Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mumford and Murray

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
No, in the US they're merely thrown into prison for decades.

where would you like these aussies to go? got room at your place?
https://au.news.yahoo.com/police-seize-100000-drugs-headed-gold-coast-ahead-schoolies-015642525.html

I don’t have room for Pope Francis at my place, but that’s not really the point, is it? I believe that these people, like everyone else, should receive a fair trial and, if convicted, get an appropriate sentence that takes into account intent, outcome and effective rehabilitation. And of course I believe that the AFL and ASADA should follow the same principles when it comes to players taking drugs.

I’m not calling for lenience or some kind of libertarian free-for-all, I’m just calling for fairness and proportionality. I don’t get why that’s being characterised as a radical or self-righteous position.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm

David, I think you should wait for the Pope's B-sample results before smearing his name in this forum.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 am

I'll have what he's having...
K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNEX0fbGePg
E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:28 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
No, in the US they're merely thrown into prison for decades.

where would you like these aussies to go? got room at your place?
https://au.news.yahoo.com/police-seize-100000-drugs-headed-gold-coast-ahead-schoolies-015642525.html

I don’t have room for Pope Francis at my place, but that’s not really the point, is it? I believe that these people, like everyone else, should receive a fair trial and, if convicted, get an appropriate sentence that takes into account intent, outcome and effective rehabilitation. And of course I believe that the AFL and ASADA should follow the same principles when it comes to players taking drugs.

I’m not calling for lenience or some kind of libertarian free-for-all, I’m just calling for fairness and proportionality. I don’t get why that’s being characterised as a radical or self-righteous position.

Dude, they aren't going to jail. They are just being told that since you cheated, you cant play football. Without these strict rules, people would cheat all the time. Even with these stiff rules, people cheat ALL THE TIME!!!

Everyone would get off. Everyone would have a story.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:48 pm

^ Murray didn't cheat, though, and nor (it seems) did he have any intention of doing so. I really must insist on that point. From the facts we've been given, the traces of cocaine in his system could not have advantaged him in any way, because he had (from what we've been able to glean) not been under the influence for some time.

Please try to keep up with the analogies here. The AFL or ASADA are not authorities that have the capacity to imprison people, and they do not deal with 'crimes' that would warrant imprisonment. The most severe penalty that they can place on a competitor is to end their career, which looks like what may end up happening to Murray. The onus is on you and people who support your view to explain why you think sporting bodies should operate according to fundamentally different (i.e. much less proportional and more draconian) principles than the criminal justice system.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:11 pm

He tested positive to a substance on the ASADA banned list.

Intent to cheat doesn’t matter. Cocaine can be performance enhancing so players are not allowed to have it in their system

npalm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 pm

I agree, David, that the penalty that will (probably) be handed down to Murray is excessive and disproportionate. But it needs to be disproportionate to provide a big enough deterrent to protect the sport.

For me, the rampant drug cheating in athletics, cycling etc has grossly devalued the Olympics. You can't look at a gold medal winner without thinking that they are almost certainly on the gear.

I'd hate to see the AFL's reputation fall so low.
If the cost to maintain the AFL reputation is the careers of a few unfortunates like Murray then so be it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: