Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:18 am
Post subject: The ChangeReply with quote

Clearly night turned into day for CFC in 2018, thoughts on the cause and wouldn't it be great to read the Report that seems to have started it all and how about some serious recognition for Peter Murphy.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, major credit to Peter Murphy. I gather he and Holgate may have pushed for the review (partic board oversight)

Major thrust of the review from what I am aware from discussions I have had with interested parties

- Walsh interviewed everyone and decided to retain Buckley (players in agreement to retain, despite Ed's gut feel to dump him) but Bucks told he must delegate more to his coaches and leave them to do their jobs. This was a big change with the feel of the place

- appoint new assistants
(Hocking has lightened up the place and he now tells stories for a dedicated period each week amongst other things)
(Longmuir appears the architect of a stronger team defence structure)
(Boyd working on development and recognised for his work ethic as a player)

- Ed subject to more governance. No more do it his way and tell board later like Gubby Allan decision. More accountability and rigour. First major process in that respect was doing a proper review of Bucks (Ed was angling for him to go) but Walsh was given the mandate to make sure that was the right direction. Second was the CEO appointment. Don't let Ed get Lethlean (another AFL wannabee) but appoint an experienced sports administrator (enter Mark Anderson) from outside the sport. We didn't really look at the 'fancied' names associated with other clubs at all (Liddle, Lethlean etc)

- Detailed review of all staff and turned a few over. Maxwell returns as new Head of Leadership and Culture

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 am

As above “The Change” got us to within 5 points of a premiership. We need to be careful how we act to bridge that 5 point gap next year because Adelaide serves as a good example this year of what can go wrong if you change too much.

What we go right this year that we shouldn’t change is a sound admin, good coaching group and training facilities as good as any in the AFL.

What I believe the club is doing by way of change is a bit of tinkering with the playing list to get a bit more aerial strength, a bit more run and carry off the half back line and a bit more cleanliness through the midfield.

The other area is medical which involves a bit of luck. Getting your best 22 onto the field on grand final day is a challenge.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:19 pm
Post subject: Re: The ChangeReply with quote

John LEWIN wrote:
... wouldn't it be great to read the Report that seems to have started it all and how about some serious recognition for Peter Murphy.

Peter Murphy will be joining the Board after he's ratified at the AGM (so we were told at the Copeland night). I'm wondering what the impetus for that move was. Succession planning? Or the opposite? Or neither?

The most significant part of PM's review that remains unfulfilled and unspoken of is the recommendation of term limits. This issue should not be allowed to be swept under the rug. Given that all the off-field players will be there at the AGM, I think some serious questions should be raised then.
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Great to get these insights, thanks to both, I understand PM is a very successful business man, this demonstration of competence in strategy, management and organisational development shows why. Let's hope we not only profit from the experience but learn the lessons by reflecting on the whole process and the decision making.Great organisations no how to draw on expertise and talent from various fields. In this case external expertise at a senior level in management of organisations which is not from the habitual vertical model of footballer becomes manager.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:41 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
As above “The Change” got us to within 5 points of a premiership. We need to be careful how we act to bridge that 5 point gap next year because Adelaide serves as a good example this year of what can go wrong if you change too much.

I think we should definitely resist any temptation to have collective Minds run a pre season camp for our boys.

Wink

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Have no idea what review said apart from what others have posted here, but whatever changed from last year to this year, it changed for the better.

I would love to see the contents of the review and read it for myself.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:07 pm

I seriously doubt Ed was ever gunna dump Bucks
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 am

Walsh
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am

Damien wrote:
I seriously doubt Ed was ever gunna dump Bucks

+1

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am

Getting the lead singer of Bauhaus to review the club was the best thing to ever happen.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:26 pm

Talent growth in Grundy, De Goey, Stephenson, Scharenberg (while available), Adams, Phillips and Cox and WHE. These, plus Sidebottom’s next level, offset the small decline in pendlebury and the loss of Elliot and Reid (when available in 2017).

It takes time to rebuild a list. We started in 2013 and after a few false starts the core talent list was a lot better and ready to cohere by 2017. Patience and a long term view equals success. Short termism, coach-sacking and pandering to an entitled fan base equals Carlton. Fortunately our President has more patience than many of our supporters and he and his board did not pander to them.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:41 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:

Hope we don't have a camp where the West Coast Eagles theme song is blasted through the audio system 24/7

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:58 pm

While I think there were plenty of coaching successes the Mayne turnaround fascinates me, it may have been analysed elsewhere but it would be good to read observations on how/why that was possible.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Buckley might have won coach of the year but Murphy was the one who kick started it all as he had the courage to confront Ed on how the club was being operated and challenged him to review it from top to bottom.

The result being we got a new CEO, no captains call on his replacement, new high performance manager, expanded assistant coaching panel, role created for Maxwell, more delegation of responsibilities to assistant coaches.

As further evidenced by comments made by Maynard Longmuir transformed our defensive structure, made it function the best it has under Buckley even in spite of a mounting injury toll.

Longmuir was seen as a major part of the West Coast web in 2015 which helped compel them to a GF and he alongside Caracella must be next in line for senior coaching positions.

I hope we can hold on to him for at least a couple more years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: