Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Daniel Menzel.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern footy trends counted against talented Menzel

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/modern-footy-trends-counted-against-talented-menzel-20181025-p50c0o.html
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:02 am

Not needed. I feel sorry for him though, the poor bloke could've been anything. I remember his 1st game against us, thinking, geezus, where'd they pluck this freaky kid from? It was in that infamous last round of 2011 and I think he kicked 5 or 6. Did his 1st knee a week or two later against the hawks after kicking a few early and tragically missed out on the flag.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:07 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
mudlark wrote:
I realise he has had 3 knee recos...

I think it’s 4

melliot wrote:
Apparently 5 or so clubs are interested.

...according to his manager. The media has it that Blues, Saints and GCs have already passed on him. So including the Cats that’s 4 teams that don’t want him

Seems like 4 might be his unlucky number

"""MENZEL'S CAREER, OBVIOUSLY, HAS BEEN STYMIED BY THE FOUR KNEE RECONSTRUCTIONS HE SUFFERED AND OVERCAME DURING HIS TIME WITH GEELONG"

"I stand corrected.That's a lot of reco's!!!
Stinger 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:03 am

^^could be a training partner for the Berg^^
themonk 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:18 am

No way we’d be interested in a small non tackling forward, if anything Townsend may be of interest.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Stinger wrote:
^^could be a training partner for the Berg^^

OUCH!!!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 pm

^ Well, it's an important role. In addition to jogging occasional laps (knees and groins permitting), the incumbent also gets selected in every Nick's "My best 22, round 1". If we get Menzel and he isn't fit, we can start the year with a bad result but still look forward to having Wells, Schazza, Reid, Dunn, Elliott and Menzel "back in the team soon". That's 6 A-graders when fit, right there. All of them "walk-up starts as soon as they're available".

And, as an added bonus, if he doesn't get on the park at all when it matters, Menzel still gets in the "oh, what might have been" threads - "if only we didn't have 6 genuine A-graders miss the entire season with injury". Wink
mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Well, it's an important role. In addition to jogging occasional laps (knees and groins permitting), the incumbent also gets selected in every Nick's "My best 22, round 1". If we get Menzel and he isn't fit, we can start the year with a bad result but still look forward to having Wells, Schazza, Reid, Dunn, Elliott and Menzel "back in the team soon". That's 6 A-graders when fit, right there. All of them "walk-up starts as soon as they're available".

And, as an added bonus, if he doesn't get on the park at all when it matters, Menzel still gets in the "oh, what might have been" threads - "if only we didn't have 6 genuine A-graders miss the entire season with injury". Wink

Laughing
Very good.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:01 pm

Simply isn't able to play the modern game. It's why the Cats tried to trade him last year and have now cut him. Similar to Fas, though even worse defensively.

Only worth having as a backup as Fas was this year, but probably not worth bringing in when you add his injury history.

agerada@tpg.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm new here and this is my first post - But many of us would have said the same thing with Travis Varcoe before we joined, us and since he has he has become a tackling machine - and if we were to pick up danel manzel another x factor in our forward line - he may be the missing piece we need to go one step further in 2019 - danel manzel is a talented football and would be an awesome addition to our team -- what do you guys think.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 pm

His goalscoring stats is what makes him appealing to people, but his lack of forward pressure is why he wouldn't suit us. Without being able to run both ways, it will be increasingly difficult for him to remain in the competition. The same can be said for Fasolo, which the club put little resistance up in keeping when Carlton came calling.

I watched Menzel against Melbourne in the elimination final and he was barely applying any pressure on the Melbourne defenders. Geelong aren't a great forward pressure team as it is, but he stood out like a sore thumb.

Feel sorry for him as he was an excellent talent and showed plenty of potential in 2011 before he succumbed to repetitive knee injuries.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:28 pm

^^ welcome agerada or shall we playfully dub you agates?

Anyhow, Varcoe has a ton of leg speed. Menzel is a very capable goal kicker, and I think could play a role accordingly, but I suspect the club would be conscious of drafting a Fasolo-type (but better) player. Menzel doesn't have Varcoe-style speed and is not a crumbing forward either, which would fit our needs more. With WHE, De Goey, Stephenson as fast, goal scoring mid-sized forwards already and the addition of Beams (who also hits the scoreboard), I don't think Menzel would be a priority. A lower club-ranked should definitely have a lash at him. Clubs who can't score goals, would definitely extract more value from him.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 pm

I wouldn't take Menzel as a forward - as others have pointed out he isn't suited to our game plan cause he doesn't put enough forward pressure on. BUT I would take him - if cheap - and try to turn him into a HBF er. If he can get some tank in him, he could be a weapon off the HBF (skills excellent, not the quickest but we great closing speed and good awareness). If not, he's wasted, so I think where our list is at I'd pass. BUT if I were Steve Silvagni (apart for wanting to wash in industrial grade disinfectant every time I left work and being triple vaccinated) or whoever is next in charge of GCS list, I'd take a ping at him off the HBF.

And if this ever comes true, someone will have to find this post for me Razz

- Ben
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:37 pm

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Daniel_Menzel.html

I don't know if we'll look at any disregarded players, even though I just started a thread on Townsend.

How many spots are left?

I guess the delisted players of note are:
Melzel
Townsend (Linked to Swans)
Mullett
Goddard (Both of them Shocked )
Sherridan (Linked to Swans)
Barlow (Expected to go back to Werribee)
Hartung (Again??)
Hibberd
Freeman (Not for us)
Neade (Linked to Collingwood)

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:31 am

Doing a medical at Sydney: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-01/discarded-cat-dan-menzel-set-for-swans-medical
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: