Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best of Three Grand Final

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

all football codes around the world have one final or grand final why we need 3 gil better say no
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 am

A moronic solution for an obvious problem. I've long been a fan of the grand final's venue rotating or being played at the home ground of the higher-finishing team, and I think that's something that the AFL should genuinely consider. But a best-of-three grand final series is such an obviously stupid idea that I can't help but wonder if Sydney and West Coast are just using it as an ambit claim in the hope that support will grow for the "compromise" option.

Then again, Andrew Ireland's always been a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 pm

David wrote:
But a best-of-three grand final series is such an obviously stupid idea that I can't help but wonder if Sydney and West Coast are just using it as an ambit claim in the hope that support will grow for the "compromise" option.

That's exactly what Sydney and WC are doing, pushing for the most extreme option so the one they want looks like a fair compromise. And ditto re Ireland's picnic.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
David wrote:
But a best-of-three grand final series is such an obviously stupid idea that I can't help but wonder if Sydney and West Coast are just using it as an ambit claim in the hope that support will grow for the "compromise" option.

That's exactly what Sydney and WC are doing, pushing for the most extreme option so the one they want looks like a fair compromise. And ditto re Ireland's picnic.

Isn't there something in place that keeps the GF at the G until 2050 or something?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
David wrote:

Inside story: how the MCG won the grand final for the next 40 years

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/inside-story-how-the-mcg-won-the-grand-final-for-the-next-40-years-20180413-p4z9jq.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks for the update! I think that's a shame and a sign of a real lack of forward thinking. But money talks...
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 pm

David wrote:
...But a best-of-three grand final series is such an obviously stupid idea that I can't help but wonder if Sydney and West Coast are just using it as an ambit claim in the hope that support will grow for the "compromise" option.

As soon as these deluded flogs in Sydney and West Coast can come play two of their home games at telstra Dump, like all the other suckers, then we MIGHT consider it...

Jpies 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Skids wrote:
Takes away the meaning of "Grand Final"

Most ridiculous suggestion and should never be entertained.

"Grand Trinal"
E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:23 pm

David wrote:
A moronic solution for an obvious problem. I've long been a fan of the grand final's venue rotating or being played at the home ground of the higher-finishing team, and I think that's something that the AFL should genuinely consider. But a best-of-three grand final series is such an obviously stupid idea that I can't help but wonder if Sydney and West Coast are just using it as an ambit claim in the hope that support will grow for the "compromise" option.

Wembley and the MCG. Iconic stadiums. No need to move them. If you want to win a grand final, you come to the G.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:25 pm

David wrote:
Thanks for the update! I think that's a shame and a sign of a real lack of forward thinking. But money talks...

...or, great to see that the home of football will continue to be the home of football. i find it so amusing that when the outcome is different to your views, you paint the picture of an evil empire (in this case money) somehow being unfair. David, i wonder if you have ever accepted that someone else's view might actually be the fairer one than yours. Do you ever wonder if you maybe aren't always thinking about everything correctly?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:03 pm

E wrote:
David, i wonder if you have ever accepted that someone else's view might actually be the fairer one than yours. Do you ever wonder if you maybe aren't always thinking about everything correctly?

Lol, that's a good one. Do you? Have you ever stopped to think "maybe this dead horse I've been flogging all these years about percentage not mattering is ridiculous and I should consider the arguments against it"? Nooooope.

You want to debate my points about fairness and the power of money (an "evil empire" is your term, not mine) when it comes to where the grand final is held? Fine. Convince me I'm wrong. The problem is, I suspect, that you can't, because your position (and that of most people's) on this topic has nothing to do with fairness – it's about tradition. You think that, as the grand final has (almost) always been held at the MCG, it should continue to be held there.

I'm not saying that's an illegitimate view to hold. Tradition is, to an extent, important (which is one reason why, for instance, many of us prefer a Saturday afternoon grand final to a Saturday night one). But it has nothing to do with fairness. It's pretty obvious, I think, that it's unfair to always give the Victorian team home-ground advantage in the grand final when they're playing an interstate team. If that's true, then what we need to work out is which we care more about: tradition or fairness. Personally, I would prefer fairness, and I don't feel that tradition is hurt too greatly by moving the grand final away from the MCG every few years (i.e. when a higher-placed interstate team makes it). But ultimately, we know that this decision wasn't about honestly weighing up these two factors and working out which one was more important: it was about money. $8 million, to be exact.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

One extra problem of a non-MCG GF is that there is no worthy ground in the rest of the country for a GF. They build all these new, shiny stadiums with 50k capacity... (and partially dismantle Olympic & Comm. Games stadiums).

The argument about being "higher-placed" is flawed, of course, because the H&A season is so unfair that where one finishes is not a reflection of merit. The way to true fairness is not an easy one. It would involve getting rid of a lot of Vic. clubs, for starters.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Daniel Hannebery says he wants a best-of-three GF. Is Sydney still paying his salary?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 pm

K wrote:
One extra problem of a non-MCG GF is that there is no worthy ground in the rest of the country for a GF. They build all these new, shiny stadiums with 50k capacity... (and partially dismantle Olympic & Comm. Games stadiums).

The argument about being "higher-placed" is flawed, of course, because the H&A season is so unfair that where one finishes is not a reflection of merit. The way to true fairness is not an easy one.

It’s true that there are many unfair things in the competition. But home-ground advantage for finals is one that, in every case bar grand finals, is fairly reasonably adjudicated. Can you imagine the howls of outrage here if we finished top 2 but, because of scheduling conflicts, had to play our qualifying final in Perth or Adelaide? Or a prelim, after winning through and getting a week off? You’d never hear the end of it. But again, we act as if that problem magically disappears in the most important game of all – which is convenient, given it always happens to be played at our home ground.

Stadium capacity is an issue. But it’s not one that affects the vast majority of fans, who can’t get into a grand final anyway. The people who would really be affected if the grand final were moved to the Gabba, the SCG, Adelaide Oval or Optus Stadium (all of which have capacities ranging from 40,000 to 60,000 – which I’m guessing more than covers the number of regular fans who make it into a grand final at the MCG) would be the corporate box holders and other various theatregoers. The rest of us would just watch it on TV like we always have anyway. Lost $$$ for the AFL, again. But they’re not going to go bankrupt over it.

So it’s $$$ and tradition vs fairness. It’s fine if you want to argue in favour of the former, as long as you don’t pretend it’s a fair solution.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:57 pm

^ Home-ground advantage vs. an interstate team is huge. It's just that you have in no way earnt it by finishing higher from the H&A season. The AFL needs to make the fixture fair.

In practical terms, it would be a smaller problem if teams were not so hopeless travelling. (Exhibit A: Richmond.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: