Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Numbing numbers for numpties: Article by G Baum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:49 pm
Post subject: Numbing numbers for numpties: Article by G BaumReply with quote

Good article on numbers albeit way too short with a reference to the Pies by the wonderful Greg Baum

Numbing numbers for numpties

Soon after a Red Sox outfielder had gloved a quite nice rolling catch in the World Series this week, a commentator told us he had been a 17 per cent chance to take it. It jarred like a mishit. Three thoughts leapt nimbly to mind. One was: bullshit. He had a mitt; all he had to do was get to it to take it. The next was: how do you make a calculation like that anyway? The third was: why?......

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/numbing-numbers-for-numpties-20181026-p50c7a.html

K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

"Three thoughts leapt nimbly to mind":
1. When did Fairfax start printing "bullsh**" uncensored? (A. Probably a long, long time ago.)
2. When did Baum start putting words like "bullsh**" and "f***" (okay, it's not that f-word) in his articles? (Could this be the first time?)
3. Is he serious when he writes: "There is even a figure on my screen for how probable it is that you read to the end of this column"?

This is not one of Baum's better efforts.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:30 am

Were all entitled to our opinions.

I quite liked what he had to say. The primacy of stats can lead to a dimunition of enjoyment and the bleeding obvious. I particularly liked the reference to Gerard Whatelys comments about the delisting of Menzel.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:58 am

I like the sentiment of it.
By contrast Mark Robinson lamely quoting pressure scores all of the time.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:13 am

watt price tully wrote:

I think he could have argued his case far more cogently.
e.g. talk of "ScoMo" is utterly irrelevant and confused.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:21 am

I thought the article was a good one. Too often we create arguments out of statistics. You need to trust your gut feel. The Sheed goal was a killer. The next play had to be down our end. It wasnt. That was enough to say we were gone. Menzel is an interesting one because he averages a couple of goals a game which is crucial in a low scoring game. However the Geelong forward line doesnt function with Menzel in it when the opposition apply defensive pressure.

I remember a VFL game at the quarter time huddle when the coach (current Collingwood assistant coach) had a go at a certain player for a substandard game. The player wanted to argue that his game had been ok. The coach grabbed the stat sheet to point out what the player was doing wrong. The stat sheet doesnt lie but you need to be careful the way you use it. Its mainly for the professionals, not amateurs like us.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Another example:

"There probably was a figure attached to Sheed's kick, and a graphic..."

"Probably", Greg?? Was there or wasn't there? (I haven't seen the broadcaster or media raise such a figure or graphic.) Otherwise, you are just inventing something that may not exist for the sake of criticizing it. Sloppy writing.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Another great article from Greg Baum, far and away this country's best sports writer.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:23 pm

K wrote:
Another example:

"Probably", Greg?? Was there or wasn't there? (I haven't seen the broadcaster or media raise such a figure or graphic.) Otherwise, you are just inventing something that may not exist for the sake of criticizing it. Sloppy writing.

K take a chill pill. Perhaps you can provide a statistical and quantitative analysis of Baums article?

No-one is saying this was Shakespeare: you'll miss the woods for the trees.

Relax and enjoy it Razz Wink

K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:51 pm

watt price tully wrote:
K take a chill pill.[1] Perhaps you can provide a statistical and quantitative analysis of Baums article?[2]

[1] I am still recovering from GF trauma. I believe Scotch whiskey is more effective than a pill.

[2] Just to annoy him? I'd have to send it to him, then; I assume he's not a Nickster (or else he would have been safe, as part of a protected species).

I actually have wondered if he's lost the plot. I don't recall him writing like this 10 or 15 years ago. Maybe, he was more heavily edited in the past.

I already gave him the benefit of the doubt when I saw this article was filed under "baseball". It contains essentially no baseball, and if Greg knows anything about baseball he has chosen not to reveal it to us. I assume for his sake he was not actually asked to write a baseball article, but instead allowed to rant about anything.

Maybe Baum was bothered by an article his own newspaper ran (from WaPo) a few days before his:

Red Sox need to fix one key stat to beat Dodgers in World Series

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/red-sox-need-to-fix-one-key-stat-to-beat-dodgers-in-world-series-20181023-p50bbf.html

If I were writing about the Sox, of course, I would write about The Curse.

Last edited by K on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:56 pm

watt price tully wrote:

I quite liked what he had to say. The primacy of stats can lead to a dimunition of enjoyment and the bleeding obvious. I particularly liked the reference to Gerard Whatelys comments about the delisting of Menzel.

I liked it.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:06 pm

The Curse, in Baumian lingo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujwjqIldwU
88MPH 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:06 pm

A very shallow and confused piece by a journo who himself far too often falls into characterising sport as being something other than a physical pursuit.

As for the ScoMo reference, well, that just added to the incongruity.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:47 pm

K wrote:
Another example:

Well I can tell you for a fact that there was a figure attached to Maynard when he attempted to get to the contest to spoil....

E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:21 pm
Post subject: Re: Numbing numbers for numpties: Article by G BaumReply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Good article on numbers albeit way too short with a reference to the Pies by the wonderful Greg Baum

Numbing numbers for numpties

Soon after a Red Sox outfielder had gloved a quite nice rolling catch in the World Series this week, a commentator told us he had been a 17 per cent chance to take it. It jarred like a mishit. Three thoughts leapt nimbly to mind. One was: bullshit. He had a mitt; all he had to do was get to it to take it. The next was: how do you make a calculation like that anyway? The third was: why?......

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/numbing-numbers-for-numpties-20181026-p50c7a.html

because if you see that a player consistently makes plays that statistically very few people can make, it might be the best way to judge a player's fielding ability. Errors are a useless stat because of the way the stat works.

Just because people dont understand advanced analytics, doesnt mean they aren't useful. Red Sox just built one of the most dominant teams in history and none of the players in their lineup were household names until they were all assembled in Bean Town.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: