Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Matching bids

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 am
Post subject: Matching bidsReply with quote

If a club bids on Quaynor and we match it, does that club lose its spot?

If a club bids on Quaynor and we don't match it, do we get next pick?
E 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am
Post subject: Re: Matching bidsReply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
If a club bids on Quaynor and we match it, does that club lose its spot?

If a club bids on Quaynor and we don't match it, do we get next pick?

both wrong.

If someone else bids and we match, they get the next pick. If we don't match, we just stay where we are.

We really are in a terrible position. The only thing that saves us is that there is maybe a minuscule chance that a club think we might not match (more unlikely than usual since our first pick is at 40 odd).

It will be really fascinating to see if someone takes the risk of taking Quaynor knowing that they'd rather take someone else, just to screw us.

The joke will be on them if they do it too high and we don't match and they miss out on their player of choice. The problem is, how do we instill fear that we might call their bluff, when we are holding the 2, 7 off suit.

On balance, I think they both go slightly higher than they would have if we had real draft picks.

ON the other hand, i've heard that some teams actually covet these players, so maybe they just go where they would have all along..... we are not the only team in this position.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If Quaynor goes top 5 we won't match meaning that our first pick will be Will Kelly under F/S and we have a few picks in the forties to come up with other draftees. The club picking Quaynor is shortchanging themselves of a better top 5 pick just to screw us and 16 other clubs will be happy they effectively move up one in the draft order. This scenario won't play out, but the one that worries me is if both Quaynor and Kelly go between 15-20, in which case I assume we go into deficit points for next year.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Picking a prospect for the sake of screwing over another club just won’t happen. You’re only going to pick the player that a club sees as the next best fit for their list.
Most clubs also understand that anything “ outside the code “ would only come back and haunt them at some stage.
I remember a few years ago when Essendon picked young silvagni very late in the draft and Carlton came in immediately over the top and grabbed him as a father son pick. Both clubs had a big chuckle across the table when Silvagnis name was first called out and it was all in a bit a fun.
Hmm, maybe Carlton should have passed.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:24 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
If Quaynor goes top 5 we won't match meaning that our first pick will be Will Kelly under F/S and we have a few picks in the forties to come up with other draftees. The club picking Quaynor is shortchanging themselves of a better top 5 pick just to screw us and 16 other clubs will be happy they effectively move up one in the draft order. This scenario won't play out, but the one that worries me is if both Quaynor and Kelly go between 15-20, in which case I assume we go into deficit points for next year.

Why wouldn't we match a 5 spot? What do we lose? Points? Who cares about points.

I don't think a team would risk us screwing them back by letting them have Quaynor at 5 (as you say, the only winners are 16 other teams).

Having said that, i think we wont be that troubled by going into deficit to pick up these two talented kids. I think our list is set for the next three years. Whether we pick early in 2019 draft isn't going to have ANY impact on our 2019 and 2020 flag aspirations (in my opinion). These are the two years we should be most focused on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: