Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade period summary

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it easy. It seemed like an accident.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:07 am

Time will tell —old say “You have to speculate to accumulate “

Silverware that is

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:12 am

I’d be pissed if we don’t dominate Centre clearances next year with our midfield and the 6-6-6 rule.
mabo 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:39 am

I still am of the opinion that this was a mistake and that we've paid overs for a player who will be 29 y/o at the start of the season and has a history of soft tissue injuries and who has only played a full season twice in his ten years of AFL footy - Wells 2.0.

However, I'm consoling myself by trying to look at both the Beams exit/return trades as a whole as we look like we come out ahead that way.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am

How I see things on balance

We were close to winning a premiership this year. We have a real window in the next 2 seasons.
We did so this year without several of our stars for much of the season.

Plus side
We have retained our stars - Moore, Elliott, Dunn (Shaz) and can inject them in to our side from the GF, next season. Retained Langdon too
We have added a star mid in Beams and some depth in key positions (Roughead)
We will likely add some future talent in Quaynor (would likely have used pick 18 on him) and Kelly & the Irish boys.

Foregone

We have foregone a potential future star in 2019 with our first pick, but he'd have taken time to mature most likely.
Good as Grundy, as an example of a late first round pick that has excelled, even he wasn't offering a great deal in his first 2 seasons, when our window is clearly open.
We have only lost Fasolo and will delist some other players of our own accord.
We have no major losses.

Of our major opponents in this trade period

Richmond had added Lynch, but conceded a lot of their depth (Conca, Miles, Ellis, Lloyd). They had few unavailable in the prelim to add in.
WCE have missed on Tim Kelly, that helps and lost Lycett. Naitanui and Gaff can strengthen them.
Hawks are not so close to us I don't think. Gain Wingard, lose Burton and Scully may not be much help next season
Giants have lost Shiel, Lobb, Scully which weakens them
Dees add May and lose Hogan

We've lost no-one we weren't happy to. We've added a top-class midfielder, we will have a bit for the future. We have a few key players to return.
We have an improved culture.
We are enough.

Floreat Pica

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 am

We've paid overs for Beams imo. A 29 year old, A grade mid, that can have long stints injured. It doesn't satisfy a real need, and paid heavily for it. Hopefully we maximize the advantage on field to make it worthwhile.qq

Understand that we are going for broke. But got some reservations about it.

In assessing the 2018 outcomes, need to factor in that with a likely deficit in draft points from 2018 going into 2019 and our 1st rd traded out, that we basically have no draft pick power in 2019. We'll start 2019 in the 3rd round.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 am

And that must be our motto “Side by Side We are Enough “
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 am

Unless I'm mistaken, if we had kept our pick 18, we would most likely have had to use it to draft Quainor, whereas now we can get him with our 2nd pick. So effectively, we have really only given up pick 18 or thereabouts in 2019. That seems like a fantastic deal in my book.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:34 am

^ No, Rudey, the 18 pick is worth quite a lot more points than the 2nd and 3rd picks combined. If e.g. a bid came for IQ at pick 15, that would roughly be covered by pick 18 on its own after the 20% discount. Now, the bleeding would go beyond the 2nd and 3rd picks.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:57 am

Okay, I hope these are the right pick numbers...

The Pies' Beams invoice:

2x (pretend) pick 18: 2 x 985 = 1970
+ pick 56: 194
- pick 41: (412)
- pick 44: (362)
------------------
Total paid: 1390

For comparison: pick 10 is 1395.

Conclusion:
As long as we make the 2019 GF, we have sort of paid the equivalent of pick 10 for Beams.

If we had this year's pick 10, would you have been happy to trade it for Beams?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 pm

^ ^^
With live trading, we can probably turn pick 56 (fasolo comp) into a pick for points (say 58?) to make it more valuable for the purposes for which we need it?

Throw in the picks in the 40's and the discounts and we'll be pretty close.

Next year we'll definitely have a slim hand at the draft (unless someone of value leaves) and may have to target a Free Agent.

More than one way to skin a cat.

I am not convinced that Quaynor bids come that early. Twomey gets seduced by the prospect that they are guaranteed to get picked up I think and overrates them. He didn't have a strong finish to the season and didn't make the TAC Team of the Year. There are also a bunch of South Australians who will rate ahead of him this year. They won the Carnival easily and have done well at SANFL level. Adelaide and Port will be focussed on picking them up with their picks before 18 you'd imagine.

Christian Doerre (Knightmare) who does a mock draft for Fox Sports doesn't have Quaynor in his top 25 and he is a mad Pies supporter.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm

K wrote:
Okay, I hope these are the right pick numbers...

The Pies' Beams invoice:

2x (pretend) pick 18: 2 x 985 = 1970
+ pick 56: 194
- pick 41: (412)
- pick 44: (362)
------------------
Total paid: 1390

For comparison: pick 10 is 1395.

Conclusion:
As long as we make the 2019 GF, we have sort of paid the equivalent of pick 10 for Beams.

If we had this year's pick 10, would you have been happy to trade it for Beams?

I would certainly have traded 2013's pick 10 for him without blinking.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, if we had kept our pick 18, we would most likely have had to use it to draft Quainor, whereas now we can get him with our 2nd pick. So effectively, we have really only given up pick 18 or thereabouts in 2019. That seems like a fantastic deal in my book.

Not at all. My “ preference “ was to go to the draft with a pick that would come in before Quaynors name was read out.
Simply by trading down our # pick 18 by offering up a future pick ( likely first ) and then receive more points back in 2018 to secure Q and K.
I was concerned about an aging mid field and I preferred to go with a likely 10 year mid ( possibly Stocker or Caldwell at 14 / 15 ) and then still pick up Q and K.
There were two options open to Collingwood ( well three if you include doing nothing in trading )
One strategy is to bank on maximising the now ( totally justified if we win a flag with Beams in it )
The other strategy was to set us up for long term sustained success and hope that a flag looks after itself along the way.

Time will tell but my opinion is that Hine would have nailed a beauty with a first round pick before Quaynor in this draft.
The club would have considered both strategies long and hard and I’m happy to bow to their better judgement ...... unless Beams doesn’t play in another premiership with us.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:49 pm

^ P16, would you take someone likely available at pick 10 instead of Beams, or would you trade pick 10 (on its own, if you had it) for Beams?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:28 pm

K wrote:
^ P16, would you take someone likely available at pick 10 instead of Beams, or would you trade pick 10 (on its own, if you had it) for Beams?

If we had pick 10 in this draft ( and we still secure Q and K ) and the trade in total was Beams for # 10, I would pick Beams. You couldn’t knock back Beams for pick 10 only.
As the actual trade eventuated, we have given up two late first rounders and got points back.
This means we have now become very “ speculative “ in the 2019 draft, albeit we may yet trade out a quality player in 2019 to improve our draft hand.

Again, I can’t say enough that the club obviously know more than I do but I would hope they thought long and hard before deciding not to participate in the pointy end of two consecutive drafts for a 29 year old ( next season )
I accept that Quaynor comes as a bargain but we could have also picked up an 18 year old quality mid in the same draft as well.
Beams is an A grader, so I’m certainly not bitter and twisted but I just can’t help but think Hine could have nailed a ripper in this draft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: