Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it was the Kelly kid but he looks like a man already - big Boy, I'm hoping the defender we have been waiting for!!!!
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 am

Does anyone know how the bidding system works with these kids if we choose one or more? Especially as we have already traded away our first round pick in 2016 to get Treloar?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Does anyone know how the bidding system works with these kids if we choose one or more? Especially as we have already traded away our first round pick in 2016 to get Treloar?

Not precisely but IIRC all clubs have the option of bidding on father sons and academy players.

Each pick in the draft is assigned a points value. So if Carlton offered their first round pick for Daic's that would have a points value that we can beat with a number of lower picks once you add up the points value of those picks.

That's why the clubs with Academies were happy to trade players for multiple low picks instead of 1 high pick as they could use the points value of the picks. That's how Sydney got Callum Mills using 4 low picks to beat Melbourne's 1st round offer.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:51 pm

I was coming here to thread on this very subject! Barry Price was the first player I can remember looking at as a very small kid, and thinking "WOW", as he'd smack a perfect stab pass leaving lace marks on Macca's sternum.
From the video he hasn’t lost much of his touch. Thirty years my senior, but I wish I could still kick a pill like that.

SO, to hear the great man's excitement about the uncanny touch of the Daicos boys, (and young Brown looks a ripper too!) is about as exciting as it gets, he would've been still at the club when the skinny Macedonian kid with the curly mop first appeared, now he's getting good habits into the junior Daicos's (who apparently eat, sleep and crap with a footy in their hands!)

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Bary Price was all class as a player and he seems to be the same as a mentor/teacher to these boys. Around 30 yrs as a sports/football teacher makes him the perfect fit for this role. While it would be great to end up with the Richardon, Brown and Kelly boys, without doubt we MUST ensure we land the Daicos boys. To hear Bary Price, one of the most skilful players ever to don the black and white, sound in awe of the touch and skills of the young Daicos boys, sends shivers down my spine. Normally these recruiting decisions are left totally to the football Department, but in this instance I expect Eddie to instruct Derek Hine to ensure we recruit the Daicos boys. Of course this is a romantic notion, but without some romance, football is dead.

mate if we don't father son the Daicos kid I'll personally lead the angry mob carrying torches and pitchforks to the Holden centre. Bring your trumpet Wink

If we overlooked a Daicos and he then went on to be a good player for another club the implications would be horrific for everyone involved.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Boot 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:02 am

The club is dong a great job encouraging sons of past players to develop their skills under the expert guidance of the club. Hopefully this program pays dividends with some exciting talent being drafted to the club via this preferential system.

I hear that while the eldest son of Peter Daicos is talented, it is the 2nd son that has something special about him. Looking forward to seeing him come through the ranks.

Also can;t wait to see Ace and Jet Buckley playing for Collingwood!!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:52 pm
Post subject: Father sonReply with quote

I've been researching the father son rules (see file below)
Whilst they are somewhat confusing they also make it easier to understand
The only thing is when will we have our first live pick (remembering we have traded away picks already) and will we have enough draft picks to match any bid for young Daicos & Brown
I believe it's going to take around 3-5 2nd,3rd,4th round picks for each player
The part I don't like is any club can bid to take them at any position meaning we have to match it or lose them. Going to be hard to muster enough picks so we might have to package up the odd player and lower draft picks to get picks worth more points in second rd to land both lads.
A lot depends on who bids on them

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:27 pm
Post subject: Re: Father sonReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
The only thing is when will we have our first live pick (remembering we have traded away picks already) and will we have enough draft picks to match any bid for young Daicos & Brown
The part I don't like is any club can bid to take them at any position meaning we have to match it or lose them. Going to be hard to muster enough picks so we might have to package up the odd player and lower draft picks to get picks worth more points in second rd to land both lads.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

Trading Cloke and Witts should secure the picks we need.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Both are rather small players, so unlikely that anyone will bid a first round pick for either.

We can therefore easily match any 2nd round offer with the relevant points from the rest of our picks.

If the only players we pick up in the national draft this year are Callum Brown and Josh Daicos I'd be fine with that.

Hope to see both playing a game or two for the VFL after the national championships too, just like Darcy did.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:35 pm

mattys123 wrote:
^

Good point Matty. After all, we'll also be 'recruiting' Keeffe as well.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Post subject: Re: Father sonReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Totally dependant upon what other clubs are prepared to bid. Might still secure both as rookies.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:10 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Both are rather small players, so unlikely that anyone will bid a first round pick for either.

We can therefore easily match any 2nd round offer with the relevant points from the rest of our picks.

If the only players we pick up in the national draft this year are Callum Brown and Josh Daicos I'd be fine with that.

Hope to see both playing a game or two for the VFL after the national championships too, just like Darcy did.

Good point Matty I'm just afraid some club will bid on them early for the heck of it and force us to decide which one to go for. If they bid unsuccessfully meaning we match the bid they drop to the next draft spot correct ?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:14 pm

I guess if we need to find a trade or 2 to get some picks Thomas may be available as we seem to have several like for like
Another who comes to mind is Marley as we have several HBF most have better skills than him. Can't see us trading away Cloke or Witts really nor can I see us giving up Keefe 200+ cm KPP don't grow on trees and if he played CHB would free up Reid to play CHF or Keefe could play FB at a pinch Reid at CHB if Brown was injured.
I just couldn't or wouldn't want to see either at another club. Both are small but both are skilful something we could do with especially Josh who is apparently a good goal sneak and crumber
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Here are some Highlights of them Both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0J1B_yt9xY&feature=youtu.be

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:22 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I guess if we need to find a trade or 2 to get some picks Thomas may be available as we seem to have several like for like
Another who comes to mind is Marley as we have several HBF most have better skills than him. Can't see us trading away Cloke or Witts really nor can I see us giving up Keefe 200+ cm KPP don't grow on trees and if he played CHB would free up Reid to play CHF or Keefe could play FB at a pinch Reid at CHB if Brown was injured.
I just couldn't or wouldn't want to see either at another club. Both are small but both are skilful something we could do with especially Josh who is apparently a good goal sneak and crumber

Of course we could trade Witts. We tried to do it last year and only kept him because he was adamant about staying. Now that Cox looks to be coming on it becomes even more likely that he'd be traded. If we feel Cox is the goods then we pretty much have to trade Witts unless he has an outstanding year. Stockpiling three promising rucks is a bit of a waste if we can improve other areas by a trade.

Cloke is a different story, we don't yet have one replacement for him let alone two. Only way a trade happens there is if we can find a quality ready made and young KPP in return. Like hen's teeth they are.

Either way it looks as if Brown and Daicos won't be attracting early picks, so it's not likely we'll need to do much trading to secure them. I doubt either is worth a Cloke or Wiits, that's for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 18 of 39   

Jump to: