Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the cause of our decline/slump?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:17 am
Post subject: What's the cause of our decline/slump?Reply with quote

Simple question: What are the cause(s) of our slump?

- Is it opposition sides figuring out how to counter our game plan?
- Have the coaching staff adversely tinkered with the game plan?
- Is it purely psychological?
- Have injuries caught up with us?
- Have the events involving Stephenson and Beams in the last few weeks impacted the players more than we realise?
- Is it a combination of things?

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of fellow posters.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think it’s a slump, we’ve played poorly for nearly 2 months now but got lucky in a few games. Going back 2 months and we nearly lost to Carlton...

Last year was a fluke and everyone got ahead of themselves
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:41 am

Jezza, I posted this in the game thread and will do so again here, for what it's worth. I really believe that mental attitude means everything in any sport!

"Okay... I know I will probably get slammed for this, but I've had a couple of glasses of red, so who cares?? Smile

Last season, the boys played out of their skins. They had belief in
themselves to reach the pinnacle, despite an horrendous injury toll. They played on instinct and want. They took risks, attacked the ball with ferocity and trusted their team mates would do the same. They gave their all. And what did they get for all that effort, courage and determination? A heart-breaking GF loss on the basis of a questionable umpiring decision.

As that ultimate goal gets closer this season, the tragedy of that loss is still in their sub-conscious. Why play like demons when the end result may be the same? The pain would be just too much to bear.

So, right now they are playing scared.... afraid of what may await them in September. Honestly, our team doesn't need coaching with technical game plans and a thorough berating for playing within themselves. They need someone to give them mental courage, someone to tell them it will be alright, if they they don't reach the top of the mountain. It's the manner of the chase that gives them the joy, the glory and the satisfaction.

And I'm not drinking Wolf Blass Smile However, as Bucks is a Wolf Blass ambassador, he would do well to show the players some examples of teams failing at the last hurdle, but regardless, still winning in their own estimation and achieving the admiration of all, most importantly themselves".
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:56 am

Teams know ,if we take possession in last line of defense to give us the defensive 50 to stuff around with , sooner or later we'll turn it over , in the mean time theyve maned up n we have no one to kick to, all our fwds push up to get a kick n theres no one fwd , hence our game plan is stuffed,imop
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:38 am

BHPIE wrote:
Teams know ,if we take possession in last line of defense to give us the defensive 50 to stuff around with , sooner or later we'll turn it over , in the mean time theyve maned up n we have no one to kick to, all our fwds push up to get a kick n theres no one fwd , hence our game plan is stuffed,imop

Yeah, maybe there has been a tendency for too much hand-balling out of trouble in the back line, but perhaps this is because there's not enough leads coming from up the ground ie not enough hard running ahead of them? Sort of a vicious circle.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:00 am

The coach. 10 good weeks of footy doesn’t make you a great coach. Having the softest draw ever got us in having hardly beaten a team in the 8. The team rode that to a GF and only played well in 1 game really.
Now? We are 2017 again, soulless game plan that doesn’t suit our cattle and has been more than worked out.
It’s time Bucks. 8 years of shit, 1/2 that was any good. Enough said.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:41 am

Has anyone been to training lately. Are we undertaking some sort of heavy training block (do they even do this anymore)

One thing I noticed is a lot of our boys look physically spent last night, no one really prepared to run to provide a target or run back to cover in defence.

I had more spread in my toast this morning. Been like that for a few weeks but much more noticeable when your at the G. Hence the slow possession game up the line kicking long to no one or any burst out of defence greeted by a sea of opposition defenders. I thought we killed that game off last year but like a good horror movie you can’t kill it off.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:56 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Jezza, I posted this in the game thread and will do so again here, for what it's worth. I really believe that mental attitude means everything in any sport!

"Okay... I know I will probably get slammed for this, but I've had a couple of glasses of red, so who cares?? Smile

Last season, the boys played out of their skins. They had belief in
themselves to reach the pinnacle, despite an horrendous injury toll. They played on instinct and want. They took risks, attacked the ball with ferocity and trusted their team mates would do the same. They gave their all. And what did they get for all that effort, courage and determination? A heart-breaking GF loss on the basis of a questionable umpiring decision.

As that ultimate goal gets closer this season, the tragedy of that loss is still in their sub-conscious. Why play like demons when the end result may be the same? The pain would be just too much to bear.

So, right now they are playing scared.... afraid of what may await them in September. Honestly, our team doesn't need coaching with technical game plans and a thorough berating for playing within themselves. They need someone to give them mental courage, someone to tell them it will be alright, if they they don't reach the top of the mountain. It's the manner of the chase that gives them the joy, the glory and the satisfaction.

And I'm not drinking Wolf Blass Smile However, as Bucks is a Wolf Blass ambassador, he would do well to show the players some examples of teams failing at the last hurdle, but regardless, still winning in their own estimation and achieving the admiration of all, most importantly themselves".

So true.
I'm sure the whole Collingwood family feel this way deep down.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:12 am

Our ladder position has flattered us.....When you look at quarters won, we are sixth with 29 quarters won. After the round we'll be 8th which is a more accurate reflection of our ability that the curent ladder position.

Last year we made top 4 only because of our buttery soft draw.

This year, we're a middle of the table team.

We are not a top 2 and probably not a top 4 team.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:36 am

I think people are looking too far to find complex explanations for simple things.

We are actually not that good. We weren't that good last year - the modern draft arrangement tosses up new Grand Finalists virtually every season in a competition with too many teams and a diluted talent pool, which is good for the entertainment spectacle but awful for those of us who support a particular team. I took the view at the start of last year that we were several competent AFL players short of a team and we remain that way. That said, we would probably (and may yet) still be near the top of a very, very mediocre pile if we weren't missing Adams, Stephenson, Langdon and Howe, if some of the guys who are playing (Elliott, Sier etc) were actually match-fit and if we had at least a good VFL-standard tall forward.

The fact that we have struggled so much this season against below-par teams, so frequently, indicates that we are not going anywhere, unless something changes dramatically for us in our fit, available talent pool.

Last night was very disappointing and I absolutely hated it but it was hardly unexpected.

Also, I expressed the view in the "fixture" thread before the bye that I couldn't believe that the AFL would give us a week off and then make us play 3 games in 12 days (and the first 2 on the hardest surface in the AFL) - the draw was prepared like it was intended to bring us back to the pack and, lo and behold, it did.
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 am

Injuries, lack of intensity and tackle pressure has been non existent, we look slow and fatigued. We have lost all joy in our football. We have a mentally fragile core playing group who respond to being challenged and pressure with avoidance and going into their shells. Look at all the close games we lost in 2015-2017. Ditto last year's GF. We've pumped up our own tyres and now all the air is deflating at an ever increasing rate. We don't even have a puncture repair kit.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:16 am

The hunter has become the hunted. That is definitely a factor. Teams are up for us much more than they were last year.

Jayden Stevenson out is a factor too. Our forward line has lost a major source of goals.

Our form will turn with some confidence and there is no better panacea for the group than a win on the road.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:28 am
Post subject: Re: What's the cause of our decline/slump?Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Simple question: What are the cause(s) of our slump?

- Is it opposition sides figuring out how to counter our game plan?
- Have the coaching staff adversely tinkered with the game plan?
- Is it purely psychological?
- Have injuries caught up with us?
- Have the events involving Stephenson and Beams in the last few weeks impacted the players more than we realise?
- Is it a combination of things?

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of fellow posters.

All of the above. I'd add Grundy's contract talks, that's a niggle. And with the coaching/game plan -- some players aren't doing as instructed (and that's a combination of things too)

Just get back to basics, ffs. North did it
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:54 am

Damien wrote:
The hunter has become the hunted. That is definitely a factor. Teams are up for us much more than they were last year.

I know what you're saying, but I'd want to rephrase that to 'the hunter started believing the hype and stopped hunting'.

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
Injuries, lack of intensity and tackle pressure has been non existent, we look slow and fatigued. We have lost all joy in our football. We have a mentally fragile core playing group who respond to being challenged and pressure with avoidance and going into their shells. Look at all the close games we lost in 2015-2017. Ditto last year's GF. We've pumped up our own tyres and now all the air is deflating at an ever increasing rate. We don't even have a puncture repair kit.

It's as if we played the year in our heads before the season, in the same way players can play an individual game in their heads before the first bounce. And perhaps the coaches did this as well, being too cute by half with a range of things from fitness to tactics.

The reality is we'd only had half a good season under our belts in goodness knows how many years, so the attitude that we were contenders was, as you say, premature. We ought to have been viewing ourselves as developing and rising, not contending.

But there's hope. First, we've built a season from nothing before and get to reset this time from 10 wins. Second, we've discovered this early enough to blood a player like Quaynor who has the quality to make us genuine contenders in the future. Third, being held back on the fitness front and playing bruise-free football for half a season might still pay dividends yet. Fourth, we will get players back.

There's plenty to work with, although I do wish this happened four weeks ago.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:30 am

I’ve said it over and over and over. We can’t keep blaming injuries if we insist on retaining injury prone players just because they are good / great footballers.

Instead of culling the Reid’s , Wells and the Elliot’s we added another in Beams and then we are left wondering why every year our injuries are so numerous. It’s the same guys and has been for years. Are injuries part of the problem? Yes! Buts it’s partly our own fault too.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: