Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Physical contact: tackling and the bump

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:45 pm
Post subject: Physical contact: tackling and the bumpReply with quote

I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed a change in the way players initiate contact with their opponents. Ball carriers are breaking free from tackles with ease more often than not these days, and it's got me thinking why..

Are players afraid to make contact or lay a hard tackle for fear of reprisal from the umpires, mrp and/or media? Many will choose to lay a soft bump instead. I've noticed Varcoe and JDG do this from time to time (others too).

Is the gap between physically strong and weak players too great and that's why many players are able to break free from tackles and sneak a handball.. Many players (ours included) seem to struggle in being able to stick a tackle. Are players just afraid or unsure about how to tackle? How many times do we see tackles go unrewarded?

Obviously you can't sling tackle now or perform a double movement in a tackle, and any forward momentum generated during a tackle will quite often result in a free kick for a push in the back, if you don't 'roll your opponent'.

I don't want to see players physically hurt, but I don't want our great game to end up like basketball or gaelic football/afl-x either. Tackling and bumping is a great part of our game but I honestly think the powers that be are looking to remove elements of physical contact or modify it to a great extent by forcing a change in technique and 'how you tackle'.

I wouldn't be surprised that in years to come physical contact such as the bump or tackle might be phased out completely in an attempt to make the game as clean as possible for the football viewing public.

What do you all think?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Duty of care now being part of players’s responsibility and the deemed force / intent being decided by adjudicators clouds correct outcome

The Varcoe one was forcefull if you see Flips head shoot back tho Varcoe does not lift off ground nor raise elbow —add to that it was in normal game situ

Look at Abletts especially the 2nd week he made meters to make contact with raised arm and off ground leap—-that kind is IMO a charge at a player

taff wa 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mumford bump sent the Carlton player to hospital he gets off, the Saints player played on,Varcoe gets a week. Seriously warped. I’m baffled as to what is happening with Christian decidions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: