old Collingwood" after we demolish the Eagles in the 2019 Grannie.

Quite frankly, no one should be belting out anything after a Pies GF, unless they did not actually get a ticket to it. Anyone at the GF should have spent all noise-making capacity at the game. That (noise deficit) is a real possible cause of the GF Curse.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 pm

K wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
... a poor return for effort

I don't think learning one new line in a song takes a great deal of effort Smile .

So you agree there is some effort involved

Not from the players and coaches... It's possible there may be some effort needed by the administration to pacify a small subset of hysterical supporters, though.

Except that, both the Poll and History show that it's not a small subset of supporters that don't want change.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
If anyone wants to change the song, I suggest they consider following another club. After all, there are 17 other theme songs to choose from, so I'm sure one of them will tick all pc boxes you require. As for me, I expect to be proudly belting out "...the Premiership's a cakewalk, for the good old Collingwood" after we demolish the Eagles in the 2019 Grannie.

Rudeboy, for me anyway, it's not about being pc. Don't know where you got that idea from. Confused
Well, if that's what you're going to be doing after the GF next year, I'll be in seventh heaven too. It's the only time I'll ever feel justified in singing the present line again - ie after we demolish the opposition in a GF.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

How many extra wins can we count on after changing the song?

Like most of us, I have no crystal ball, but I would feel as though some efforts were being made to address all possible factors that contribute to us losing so
many GFs. Or do you think it's all just pure bad luck???
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Except that, both the Poll and History show that it's not a small subset of supporters that don't want change.

Stui, this of itself doesn't mean much at all. It's more the reasons the small sub-set engaged in the poll don't favour change.
From what I can gather, the main reason is "because it's always been that way". Yet progress of any sort is nigh on impossible, if not accompanied by change. Prime example of this for our club has been the changes that Bucks underwent last season in his coaching style.

What did you mean by referring to History? The one futile attempt last century to replace the last line with a somewhat limp, underwhelming phrase?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 pm

[quote="Rd10.1998_11.1#36"][quote="PyreneesPie"]
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Just wondering if you read the article...

I did take the time to read what you linked

Well, thanks for that. So what were your reactions/thoughts?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:
It's possible there may be some effort needed by the administration to pacify a small subset of hysterical supporters, though.

I was actually optimistically assuming only a small subset of those would be hysterical.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:36 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
How many extra wins can we count on after changing the song?

Like most of us, I have no crystal ball, but I would feel as though some efforts were being made to address all possible factors that contribute to us losing so many GFs. Or do you think it's all just pure bad luck???

Yep, crystal balls are scarce. For example, in hindsight we know going and climbing a mountain in Arizona gave only psychological benefit, with no physiological benefit. How big was that psychological benefit? Who can say?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 am

I did some quick research on the all time VFL/AFL Grand Final win/loss ratios:

Collingwood have played in the most Grand Finals. Essendon and Carlton have been premiers 16 times, Collingwood 15

Carlton
16 wins, 13 losses - winning percentage 55.1%
Essendon
16 wins, 14 losses - winning percentage 53.1%
Collingwood
15 wins, 27 losses –winning percentage 35.7%

This is unequivocal data that shows there’s something really amiss with our Grand Final record and that it’s being seriously affected by something. 36% is way below what would be expected due to random probability, which should be around 50%, as it is with Essendon and Carlton.
What’s been the one constant over the course of our history – players? coaches? rules? opposition? logo? Nup, all have changed.

The one constant in all that time has been the club song. Has our GF record been adversely affected by the presumption of the “premiership’s a cakewalk”??? Yes, I think so. If nothing else, it would give the opposing team extra incentive to knock us off our perch. It certainly doesn't appear to give us extra motivation to succeed in the big one.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 am

PPie, I looked at this around the time Cam & Jezza were providing Pie data in the GF Curse thread... & afltables.com gives slightly different numbers from your source*:

Carlton 16W 13L
Essendon 14W 1D 14L
Richmond 11W 11L

Those are 2nd to 4th on the list of clubs who've played the most GFs. Other clubs are below 20 GFs each.

If that's right, you cannot get closer to the expected 50% than Essendon and Richmond currently are.

The chance that our GF record is due simply to random bad luck is about 2%.

* I now remember the reason: in 1897 and 1924, there was no GF.

Last edited by K on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 am

K wrote:
What do you mean by "unlike K"? Do you claim to have magical powers that let you know what others have read or not?

What I mean is you didn't read the link I posted earlier about the origin of the word cakewalk. Nothing magical required

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 am

Clumsy new recruits will hurt us more than a word!

In the great words of Disney

Let it go, Let it go, Let it Gooooooooo!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 am

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
... As for me, I expect to be proudly belting out "...the Premiership's a cakewalk, for the good old Collingwood" after we demolish the Eagles in the 2019 Grannie.

Quite frankly, no one should be belting out anything after a Pies GF, unless they did not actually get a ticket to it. Anyone at the GF should have spent all noise-making capacity at the game. That (noise deficit) is a real possible cause of the GF Curse.

Maasaaaaaaaate. Hard to pick one highlight of absurdity from this thread, but this is ... you’re kidding, right!?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 18 of 25   

Jump to: