Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

OMG, I'm offended thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It says primary school, you think they need or understand this in primary school?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Well, yes? I presume you support sex education in primary school, right?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

David wrote:
Disagree. Many schools have one or more transgender students, and children need to learn to interact with each other now, not when they're in university. As I said, there are better and worse ways of handling that, but as neither of us have actually attended the classes or know the precise wording of the lessons (what's quoted in the article is a council directive to the school, not what teachers are actually going to be saying in class), I'm going to lean towards the presumption that they've thought carefully about this and know what they're doing.

It's tricky wording though, because you don't want biological boys thinking they can have periods.

Teaching it in primary school is OK as long as it's later on, grade 5 or 6. In my mind you'd need to first introduce the concept of transgender in the same way you'd establish gay and lesbian as different versions of normal. I'm not sure it's actually necessary to do the "boys can have periods" bit, as the transgender kids should be fully aware and, barring an accident, no one should know when it's happening anyway.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:38 pm

All this bs about boys having periods. Onve again South Park is in front of the pack.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:03 am

David wrote:
Well, yes? I presume you support sex education in primary school, right?

Not to that level, no I don’t. The very basics.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:37 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Disagree. Many schools have one or more transgender students, and children need to learn to interact with each other now, not when they're in university. As I said, there are better and worse ways of handling that, but as neither of us have actually attended the classes or know the precise wording of the lessons (what's quoted in the article is a council directive to the school, not what teachers are actually going to be saying in class), I'm going to lean towards the presumption that they've thought carefully about this and know what they're doing.

It's tricky wording though, because you don't want biological boys thinking they can have periods.

Teaching it in primary school is OK as long as it's later on, grade 5 or 6. In my mind you'd need to first introduce the concept of transgender in the same way you'd establish gay and lesbian as different versions of normal. I'm not sure it's actually necessary to do the "boys can have periods" bit, as the transgender kids should be fully aware and, barring an accident, no one should know when it's happening anyway.

I agree with that, mostly – if that distinction isn’t being made sufficiently clear, then I do think political correctness is being put ahead of learning. But I would be very surprised if that’s the case. And yeah, I think Grade 5 or 6 is probably about right. 10, 11, 12 year-old kids are smart enough to understand this stuff – and in any case, they don’t live in a bubble, so it’s implausible that they wouldn’t already have a basic understanding that transgender people exist and what the condition entails.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Now people are up in (tuckshop lady) arms over a clothing manufacturer charging more for "plus size" sleep wear.

Quote:
Sleepwear brand Peter Alexander has defended charging more for plus size garments, despite being labelled ‘fat-phobic’ and accused of discrimination.

The Australian label was labelled ‘fat-phobic’ and accused of discrimination after demanding plus size customers pay more for the same item of clothing than standard size customers.

Really?

But the manufacturer hits back.

Quote:
In a statement, Peter Alexander said: “To ensure comfort and that the fit is right, we utilise a different pattern to our regular collection while still maintaining a beautiful garment”.

“It is these different patterns, along with the size of the production run and to a lesser extent fabric consumption, that impacts the price of the styles.

“We try and limit this as much as possible, and as the category and production grows, we hope to achieve parity across our collections.”

Makes sense to me. Prices are cheaper the more you buy and there's still less "plus size" people than others.

Plus the fabric, you could make two size 10 nighties out of the amount of fabric you'd need to make one XXXL.

Maybe instead of sooking that an already over priced article of clothing is more expensive for obese people, do something about dropping some weight.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/fatphobic-aussie-brand-peter-alexander-is-charging-more-for-plus-size-garments/news-story/a42c48076acd815beceaa445746f8081

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

I get the frustration – obese people are already on average poorer, so having to pay more for clothes probably feels like an additional tax. And surely we all know by now that it's never as easy as just "dropping some weight". It makes sense that more fabric equals a higher production cost, but it's interesting that that logic doesn't usually seem to apply for different adult clothing sizes. It seems like the main problem here is that a lot of fashion brands design their clothes for thin people so that they'll look good on tiny models on runways, and the significant number of overweight customers end up being an afterthought.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:28 pm

No one said it was easy, but I can think of 4 ex Nicksters off the top of my head who all had gastric band surgery to do something about their weight. Not out of vanity but for health.

Proto Dave has dropped near 100kg and interestingly only realised after the surgery that his problem had been diet all along. He ate too much crap.

The average overweight person doesn't need to do something as drastic as that, but something as simple as seeing a GP or a dietitian, keeping a food diary and being more physically active can all help.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:00 pm

More faux outrage, reportedly by an Australian over a non Australian racial reference Rolling Eyes

http://www.ladbible.com/news/food-mum-shocked-to-find-racist-toy-inside-kinder-egg-20190113

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Quote:
It raises questions as to what the company supports and if this is subliminal marketing.

Laughing

Yep – five minutes with that toy and the kid won’t be able to keep their right arm down. Letters are magical that way!

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
More faux outrage, reportedly by an Australian over a non Australian racial reference Rolling Eyes

http://www.ladbible.com/news/food-mum-shocked-to-find-racist-toy-inside-kinder-egg-20190113

kkk could mean killer karl kox. what sort of irresponsible parent gives a 15 month old baby a choke size toy associated with a sugar laden sweet. i doubt the baby has the genetic nous to be able to research the meaning of kkk , certainly not at a library, which would be a foreign notion to the parent.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Ran into this video, Australia's own Sir les patterson in concert.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=264&v=Ti-QmwvN_gM

This would fly like a wrought iron hanglider these days.

And I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 pm

One complaint is backlash these days:

http://www.ladbible.com/news/sport-jd-sports-removes-sexist-scotland-football-kit-advert-following-back-20190208

And more claims of racist fashion items:

https://qz.com/quartzy/1545010/this-week-in-apologies-guccis-blackface-jumper-and-adidass-black-history-month-shoe/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:44 pm

I’d point to that first one as an actual positive example of this phenomenon. Anyone who’s ever looked at a billboard, magazine cover or TV ad knows that women and men are practically always portrayed in a limited and stereotypical fashion, and these tropes are so pervasive that most advertisers probably don’t even realise they’re doing it. If this guy’s politely written and well-explained complaint made them stop and think for a moment – “why are we sexualising the woman in this ad for no reason?” – and will have some impact on the images they run in future, then that just sounds like progress to me. No censorship, hysteria or boycotts required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: