Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tim Broomhead to Back Pocket

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 pm
Post subject: Tim Broomhead to Back PocketReply with quote

Yes it is November and all of the limelight is on the new draftees and hope that they make us an overall better balanced squad. That aside, I am enthusiastic that the club held onto to Tim Broomhead and are praying for a smooth pre-season and sound form in the pre-season matches.

The match committe should be congratualted for deploying our players in roles throughout 2018 that allowed their X factor tendencies to shine, namely:

* Hoskin Elliott: moved from wing to a forward
* Stephenson: pseudo full forward
* Thomas: closer to goal
* Mihocek: recruited as a back but kicked 29 goals in only 16 matches
* DeGoey: more forward than midfield

That being said, with an overabundance of midfielders on our list and the hopeful return of Jamie Elliott, a player such as Tim Broomfield needs a "fresh challenge" whilst serving a positional playing need we lack.

So Tim Broomfield to the BACK POCKET solves two needs. His own as well as the clubs. Sam Murray won't play another AFL game for the Pies again. Quaynor shall need time to develop.

Yes Tim has his knockers here on "Nick's" however when fit, he does possess traits such as:

* excellent disposal by foot
* clean hands
* good ground ball player and a
* good decision maker

There is less body contact playing behind the ball and we have genuinely lacked an offensive running weapon clearing the ball out from defence since Leon Davis retired and Heath Shaw went to GWS.

Welcome anyone elses thoughts??

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Where did Tim get his knockers here on Nick's? The past and future are one.
mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:33 pm

Can't help but feel hes on the list to keep Grundy happy.. which isn't such a bad move. I hope we don't hang onto him like the Lions did with Claye Beams.. 1 in 7 seasons >10 games.
----------
------------
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:44 pm

I dont think he's quite in the same class as Leon or Heath, but this is a position we have been missing. A small clean up defender.

Who knows how many games he would have played in 2018 if he didnt break his leg?

If Murray does get the chop, then there could be an opportunity for this to take place.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:04 am

Presti35 wrote:
I dont think he's quite in the same class as Leon or Heath, but this is a position we have been missing. A small clean up defender.

Who knows how many games he would have played in 2018 if he didnt break his leg?

If Murray does get the chop, then there could be an opportunity for this to take place.

good points

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:04 am

mackasmatt wrote:
Can't help but feel hes on the list to keep Grundy happy.. which isn't such a bad move. I hope we don't hang onto him like the Lions did with Claye Beams.. 1 in 7 seasons >10 games.

got to love the "buddy system"!

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:44 am

Remember Neon Leon kicking out from defence?

Could do the same

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 am

Broomhead probably remains too slight to play consistently acceptable AFL football. I said this several years ago after watching him have a 35-disposal game in the VFL at Coburg. Unless he has bulked up dramatically in the period he has been on the sidelines, he can only be backup. He has good skills but has been too small for AFL football for 6 seasons, now.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Broomhead probably remains too slight to play consistently acceptable AFL football. I said this several years ago after watching him have a 35-disposal game in the VFL at Coburg. Unless he has bulked up dramatically in the period he has been on the sidelines, he can only be backup. He has good skills but has been too small for AFL football for 6 seasons, now.

I agree with you, by my calculations he will be the brownlow medalist next year!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:34 pm

In theory he has the attributes to defend against small forwards ( and use the ball well on the way out ) as long as they aren’t particularly strong at holding their position in marking contests.
He would probably hold his own against guys who haven’t been in the system very long.
I reckon he would be worth a shot on a horses for courses basis but you would need to have a plan B for the opposition when they decided to isolate him one out against a strong bodied player.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:11 pm

He'll be 25 at the start of next season and still hasn't cemented a place in the 22.

Not great.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:16 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I agree with you, by my calculations he will be the brownlow medalist next year!

Has Mitchell been dropped from the senior list and rookied by Hawthorn? I must have missed the memo.

Broomhead is 3 cm taller but 2kg lighter. I’m not sure how that comparison could be relevant. I didn’t say he isn’t tall enough; I said he has been too slight - let me be blunt about this: he has typically had less than zero impact on the physical contest so far. Unless he gets big enough for that to change, he is SANFL-fodder. He certainly can’t play in the backline doing his impersonation of a ringwraith.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:19 pm

He’s a mid. That’s what he is. He’s played his best football as a mid in the VFL and that’s where he should be. If he can’t secure a spot in the Magpie midfield in the next year then being brutal about it, he won’t extend his contract.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:45 pm

It's nice that we've redrafted him, but what exactly are we expecting of him.. and where does he fit in. Imho we have a LOT more 'potential' depth to our list then in recent years, so its hard to see him fitting in?

But good luck to the lad, he deserves it.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:59 pm

I see a real talent in Broomy. In my view he is an in and under midfielder - crumbing forward. Unfortunately has been handed a bad hand on the injury front from the day he was drafted here. His shoulder injury and broken leg have been the worst and have halted his development in the last 4 years. We have seen in patches what he can do and in my view is elite stuff! His delivery by hand and foot and awareness are elite, His shoulder injury has limited his tackling and marking overhead. From my recollection when he did his shoulder, the game was against the Hawks the opposition where really into him as he was playing in the centre and looking like he would do what he did in the VFL.
I'm always hopeful, hope he gets it all togethor again and we can enjoy watching him play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: