Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a hypothetical question.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:26 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
35forever wrote:
Oh what a lot of twaddle! How DARE anyone suggest Beamer isn't an A-Grader! He is not only one of the top ten players in the game he was a goal-kicking mid, something we are seriously going to miss in 2015. And we certainly would've been paying him something like 800K next year, that's simply the going rate for elite mids. Bloody history revisionists, what a bunch of unmitigated hypocrites! I never read word 1 bagging Beamer until post-season this year, he was one of the very few Magpies who didn't seem to get slandered here much. As for Daisy & Heater, how short your memories are! For a start heater was DUMPED. He wanted to stay and promised to amend his behaviour but Buckley wanted the 'Rat pack' gone and he got his wish. The club said it was 'mutual' and Heater immediately denied that publicly. If Swan was a couple of years younger we would have lost him too. Daisy was in exactly the same position, he wanted to stay but Buckley wouldn't cop someone twice as popular as himself and made sure he went. If Collingwood had given him an offer anything like his worth he would've signed before the FA period started, he was dying to do so and end the speculation. Instead he was offered peanuts when he was one of the best players in the game. Leigh Matthews called him "arguably the best there is" in 2011 when there seemed to be two of him most games. That was the year he added an extreme work rate to his amazing skills, and right up to his last game for us last year his ability to read the game and find space was unparalleled. Clearly most of you have forgotten, but if you doubt me go watch his last full game against StKilda last year, go watch any final he played in. To judge him on his output at Carlton, where he obviously doesn't want to be, is ridiculous (but take a closer look at his games there, he was far from their worst). If he'd played for us in 2014 it would have been very different. He was the best reader of Pendles and Swan I ever saw. Just accept that you don't know the details of his departure and judge him on his football.

Then we have Maxy & Ball, among others, who left Collingwood because they knew they would keep getting injured under Buckley, like most of the side, but when you've passed 30 it gets harder to continue. Why do you think Ball said he'd play on at another club if the right offer came? If you Blind folks can't get it through your skulls that 3 straight years of injuries doesn't just 'happen', there is little hope for the future. By the time next years NAB ...'thing' is over we'll have one or two more injured players, will you STILL be bemoaning poor old Buckley's bad luck? Probably. And when you compare him to Bomber Thompson and Alistair Clarkson, who also took several years to get their clubs into contention, try to remember that they were given Dud clubs, Buckley was handed the reigning back-to-back Minor Premiers who everyone expected to go even better in 2012. We were outright flag favourites, and even the following year it was us or Hawthorn. This crap about us being 'in development' is just an excuse, as is the rubbish about accepting 'Short term pain'. That's just a free pass for Buckley! He can't lose! If we finish 14th it's "all part of the long term plan", if we make finals he's a hero! The guy can't lose simply because a small group (which unfortunately includes the President) simply won't face the fact that he can't coach. How many times have I asked for examples of the great coaching? How many times have the Blind Brigade changed the subject to me and my evil treachery??? As they'll do again. The fact is that the most common view among Magpie fans is a 'wait and see'. They'll give Buckley another year to see what he can do without injuries. The smaller groups are people like me who want him replaced while there's a replacement available, and the BB, who think he's been the best thing to happen to Collingwood since Jock McHale. Yes, these two groups make more noise than the much larger one, but I guess that's because we care more.

One of us however is behaving like the Cairo surf lifesavers club

"Here Here", fine ole chappy.
Eloquently stated and worth every word.

The Daisy stuff - pure gold Mr 35!

Others have the consistency of Yellow Jelly - wobble wobble.

Beams rarely, if ever, fired in the heat of big Finals, and that's what really makes a real champion, ala wayne carey, or steve kernahan, gary ablett senior, etc. He was simply not great in Finals, when it really counted. Sorry t burst your Beamer Bubble, but that's fact. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:40 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
35forever wrote:
Oh what a lot of twaddle! How DARE anyone suggest Beamer isn't an A-Grader! He is not only one of the top ten players in the game he was a goal-kicking mid, something we are seriously going to miss in 2015. And we certainly would've been paying him something like 800K next year, that's simply the going rate for elite mids. Bloody history revisionists, what a bunch of unmitigated hypocrites! I never read word 1 bagging Beamer until post-season this year, he was one of the very few Magpies who didn't seem to get slandered here much. As for Daisy & Heater, how short your memories are! For a start heater was DUMPED. He wanted to stay and promised to amend his behaviour but Buckley wanted the 'Rat pack' gone and he got his wish. The club said it was 'mutual' and Heater immediately denied that publicly. If Swan was a couple of years younger we would have lost him too. Daisy was in exactly the same position, he wanted to stay but Buckley wouldn't cop someone twice as popular as himself and made sure he went. If Collingwood had given him an offer anything like his worth he would've signed before the FA period started, he was dying to do so and end the speculation. Instead he was offered peanuts when he was one of the best players in the game. Leigh Matthews called him "arguably the best there is" in 2011 when there seemed to be two of him most games. That was the year he added an extreme work rate to his amazing skills, and right up to his last game for us last year his ability to read the game and find space was unparalleled. Clearly most of you have forgotten, but if you doubt me go watch his last full game against StKilda last year, go watch any final he played in. To judge him on his output at Carlton, where he obviously doesn't want to be, is ridiculous (but take a closer look at his games there, he was far from their worst). If he'd played for us in 2014 it would have been very different. He was the best reader of Pendles and Swan I ever saw. Just accept that you don't know the details of his departure and judge him on his football.

Then we have Maxy & Ball, among others, who left Collingwood because they knew they would keep getting injured under Buckley, like most of the side, but when you've passed 30 it gets harder to continue. Why do you think Ball said he'd play on at another club if the right offer came? If you Blind folks can't get it through your skulls that 3 straight years of injuries doesn't just 'happen', there is little hope for the future. By the time next years NAB ...'thing' is over we'll have one or two more injured players, will you STILL be bemoaning poor old Buckley's bad luck? Probably. And when you compare him to Bomber Thompson and Alistair Clarkson, who also took several years to get their clubs into contention, try to remember that they were given Dud clubs, Buckley was handed the reigning back-to-back Minor Premiers who everyone expected to go even better in 2012. We were outright flag favourites, and even the following year it was us or Hawthorn. This crap about us being 'in development' is just an excuse, as is the rubbish about accepting 'Short term pain'. That's just a free pass for Buckley! He can't lose! If we finish 14th it's "all part of the long term plan", if we make finals he's a hero! The guy can't lose simply because a small group (which unfortunately includes the President) simply won't face the fact that he can't coach. How many times have I asked for examples of the great coaching? How many times have the Blind Brigade changed the subject to me and my evil treachery??? As they'll do again. The fact is that the most common view among Magpie fans is a 'wait and see'. They'll give Buckley another year to see what he can do without injuries. The smaller groups are people like me who want him replaced while there's a replacement available, and the BB, who think he's been the best thing to happen to Collingwood since Jock McHale. Yes, these two groups make more noise than the much larger one, but I guess that's because we care more.

That makes three of us Gentlemen. It's going to get very interesting at Collingwood over the next year. I wonder what the straw will be that breaks the camel's back. Will it be when Piesnchess stops licking the walls of Westpac Centre after our sixth straight loss and calls for the sacking of the coach (like he did after Round One in 2009)? Whatever, it won't be pretty and when the critical mass of Pies supporters turns, look out. At least we'll be able to say we climbed to the mountain top before them. I have looked over Jordan and I have seen the Promised Land (40 years away mind you, as it was for Moses). Sad

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:50 pm

That's the thing about calling for coaches to be sacked. It happens to virtually all of them in the end. It's a bit like saying your team won't win the premiership next year. That prediction is very likely to be right most years. That doesn't make it a useful, intelligent or informed prediction. Nor does it make you "right" when the "prediction" proves to be correct.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 pm

collie dog wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
35forever wrote:

That makes three of us Gentlemen. It's going to get very interesting at Collingwood over the next year. I wonder what the straw will be that breaks the camel's back. Will it be when Piesnchess stops licking the walls of Westpac Centre after our sixth straight loss and calls for the sacking of the coach (like he did after Round One in 2009)? Whatever, it won't be pretty and when the critical mass of Pies supporters turns, look out. At least we'll be able to say we climbed to the mountain top before them. I have looked over Jordan and I have seen the Promised Land (40 years away mind you, as it was for Moses). Sad

Your comments are both inane, and pathetic, the mods say tone it down, clearly you ignore them. I hope you have egg all over your moosh if we can win around three out of our first six games, one would think an apology would be in order, but I wont hold my breath. No doubt you will be actually hoping and praying we lose all six games, sweating on it, just to somehow prove your insidious point right, youd love the Pies to lose, just to spite bucks, that's what it is isn't it sunshine. Question Perhaps youd better nick off and barrack for the dawks, that's where your peaheart belongs, and you know it does too. Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:42 am

35forever wrote:

What a load of garbage!
I’m sure Heater promised that he would mend his ways. The world is full of people who have promised just that. Poor fellow, it seems that the club was not convinced that he was capable of mending his ways. I bet Eddie and a few others were relieved that they didn’t have to put up with his last drunken caper.
Daisy was indeed regarded by some as one of the best in the game in 2011. However at risk of stating the obvious we didn’t trade him in 2011. In fact we offered him a 4 year contract which he turned down. We traded him at the end of the 2013 season, by which time considerably fewer – if any - were saying that he was one of the best in the game. “He was far from (Carlton’s) their worst.” Bloody hell, the guy is getting 700 K a year for 4 years in a club which you yourself recently described as an absolute train wreck. I imagine that most at Carlton would hope that for that kind of money you would be something more than far from their worst.
Heater and Daisy were terrific players for us in the 2010 GF, but the sad fact is that terrific players don’t remain terrific players forever. There inevitably comes a time to move on.
How do you know that Dane Swan would go elsewhere if he were younger? Has he come out and said so? How do you know that Maxy and Ball know that they would continue to get injured due to Buckley’s training methods? Have they come out and said so? Playing at AFL level is pretty hard on the body and I suppose that after 10 or more years you might just decide that enough is enough. Maxwell has been the captain of a premiership team, he has stepped down from the captaincy, perhaps he senses deep down that his skills are not elite (God knows he’s been abused often enough on this site) he’s copped a seemingly long-term ankle injury. Isn’t it just a very reasonable decision to call it a day? With Ball we will just have to wait and see if the right offer comes along. And if it doesn’t?
Back to back minor premiers. As a long time Collingwood supporter I guess you would be familiar with the scenario of being minor premiers but falling short in the finals. Nathan Buckley took over a team which had been minor premiers twice. It is also true to say that he took over a team which had been convincingly beaten in the GF and – this is just my own opinion - was perhaps just a little bit lucky to be there in the first place. It’s entirely possible that somebody else would have had more success with this team, but if we are honest with ourselves, this is mere speculation.
If Buckley let a “star” like Dale Thomas go just because he could not accept that Daisy was more popular than he himself was, in my book that boils down to a pretty serious accusation. If you have any proof of this put it on the table so we all can see it. Maybe some of us will change our opinion of Buckley. To let one’s own vanity stand in the way of one’s professional judgement is poor to say the least.
If on the other hand you cannot substantiate that claim then I would have to regard it as a totally unacceptable slur on one of this club’s absolute legends. In fact I think it is downright insulting. For mine you can criticize Nathan Buckley all you like for his deeds or lack of deeds as a coach and I guess there will never be total consensus on his merits as such. But to suggest this sort of thing is pretty poor particularly as it comes from a bloke who bemoans the fact that he has been attacked on this site and that the moderators have done nothing. It is apparently not OK to personally attack some of the contributors to this site, but it is OK to personally attack the coach.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 am

SuperSwede wrote:
35forever wrote:

What a load of garbage!
I’m sure Heater promised that he would mend his ways. The world is full of people who have promised just that. Poor fellow, it seems that the club was not convinced that he was capable of mending his ways. I bet Eddie and a few others were relieved that they didn’t have to put up with his last drunken caper.
Daisy was indeed regarded by some as one of the best in the game in 2011. However at risk of stating the obvious we didn’t trade him in 2011. In fact we offered him a 4 year contract which he turned down. We traded him at the end of the 2013 season, by which time considerably fewer – if any - were saying that he was one of the best in the game. “He was far from (Carlton’s) their worst.” Bloody hell, the guy is getting 700 K a year for 4 years in a club which you yourself recently described as an absolute train wreck. I imagine that most at Carlton would hope that for that kind of money you would be something more than far from their worst.
Heater and Daisy were terrific players for us in the 2010 GF, but the sad fact is that terrific players don’t remain terrific players forever. There inevitably comes a time to move on.
How do you know that Dane Swan would go elsewhere if he were younger? Has he come out and said so? How do you know that Maxy and Ball know that they would continue to get injured due to Buckley’s training methods? Have they come out and said so? Playing at AFL level is pretty hard on the body and I suppose that after 10 or more years you might just decide that enough is enough. Maxwell has been the captain of a premiership team, he has stepped down from the captaincy, perhaps he senses deep down that his skills are not elite (God knows he’s been abused often enough on this site) he’s copped a seemingly long-term ankle injury. Isn’t it just a very reasonable decision to call it a day? With Ball we will just have to wait and see if the right offer comes along. And if it doesn’t?
Back to back minor premiers. As a long time Collingwood supporter I guess you would be familiar with the scenario of being minor premiers but falling short in the finals. Nathan Buckley took over a team which had been minor premiers twice. It is also true to say that he took over a team which had been convincingly beaten in the GF and – this is just my own opinion - was perhaps just a little bit lucky to be there in the first place. It’s entirely possible that somebody else would have had more success with this team, but if we are honest with ourselves, this is mere speculation.
If Buckley let a “star” like Dale Thomas go just because he could not accept that Daisy was more popular than he himself was, in my book that boils down to a pretty serious accusation. If you have any proof of this put it on the table so we all can see it. Maybe some of us will change our opinion of Buckley. To let one’s own vanity stand in the way of one’s professional judgement is poor to say the least.
If on the other hand you cannot substantiate that claim then I would have to regard it as a totally unacceptable slur on one of this club’s absolute legends. In fact I think it is downright insulting. For mine you can criticize Nathan Buckley all you like for his deeds or lack of deeds as a coach and I guess there will never be total consensus on his merits as such. But to suggest this sort of thing is pretty poor particularly as it comes from a bloke who bemoans the fact that he has been attacked on this site and that the moderators have done nothing. It is apparently not OK to personally attack some of the contributors to this site, but it is OK to personally attack the coach.

great response. if you haven't already you'll learn that there is no basis of fact to anything 35foreverandever posts. it's best to let his posts go through to the keeper.

we need to focus on the coming of age of our youngsters, many of whom are entering their third, fourth and fifth years. we're going to really need these guys to perform consistently for us to make the finals.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:28 am

blackandwhite4life wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Also, assuming that the average career of a good to great player is about 12 years, give or take, you've got to expect to lose about a third over 4 years to retirement. Collingwood has lost slightly less than a third (6, rather than 7). So what you've got to focus on, objectively, is the other 6 who have left or been moved on. Here are my views on them, for what they are worth:

Wellingham was a loss - he covered the ground brilliantly over the first couple of paces at the stoppages. I would have preferred Collingwood keep him but I understand why they let him go.

Dawes wasn't a loss - but I would be the first to agree that the Club still doesn't have a centre-half forward (see my rants last year about Blair having to play as lead-up target, contest after contest, in some games because no-one over 6 feet tall could get to the spot).

Thomas might yet prove to be a loss, if he comes good. His best football was played in 2010. He played more patchily but at a high level in 2011. He was one who could hold his head up after the GF loss. He hasn't played much good footy since then, either under Buckley or under the other chap. Would it be desirable to be paying him now the $750K per year he got from the Blooz? No, I think not. On balance, I am pleased Collingwood didn't match the offer - it would have inflated all sorts of player expectations that simply couldn't be met by the Club. On what I saw this year, I wouldn't want him back.

Heater was a great loss and his 2014 showed that he is still a fine player. I didn't like that deal when it was done - but it's hard to argue the toss between a 29 year old half-back flanker and the inside mid the Club wants to play for the next decade. Of the 6 of them, I miss Heater the most.

The 2014 version of H isn't a great loss. He was, once, close to my favourite player. By the middle of 2011, I'd given up on him and I think we've seen a steady decline. His efforts on Steve Johnson on GF day 2011 were unacceptable. Still a good contributor, now - but I think his best is probably behind him. He'll play plenty of good footy over the next year or two but I doubt much if any of it will be (or would have been) played in finals. I expect him to be done by the end of 2017. Varcoe's probably more or less a value for value replacement. That said, I'd probably prefer to have neither, at this stage.

Beams is clearly a loss but he isn't a great loss. I understand that I am in the minority in thinking this. It's not a new view. I never much cared for his style of play and have been openly questioning his position in the team since 2011. He is a classic example of a player too readily embraced by the Club's supporters. He's a good, solid player probably a B or a B+, certainly not an A grader. I think the Club has probably gained much more than it lost by letting him go, unless pick 5 turns out to be a complete spud. In any event, he couldn't have been paid the sum Brisbane was offering. The deal is apparently of the $800K to $900K per year variety. We might have kept him for 2015 but, if that sort of money was available next year, he would have fled.

So, in total, what we're talking about is 6 players, 2 of whom I would rather the Club had kept. Allowing for the possibility that the Collingwood football department might understand this better than me, I'm happy to accept what they did with Heater and Wellers - and I actively agree with each of the other 4 decisions.
[u]

Wow, in 2012 he won the Copeland, won the 3AW player of the year and finished 4th in the MVP behind Ablett, Watson & Cotchin (I think). If the player rated the 4th best in the game that year isn't A-grade I don't know what is.

2013 was a write-off of a year due to injury and this year he was a rare touch of class on numerous occasions and finished 2 points off 2nd in the Copeland. He is A-grade every day of the week, and that's not just a biased pies view. Ask other supporters, other players, other coaches; he is A GRADE.

Beams has always been shit. We knew it all along, we just drove up his price to extract the most out of the Brisbane trade. If Brissy we're on the ball, they would have only offered a 3rd round pick coz that's all Beams is really worth.

Back on planet Earth. We lost an A-grade star. He may not be worth $800,000 to us but it still makes him an A-grade player. A goal kicking mid who can both play in and under and outside is a huge loss for us. It'll be more apparent when we struggle to kick 10 goals a game in 2015 and wonder why our midfield don't score goals.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:34 am

av. of a bit over one goal a game. would we even notice?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 am

Not if we ever make a final - because there he only averages 0.25 goals per game.

I don't think they're A-graders until they can do the same job against the best opposition. Beams hasn't so far.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:59 am

John Wren wrote:
av. of a bit over one goal a game. would we even notice?

just did some quick research, of pendles, swans, sidey and beams only beams has a goal kcking average above one per game. this surprised me. further to this, fyfe, selwood and co av. approx one goal per a game.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 am

Arguably the 2 best players in the game left for other clubs in recent seasons. Guess what happened? The club they left behind wins the flag the following year. Now we're probably a fair way off flag material but by the same token Beams is a fair way off the best player in the comp. Those 2 players? G. Ablett and B. Franklin. No one is indispensable
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:44 am

I don't think we are so far off flag material.

But that is a great point, well made Frankie

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 am

I don't really think so either. Was being ultra conservative cos I really couldn't be bothered responding to the negative nellies trying to argue otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 93 of 188   

Jump to: