Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Luck, superstition, curses and such

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking more about the poll K........

Perhaps it should go back to the beginning of this discussion about the club song and refer just to the last line - for starters.
It could have these options:
1) no change to last line
2) remove mention of "cakewalk" from last line
3) remove mention of "premiership" and "cakewalk"

If option 2) was the most popular, then suggestions for a modified line could be called for.

If option 3) was the most popular, it would actually necessitate a complete new line and suggestions could also be called for.

What do ya reckon?????
K 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:27 am

PPie, here is my idea: have 'above-the-line' and 'below-the-line' options (in state electoral terminology).

e.g. Poll question: Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?

1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).

4) Yes. I want the one-word change "Oh the premiership is well-earned" (or "hard-earned", or something very similar).
5) Yes. I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
6) Yes. I want the one-line change ...
<list the main options suggested in this thread>
n) Yes. I want the words changed, but my preference is something not covered above.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Hey K, I reckon your option is a bit too complicated for the first poll. Interesting that you should mention state electoral papers, because I got quite confused with the last lot!! Smile
I don't think the whole matter can be settled with just one poll. It is likely that there will need to be quite a few different polls before the subject is finalized, especially when considering the suggested options for substitute wording.

How about something in between yours and mine:

Poll question: Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
3) Yes, I want the word "cakewalk" removed from the last line (with alternatives to be discussed and voted on later)

You/we could explain in the rationale for the poll, the discontent by some over the "cakewalk" term, as already covered here.
It would also need to be further highlighted that if option 3 gets up, alternatives will be called for and these may include a whole new line (without the mention of both the premiership and cakewalk). These would then be collected and voted on in a new poll.
There may need to be a series of polls before we got down to the most popular say, three alternatives, before we sent the info to the club.

However, you're the boss. Smile, because you're the one putting your identity to the poll. Just presenting my views here for you to have the final say.Smile
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Another consideration is the the timing of presenting the first poll - geez, I'm starting to sound like a politician's aide. Smile Smile

Obviously, with the holiday period, a lot of Nicksters wouldn't be even reading the board. Also, the pain of the GF loss is possibly subsiding for some (??) and the whole preposterous notion of the premiership being a cakewalk is probably not so virulent for some Smile.

How do you make a post "sticky"? Do the admins decide on that?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:49 am

PPie, most of the polls since August have had low voter turnouts (< 40s). To me, 45 is not a very large number, and 10 or 20 is very small.

That's partly why I want to put more in the poll; at least there'll be more info from those votes that do trickle in. The ageing BB technology allows only one poll question, and voters can only choose one answer each... New polls can be made later, anyway, so I'm just going to plough ahead and we'll see what happens.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:32 am

Goodbye Dolly Gray (v.3)

Harry McDonough (1901): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsbwba3dA70

Hugh Donovan (c. 1916): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqKFNcTFqdY

Florrie Forde (c. WW1?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y80_zOiZs-g

Edward Woodward (1975): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMf3_wT1rA

Tim van Eyken, London Voices, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (2017): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH5y7AO8S-Y

Linda Thompson (2005 [live performance], 2018 [album release]): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHtpOxQaDRY
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 pm

K wrote:
PPie, most of the polls since August have had low voter turnouts (< 40s). To me, 45 is not a very large number, and 10 or 20 is very small.

That's partly why I want to put more in the poll; at least there'll be more info from those votes that do trickle in. The ageing BB technology allows only one poll question, and voters can only choose one answer each... New polls can be made later, anyway, so I'm just going to plough ahead and we'll see what happens.

Many thanks K for your efforts. I for one appreciate the thought and research you have put into this topic. It will be interesting to see what eventuates and if it's nothing Smile, well at least a seed may have been planted for sometime in the future!!
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:49 pm

PPie, as you probably will have noticed by the time you read this, the poll is up and running.

Listening to all the different versions of GDG has been an interesting experience. I think it has changed my thoughts about the tune. I'm not sure I like the recordings of AFL club songs they blare at us at games. They make them too cartoony, I think... but maybe I take football too seriously...
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:40 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
K wrote:

PPie, the original words (which I tried to retain to a large extent) are:
"Sounding thro' the village street, Dolly Gray."
When I wrote "suburban streets", I was of course thinking of the suburb of Collingwood and surrounds! Are there other possibilities?

I rather like original lines such as "It is time to do and dare, Dolly Gray".

I agree with you K.
1) Certain phrases from the original lyrics have great impact and you cleverly adapted them to a modern setting.
2) Yeah, I understood where you were coming from with "suburban" streets. Can't think of a suitable word that covers country as well as city, but will give it further deliberation. Wink

PPie, returning to my Nelsoning for some light relief (no doubt I've now spent far more time on my Nelsoning than Nelson did on his Nelsoning), I now feel that the second line of the verse ("We have come to show our might") really is unsatisfactory. I think perhaps I was initially coaxed into thinking it was okay because I felt it had a link to the stock phrase "Mighty Magpies", but then I began thinking it wasn't all that good... Finally, I realized that it's just a cheap rip-off of Up, there, Cazaly ("Fight like an angel. Show 'em your might.")!

Therefore new Nelsoning came up with the replacement line (i.e. in place of "We have come to show our might"):

"In the darkness shines a light".

(I uber-Nelsoned over the word "darkness". I'm not sure whether that's too extreme. I thought about "winter", for example...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: