Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Luck, superstition, curses and such

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Move over Tony Robbins! Smile

Psychobabble... Just what we need.

www.facebook.com/groups/knightsofabbotsford

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Throughout the world there are sporting teams who consistently court tragedy, curses and lucking out over and over again, often snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Collingwood is one of those teams.

If you are "proper Collingwood" you knew what would happen with 8 minutes to go yesterday. Of course you hoped it wouldn't. That's a unique form of mental illness that keeps you hanging on. And hoping. Always. Desperately hoping. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

The effort it took to get there and the mental let down of being so close but so far will definitely chip away at this group over the summer. It won't fortify them. In fact, now they are burdened with a weight of expectation that will slowly crush them all! It's an oft repeated script at Collingwood. It's our history, our culture, and our true collective identity.

Would you want it any other way? Look at your own life. Is it a series of missed opportunities peppered here and there with the odd personal triumph? Of course it is. That's why you barrack for Collingwood - and why you keep coming back for more.

Enjoy it. Embrace it. We are better at failure than success. Don't kid yourself this is the start of something big. The competition doesn't work like that anymore. At Collingwood, near enough is always good enough because it really is as close as we are able to get on a majority of occasions.

For me, I feel that another 5 point defeat in a GF (the second in my lifetime) means that somehow everything is right with the world. We never win the close ones and we never will. Will it be possible to win another flag by 8 - 10 goals? Statistically, the possibility of that seems very remote. Buckley could coach a team to flag one day but it won't be Collingwood. How much misery he is prepared to endure is up to him.

Maybe he is as hopeless as the rest of us!

Last edited by 1970 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:24 am; edited 3 times in total
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:54 pm

^ You make it sound as though our future is predetermined...no it ain't...each team can carve out their own destiny. Not taking a defeatist attitude is the first step towards achieving success.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Superstitions, Colliwobbles, Luck, God hates us, whatever it is.....we have to remove the word cakewalk from our song. Because premierships are NOT a cakewalk for Collingwood.

Couldn't agree more! I literally cringe every time I hear it. It's inviting hubris.

Number 35 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:50 am

^

How about instead we sing

OH The premierships are haaard earned
For the good old Collingwood

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 am

It's not pschobabble at all. It's a scientific approach to improvement rather than an emotion driven dive into hopelessness. What do you think drives this team? Have you listened to our coach? We are living in the moment, not the past, not the future, but the now. We have the parts and we are making it work.

And that's why we will win the flag in 2019.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am

Cam wrote:
It's not pschobabble at all. It's a scientific approach to improvement rather than an emotion driven dive into hopelessness. What do you think drives this team? Have you listened to our coach? We are living in the moment, not the past, not the future, but the now. We have the parts and we are making it work.

No chance. We simply cannot win a flag the year after we've a lost a GF in the modern era. Read your history books bro. Give it another ten years.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 am

Cam wrote:

I’m with you Cam.

We over achieved, to the nth degree, and just fell 90 agonising seconds short, next year hopefully, we are 5 goals up at least at that point, and no AFL prick can take us down. I do believe there is conspiracy in this make believe competition, but if your good enough, they can’t stop you. That’s how Hawthorn got three straight, they played tough, took no prisoners, I’m prefering Buckleys kinder route, but if that’s what it takes...

This is why the Brisbane threepeat doesn’t wash with me it was as paid for as the north Melbourne premierships in the 70s was.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am

tbaker wrote:
^ You make it sound as though our future is predetermined...no it ain't...each team can carve out their own destiny. Not taking a defeatist attitude is the first step towards achieving success.

I don't play for the team. I watch on and hope something changes. It never does. It's the definition of madness.

Ignoring that certain sporting teams are destined for failure and tragedy more often than not is ignoring reality. The real first step toward achieving success is to get on board with a team or entity that achieves success on a regular basis.

When you signed up to Collingwood, you stuffed up the first step!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 am

But

How $£$%^%%$ good does it feel when we win!

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 am

Number 35 wrote:
^

How about instead we sing

OH The premierships are haaard earned
For the good old Collingwood

I actually think there might be something in this, there is no need to change the words of the song, but they can be pronounced as one chooses.....thats it, until the next flag, I'm singing 'hard-earned' instead of 'cakewalk', and would invite you all to do likewise

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 am

There is no curse. As the OP said, watch the last minute of the 2010 GF1. That should dispel any such idea.

Our teams of 1970 and 1973 (where we led the eventual premiers by 42 points in a PF and lost) and in the 1977 GF1 choked on excessive expectations. 1979 was pure bad luck from an umpiring non-call. In the other years, well, we either won or we were just objectively not as good as the opposition. This year is a bit of an outlier, but arguably a team that played above itself was nutted by a terrible umpiring non-call to Maynard at the critical moment. It cannot be changed, so to quote one of the Buckley mantras, you control what you can control, and forget the rest. We go again next year with a lot of hope and pride and expectation. It’s what we do.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 am

Cam wrote:
It's not pschobabble at all. ...

Just a clarification: I mentioned "psychobabble" in reference to T. Robbins, not any poster.

And the poster who made allusions to T. Robbins may like the guy, for all I know.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am

Put up Cam's opening post about something that he claims doesn't exist versus 1970's post and the jury can be dismissed.

We are cursed.

The board has taken decisions to exorcise it, our legends have tried to bury it, yet it won't go away.

Taking no-action, as is proposed ignores 60 years of cold hard history, and cold hard right now. 5 goals to nothing at home with an 8 day break in a low scoring match.

Step 1 - identify all possible causes and document the top 3
Step 2 - research all curse removal techniques and document the top 3
Step 3 - best resource and implement 9 curse removal ceremonies

Step 1 - can we get started?
Should we assume this started between 1958 and 1964?
Theories please ?
Wasn't their something about Harrison Weideman Serong at 1/4 time in 1958?
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:56 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Put up Cam's opening post about something that he claims doesn't exist versus 1970's post and the jury can be dismissed.

We are cursed.

The board has taken decisions to exorcise it, our legends have tried to bury it, yet it won't go away.

Taking no-action, as is proposed ignores 60 years of cold hard history, and cold hard right now. 5 goals to nothing at home with an 8 day break in a low scoring match.

Step 1 - identify all possible causes and document the top 3
Step 2 - research all curse removal techniques and document the top 3
Step 3 - best resource and implement 9 curse removal ceremonies

Step 1 - can we get started?
Should we assume this started between 1958 and 1964?
Theories please ?
Wasn't their something about Harrison Weideman Serong at 1/4 time in 1958?

lol

I'll go to Haiti with you, Mr Bond Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: