Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Midterm Elections 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ Whats important is that Trumps domestic policy agenda is effectively stalled for the next two years. Plus, for those who care, impeachment proceedings can get underway now.

It think it's now time for Trump to pause, take stock and declare himself president for life.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Jezza wrote:
Looks like the Republicans will gain Missouri in the Senate as I predicted.

I think this is the big surprise. I mean not unexpected in the latest polling but defiantly not expected 12 months ago.

Im tempted to call a nil all draw although Trump wasnt having any luck with some of his legislative agenda anyway. Retaining and growing the senate is a big win to Republicans.

Next two years will be interesting. Beto might now be a front runner for the dem nomination.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:13 pm

"We're going to have an impeachment" to the tune of "We're going on a bear hunt".

Fun times.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Trump wins Senate: expected. No change
Dems win House: expected. Change against Trump

Net result: Trump lost. He admitted as much the other day for damage control.

(I understand the result is likely at this stage iwith respect to the house)

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Spare some change?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:30 pm

First time since 1914 that a party has gained control of the House but lost seats in the Senate.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
"We're going to have an impeachment" to the tune of "We're going on a bear hunt".

Fun times.

He's more likely to win 2020 than be impeached.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Jezza wrote:
First time since 1914 that a party has gained control of the House but lost seats in the Senate.
As Einstein said, "Time is Money. " And second?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Jezza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Fun times.

I couldn't care less whether he gets impeached or not - but it's going to be hilarious fun watching him be unable to do any more of what passes in his camp for governing while he tries to explain the contents of his tax returns when they're under the microscope.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm

"Republicans carried the national House popular vote by 1 percentage point in 2016, and based on The Upshot model, they look likely to lose by about 7 percentage points in 2018. That 8-point shift would be nearly as large as the 9-point shift toward Republicans that happened in 2010 and the largest shift toward the Democrats since 1948."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2018-election-results-coverage/?ex_cid=538twitter
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Jezza wrote:

Didn't the Democrats lose power of both houses in the midterm after Obama was elected?

Based on that, You'd have to say Trump has done well. That the much anticipated "Blue Wave" didn't happen suggests the country is actually more divided than ever and the Democrats need to tighten their grip on reality

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Didn't the Democrats lose power of both houses in the midterm after Obama was elected?

Based on that, You'd have to say Trump has done well. That the much anticipated "Blue Wave" didn't happen suggests the country is actually more divided than ever and the Democrats need to tighten their grip on reality

Agree.

Democrats lost 63 seats in the House, but narrowly retained the Senate despite losing 6 seats in 2010. In comparison, the Republicans have made gains in the Senate and are projected to lose 30-35 seats in the House in this election cycle.

In 1994 (two years after Clinton was elected), the Democrats lost both the House and Senate but Clinton was re-elected two years later in 1996.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Jezza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Fun times.

It truly is a complicated system of voting. House, Senate, Governors and a voluntary system of voting. Just when I think I understand it then comes another curveball (to use an Americanism).

Im so glad we have a compulsory system in Australia and I think preferential systems positives outweigh the negatives. Not much time for proportional representation though: gives too much power to too few who do not warrant that power in terns if numver if votes, percentages etc. I dont know enough about the NZ system to see if that is a fairer system that provide stable government.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Fun times.

It truly is a complicated system of voting. House, Senate, Governors and a voluntary system of voting. Just when I think I understand it then comes another curveball (to use an Americanism).

Im so glad we have a compulsory system in Australia and I think preferential systems positives outweigh the negatives. Not much time for proportional representation though: gives too much power to too few who do not warrant that power in terns if numver if votes, percentages etc. I dont know enough about the NZ system to see if that is a fairer system that provide stable government.

NZ doesn't have a senate IIRC so they get massive swings in public policy every time a new party is elected in the house of reps. Not sure if that makes stable government or not, but it does mean the elected party can do what they like for their term, and see if more people like it or not at the next election rather than stuffing around for 4 years doing nothing.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Meanwhile, in Nevada, the Democrats candidate was beaten by a dead brothel owner. https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/dead-brothel-owner-dennis-hof-wins-nevada-election/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: