Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grahame “Gubby “Allen to the Saints

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayel 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Parker wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
and also harassed female staff at the club

I wasn't aware of this. Could you please elaborate if you can? Confused

Just my understanding. Don't have specifics. Didn't request them.

Evil or Very Mad So keyboard warrior crap. Give it a miss mate. Let's just look forward... Cool

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BazBoy wrote:
No more deserving bunch of lo lives have Grubby—do I harbour a long time grudge against them—the answer is yes

Not as long as my butt points to the ground will I forgive them for that day in

You & me both! I only saw JG play once, I was about 8, but I remember thinking he must have a twin playing, he seemed to be everywhere. I can't even imagine what it would've been like that fortnight where he managed 91 touches, 10 Goals, & 28 marks in TWO amazing games. This was gonna change the game, the kid was just 21 years old. He could've done anything. In a couple more years he coulda been racking up 40-50 possessions most weeks. As it was he was about 7th in the Brownlow, ahead of guys like Dempsey & Jezza. Everyone above him played 20 or more to his 14, in a side with the eventual winner, the great Len Thompson. & In those 2 games Collingwood scored over 300 points, & McKenna kicked 17.

Imagine it, he would've been hitting his prime when we played 5 GFs in 5 years for zero wins, surely the 3 close ones would've been different? But that lousy motherfu*ker O'Dea saved us the trouble of thinking about it

And he didn't have the kind of talent around him he'd have today. Back then it was 4-5 stars & a lot of "worker bees". He did have our best goal kicker & our equal best ruck in McKenna & Thommo, but apart from that we had Tuddy, the Richardsons, Wearmouth & Price, who were greats, Waters & Potter who had been great, & then guys like Al Atkinson, Twiggy, & Bob Heard, (these last 2 weighed about 45 kegs between them); guys who were great at times, but never consistent. That semi against StK might've turned out differently with JG playing, given we'd had a win & a loss in the H & A games

Oh well. If my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle...

But one thing I always noticed about him was the way he ran. He had the low centre of gravity common to many greats like Daics, Swanny & Leigh Matthews, but he also ran (around the ball) with his back bent so his head was right over the pill, probably too dangerous today, but he didn't need 5 tries to pick up a ball as modern players do. So many basic skills are a joke in the modern game, Just look at Pendles, (who quite reminds me of the great JG at times), he stands out like a beacon simply because he HAS these skills such as picking it up, anticipating the bounce, handball, bouncing, short passing etc. If he could do the stab pass he'd have 4 Brownlows.

But I won't go into how ridiculous the loss of the stab is in the modern game!

Or will I...

No, promise.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: