Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Luck, superstition, curses and such

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K, you've been very inventive with your great suggestions about curses.
I reckon (4) to (10) all have merit!!!

There's one more, I'd like to add:
(13) there is a curse and it's the *%^#ing team song!! Any team that includes the line "Oh, the premiership's a cakewalk" has it coming to them, from all directions, including the footy gods. You can also see the players cringe when they sing it, because it's so blatantly untrue!!!!

That line really, really needs to be dropped. The club could run a competition for the best replacement line!!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:38 pm

I agree. That line should only be permitted to be sung after a Grand Final triumph and until the next season comes around.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:50 pm

K wrote:
So which of those 10+1 possibilities gets your vote, Cam? CbC has made a clear vote for [10].

If you play any sort of sport, or do anything competitive, then you know that if you are the best team/individual on the day, make the fewest mistakes, and are more determined than your opponent in such a way that either your superior skills are allowed to shine, or your inferior skills are compensated for by raw desire and clinical execution... then you WILL win. If you persist for longer, train more effectively, meet the mental possibilities of failure and conquer the fear of them... if your fitness is their equal, your bodies don't weaken, your mind stays hungry for the contest and your take your opportunities... then you WILL WIN.

Look your mate in the eye, mark the promise of persistence with a nod, play your role, leave nothing on the park and...

GO OUT AND WIN THE #$#$# FLAG

Last edited by Cam on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:51 pm

What makes you say that I will win.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:55 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
K, you've been very inventive with your great suggestions about curses.
I reckon (4) to (10) all have merit!!!

There's one more, I'd like to add:
(13) there is a curse and it's the *%^#ing team song!! Any team that includes the line "Oh, the premiership's a cakewalk" has it coming to them, from all directions, including the footy gods. You can also see the players cringe when they sing it, because it's so blatantly untrue!!!!

That line really, really needs to be dropped. The club could run a competition for the best replacement line!!

The line is embarrassing and makes me cringe.

May as well sing....

Oh the Colliwobbles curse us
At the Good Old Collingwood
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:43 pm

"It wasn’t until 1906 that a Collingwood player by the name of Tom Nelson ... took the music and made it the basis ... Remarkably, Nelson came up with his version with his teammates while in Tasmania...

The penultimate line of the song (‘Oh, the Premiership’s a cakewalk’) was changed in 1983, to avoid embarrassment after a long period without Premiership success. But the alternate version (‘There is just one team we favour’) met with little acceptance from fans and everyone soon reverted to the original. (For those who are curious, a ‘cakewalk’ was a dance that developed from a Black American contest in graceful walking, where a cake was offered as a prize.)"

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-song/
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:48 am

K wrote:
But the alternate version (‘There is just one team we favour’) met with little acceptance from fans and everyone soon reverted to the original.[/b]

Yeah, I remember that well. Couldn't get myself to sing that pathetic line either. Laughing Compare it to something like "fighting fury"!!!

I just reckon we need to remove all references to premierships altogether and come up with something really meaningful and strong. Surely the club could tap into the imagination of the multitude of Collingwood supporters to get a meaningful line we can all sing with faith and gusto, including the players!!

I do like the idea though of bringing out the cakewalk line when we actually win a premiership. Smile Wink

And how extraordinary is the history behind the notion of the "cakewalk"!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
I agree. That line should only be permitted to be sung after a Grand Final triumph and until the next season comes around.

Yep - good one RH!!
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:19 pm

A possible revision:

"For the Magpie Army's faithful
To ..."

which follows naturally from the previous lines.

[Or instead of "Magpie Army's", "barrackers are" (the simplest and perhaps the easiest to pronounce, but is three times one too many?), "Magpie fans are", etc.]

I also note that "cakewalk" does not rhyme with "shouting"... but I don't recommend "For the barrackers are pouting", regardless of whether this version has historical accuracy. Maybe something like:

"For the victories are mounting".

Or perhaps:

"For the spirit is unfailing
At..."

[Or instead of "spirit", any number of things, such as "effort", "teamwork", etc.]
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:20 pm

K wrote:
A possible revision:

"For the Magpie Army's faithful
To ..."

which follows naturally from the previous lines.

[Or instead of "Magpie Army's", "barrackers are" (the simplest and perhaps the easiest to pronounce, but is three times one too many?), "Magpie fans are", etc.]

I also note that "cakewalk" does not rhyme with "shouting"... but I don't recommend "For the barrackers are pouting", regardless of whether this version has historical accuracy. Maybe something like:

"For the victories are mounting".

Or perhaps:

"For the spirit is unfailing
At..."

[Or instead of "spirit", any number of things, such as "effort", "teamwork", etc.]

All good suggestions, K. I like the inclusion of the Magpie Army. If it didn't fit into the last line, perhaps it could go beforehand eg
"See the Magpie Army's shouting,
As all barrackers should"

We'll have the whole song changed before long!! It is fairly archaic, although the first stanza is excellent - "side by side we stick together" will always be a Collingwood sentiment.

Perhaps we should start a list - and another thread?? Get something going to send to the club.

Other last line suggestions:

" we're tougher, bolder, stronger at..."

" for the courage is unfailing at".

BTW, out of interest, Collingwood, Essendon, Gold Coast and Port are the only ones who mention flags or premierships in their club songs.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:50 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Perhaps we should start a list - and another thread?? Get something going to send to the club.

Yes. If the current thread discussion generates an initial list here, the new thread can include a Nickster poll of those suggestions. (I don't know whether polls can be added later; they might have to be done in the OP.)

I don't think there's anything good in Peppard's alternative, though...

'Mind you, it could just as easily have been something else. Jack 'Doogan' Peppard, a club official who also fancied his vocal talents), introduced his own song that same day. The tune wasn't recorded but the words were:

"The Collingwood, the Collingwood,
The Magpies famous crew.
Their style of game has won them fame,
They've shown what they can do.
On every ground they are renowned,
For system, style and pace.
And take my tip for the Premiership,
They're sure to take first place." '

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-08-11/110-years-on-the-story-behind-our-song
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 pm

The premiership's a cakewalk is fine. It's just a song and doesn't influence us onfield either. Without love and loss our lives would be pr-et-ty boring.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Unless the Club was behaving rashly, its past failed attempt to change the words indicates at the very least a discomfort with them. The question is the magnitude of this discomfort among supporters.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:57 pm

K wrote:
Unless the Club was behaving rashly, its past failed attempt to change the words indicates at the very least a discomfort with them. The question is the magnitude of this discomfort among supporters.

Well reasoned K.

It'd also be interesting to know what the players think of that line. I'm pretty sure that they would think that the premiership's not a cake walk!! Very Happy
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Cam wrote:
The premiership's a cakewalk is fine. It's just a song and doesn't influence us onfield either. Without love and loss our lives would be pr-et-ty boring.

Agree with your last sentence Cam, but not with the rest.
If it was just a song, we could all just sing Mary Had a Little Lamb!!!

I think nearly everyone could see the effect of the Richmond song on the supporters AND players in their premiership year. If the supporters are singing a rousing club song with full belief and faith, then it has to have an inspirational effect on the team.

I've been singing the Collingwood song for fifty plus years and I have never felt fully convinced singing the last line - in my mind, there was always an "I hope" attached. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: