Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My early hero - Peter McKenna

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the March 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:26 pm
Post subject: My early hero - Peter McKennaReply with quote

Unashamedly stole this post from "South of the Yarra" on BF. Absolute champion and the number of games without not kicking one is mouth dropping. I have added a few video links so Smile for a while:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-04-01/peter-mckenna-highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjw1wbYFP_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U2GFXngjeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR8vtt9hjX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r39nAONdxzI

Peter McKenna the next in my posts on Collingwood Chanpions.

Peter McKenna so often over looked in Collingwood discussions due to the greatness of Gordon Coventry and Dick Lee and in AFL discussions due to the fact he was pitted against other great Full Forwards like the great Peter Hudson. This means he didn't stand out like Coleman who had no great Full Forwards pitted against him.
Look at the incredible record of McKenna
- 874 career goals
- Averaged 4.58 goals a game.
- Leading Collingwood Goalkicker 8 times
- Twice Coleman medalist
- Copeland Trophy Winner
- Kicked the ton 3 times
- incredible season tallies of 143 goals, 134 goals and 130 goals.
- All Australian
- AFL Hall of Fame
- Kicked 16 goals in a game.
- Had 20 scoring shots in a game - 16.4
- Kicked 10 goals or more in a game 13 times.
- Kicked 5 goals or more in a game 86 times.
- Went 121 games straight kicking a goal (AFL Record) and truly amazing.

One of the greats of the game and so under rated. I proudly wore the number 6 on my back as a kid and proudly ran on the ground when he kicked a ton. What a site it was with Pricey and the Richo brothers storming out of the middle hitting McKenna on the chest and just knowing he was going to kick the goal. A really nice bloke as well. A true Champion of the AFL and Collingwood.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Came to my school when I had just arrived in OZ, he’s the reason my blood is black and white!
First To Twenty Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:20 am

My first Collingwood hero.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 am

In the first game of 1966, Peter McKenna kicked 12 goals 1. I was there that day. He was incredible, just couldn't miss. He then played another 4 games or so, didn't do well and got dropped. He spent the rest of the year in the Reserves where he did well, kicking 5 goals in the Reserves Grand Final, a match which we lost when some kid called Royce Hart kicked a goal from a long way out and we lost the Reserves flag by 5 points.

Later that day we played St Kilda in the VFL Grand Final. Forgive me for bringing this up but we lost that game by 1 point. Our full forward that day was Ian Graham, who struggled and who kicked 1 goal. Peter McKenna did very well in the Reserves and should have been put back into the firsts. If he'd been there on Grand Final day instead of in the Reserves, we probably would have won the 1966 Premiership.

Dumb stuff Collingwood. I won't get onto 1973 and what the club did with McKenna then. It's all too depressing.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:00 am

My very first Collingwood jumper as a young boy had his number 6 on the back. The first game I ever went to was Pies v Hawks at Glenferrie Oval, wearing that jumper. It was packed and the only way I could see was by spending the game sitting on my dad's shoulders. I have vivid memories of the crowd outside the ground watching the game whilst standing on the elevated train tracks then when an old red rattler approached it would toot its horn, stop, let the crowd scramble off the tracks then pass by. That process kept repeating throughout the game. Imagine that happening now. It would be front page news.

Not long after that I was in Sportsworld, a local sports store (no Rebel Sport in those days) with a friend and his father on a Saturday morning when Peter walked in. I went straight up to him and wished him good luck that afternoon. He shook my hand and we had a chat about footy. He has been no.1 on my list of all time favourites since then.

I was devastated when he went to Carlton.

Many years later I had a brief chat with Peter again. This time at a semi sad occasion, being the auction of various fittings and fixtures at Victoria Park when we were in the process of vacating. In a way it was fitting that I got to speak to my boyhood hero on the day that the club that I had grown up with became something else. I was saying goodbye to the place where those fantastic memories came from and I suppose that he was there for the same reason.
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Great post. First jumper (#6) first hero.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

I saw him kick those 16 goals against South Melbourne (I think?), but my greatest memory is the 13 goals he kicked against the Bombers at Victoria Park, which included an amazing 7 goals in the 3rd quarter. I doubt we'll ever see football as exciting as it was back then.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:31 pm

I drew a cartoon of Peter when I was a kid (copied from the Herald-Sun's cartoonist) and they showed it to Peter on the Saturday morning footy show back in the day. Pretty chuffed!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:21 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I saw him kick those 16 goals against South Melbourne (I think?), but my greatest memory is the 13 goals he kicked against the Bombers at Victoria Park, which included an amazing 7 goals in the 3rd quarter. I doubt we'll ever see football as exciting as it was back then.

Correct. Round 19 1969.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1969/041619690823.html

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:22 pm

I occasionally see him picking his grandson up from school (my daughter goes to the same school).

I’ve never approached him but he seems like a nice man.

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:03 pm

A football legend, my childhood hero too
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:19 pm

I went into the rooms before the game against South courtesy of jack Burns brother.Barry price gave me a footy and introduced me to all the players and Terry Waters asked me who I favourites were and I said McKenna, "How will he go son". Kick at least 10 and they laughed.After the game I went back in the rooms and Macca got me a pie and a drink. he played om John Sudholz and smashed him. Pricey kept putting the ball on his tit. I met him years later and worked with his sister and his daughter. Great bloke and if we could only get that shitstain off that the scum left him and McGuane with.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Macka was also my favorite player, had the number 6 on my hand knitted jumper.

Back in the day you could run on to ground at 1/4 time, 1/2 time etc.
I had the pleasure of catching up to him at a 1/4 time break to get an autograph only to have the great man pat me on the head and say, 'After the game sonny'. Couldn't get near him after the game. Went home shattered.

Fast forward to early 1990, bumped into him visiting someone opposite my parents house. I relayed that story to him and he gave me a beautiful autograph and we had a huge chat about our chances for the year. He mentioned something about Tony Francis and Scotty Russell being the missing link.

Such a humble man, but an absolute champ.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Back in the late 80s / 90s when Macca worked for Spicers paper for many years, I used to see a fair bit of him. Had a lot of coffees with him over the years.
Just a seriously genuine bloke who treated you as an equal and was always happy to hear a mere mortals thoughts on footy.
We all know how great a footballer he was but he was also a gentleman and ripper bloke off the field too.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:44 am

That was an era when Peter was there that reminded me of my early years

To see Bubba Price or the Richardson brothers deliver bullet like pass,s right into Peter,s midriff took me back to Thorrold Merrett doing same to Maurice “Mokka “ Dunsten in the fifties 😎

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: