Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Pell sexual abuse trials and fresh investigation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ just what I said but mine was without the waffle 😉
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:22 pm

No, you're right – your fellatio joke had a lot less build-up. Razz
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:43 pm

David wrote:
No, you're right – your fellatio joke had a lot less build-up. Razz

Apart from being outrageously immature I thought it was apt given the circumstances

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:24 pm

The transcript of today's pronouncement is at http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/cth/HCATrans//2019/217.html

To save you looking it up, this is what is says, omitting formal and irrelevant parts:

Application for special leave to appeal

GORDON J

EDELMAN J

TRANSCRIPT OF PROCEEDINGS

AT CANBERRA ON WEDNESDAY, 13 NOVEMBER 2019, AT 9.34 AM

Copyright in the High Court of Australia

GORDON J: In this application, Justice Edelman and I order that the application for special leave to appeal to this Court from the judgment and orders of the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria given and made on 21 August 2019 be referred to a Full Court of this Court for argument as on an appeal. The parties will be made aware of the directions necessary for undertaking that hearing.

AT 9.34 AM THE MATTER WAS CONCLUDED
(my emphasis added)

So, it's going to be argued "as on an appeal" - ie, full hearing of the appeal, not the 2 x twenty minute super-overs that normally apply to the oral hearing of a special leave application.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks P4S! This is clarified a little further here:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/13/what-has-happened-with-cardinal-george-pells-appeal-against-child-sex-abuse

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:29 pm

K wrote:
Won't it be very short then?

Under a minute, according to the transcript.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:33 pm

watt price tully wrote:
^ just what I said but mine was without the waffle 😉

You were more accurate and what you said did not involve any speculative flying of kites.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
K wrote:
Won't it be very short then?

Under a minute, according to the transcript.

What a shame we missed the broadcast! Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:48 pm

David wrote:
Thanks P4S! This is clarified a little further here:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/13/what-has-happened-with-cardinal-george-pells-appeal-against-child-sex-abuse

This is very frustrating for me - given my position, I do not feel that it is proper for me to set out my views as to the rationale of the referral but, on the other hand, I'm reading a whole lot of speculative tripe (the media, not you good folk).

Perhaps some of you might like to consider this question from the point of view of the Court - what line(s) might have been likely to be adopted by the Pell-support-camp if special leave had been refused without reasons today? For bonus points, work as many of the following phrases into your answer as you can: "without the benefit of full argument", "only two judges of the Court", "completed high school at Scotch College in Perth, Western Australia" and "received her secondary schooling at St Mary's Anglican Girls' School and Presbyterian Ladies' College".
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Just to be clear, are there some factual errors there? Because I have to admit that I'm otherwise struggling to get my head around the "as on an appeal" concept.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:19 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question but the "as on an appeal" bit means that they're going to set down the special leave application to be heard as if it were the hearing of a full appeal. So, Pell might ultimately get some form of shrift, but come what may, he won't be able say it was "short".

In that respect, there is unlikely to be any two-stage hearing procedure by the Full Court - it will almost certainly hear everything at once and decide, given what it has heard, whether or not leave should be granted and, if leave is granted, whether the appeal should be allowed or dismissed.

On the procedural point as to whether leave is refused or not, it normally matters at the intermediate appellate level for technical reasons that will strike you (rightly) as entirely arcane. It doesn't really matter in the same procedural way at the High Court (since there is no further avenue of appeal) but I think the Court's decision today probably foreshadows that the Court intends to give detailed written reasons, whatever the outcome (including if it refuses special leave).
K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
This is very frustrating for me - given my position, I do not feel that it is proper for me to set out my views as to the rationale of the referral but...

But isn't that (setting out their views) what people like Michael Bradley (there are many quoted in this thread; he's just the most recent) do? Do you feel they shouldn't write media articles or be rent-a-quotes?

Here's another media attempt at explanation:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/george-pell-s-latest-legal-fight-your-questions-answered-20191113-p53a9z.html
K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 am

High Court decision on George Pell is extraordinary but sensible

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/high-court-decision-on-george-pell-is-extraordinary-but-sensible/news-story/13c60869f95eed618e2233d2ce8d5c8c

"Legal insiders have described the Weinberg judgment as an effective letter to the High Court, urging it to seriously examine the Pell convictions.

Weinberg was the criminal expert on the Court Of Appeal.

This may or may not have been what fuelled today’s High Court decision.

The High Court, by agreeing to consider the matter next year, has simply enhanced the standing of the legal system, with potentially profound implications for child sex abuse cases.

After all, Pell was convicted on the word of one altar boy in what many believe are unlikely circumstances.

Stripping away the venom of the culture wars, it has always been possible that Pell offended.

The decision of the three courts tends to confirm this.

However, was it beyond reasonable doubt, based on the evidence, that Pell assaulted the boys in those circumstances?

This is why the High Court’s decision to look next year at the case should be seen as a welcome development."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 am

Or not. More speculative tripe. “This may or may not have been ....” Really, if they have nothing to say, they might best not say anything.

Go back and answer the question I posed. You will find that your answer, however ill-equipped you might think you are to answer that question, much more informative than the sort of ridiculous, baseless pulp being peddled about this over the last the 11 months in the press.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:51 pm

The hearing of the High Court special leave application/appeal is set for 11 and 12 March 2020.

A link on the Court's web-site to the page from which you can access the respective submissions and chronology is: https://www.hcourt.gov.au/cases/case_m112-2019
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 22 of 33   

Jump to: