Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jordan Peterson on Q&A tonight (25 Feb 2019)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am
Post subject: Jordan Peterson on Q&A tonight (25 Feb 2019)Reply with quote

Might be worth tuning in to Q&A tonight on ABC-TV (9:30pm AEST).

The Canadian psychologist, author, podcaster and enemy of 3rd wave feminism Jordan Peterson is one of the panelists.

Like him or not, Peterson is a phenomenon. He's currently on a world tour promoting his best selling book, and recently attracted 5,000+ to hear his talk at Jeff's Shed in Melb.

For those unfamiliar with Peterson, check out the now famous (or infamous) interview he did with BBC4's arch feminist Cathy Newman. A coldly clinical demolition if ever there was one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

And he was in NZ last week and gave this interview to TVNZ's Hayley Holt, and advised her that being childless at 38 may not be a good life plan.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/jordan-peterson-says-young-men-attend-his-talks-not-political-reasons-but-turn-their-lives-around-v1?auto=6003565202001

Last edited by Woods on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would you pay for a coldly clinical demolition if there was ?
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am

Geez HAL, I thought you were dead!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-13/douglas-rain-dead-2001-a-space-odyssey-hal-9000/10493578
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks for telling me.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Quote:
Peterson's audience includes Christian conservatives, atheist libertarians, centrist pundits and neo-Nazis

Quote:
Such intense adoration can turn nasty. His more extreme supporters have abused, harassed and doxxed (maliciously published the personal information of) several of his critics. One person who has crossed swords with Peterson politely declined my request for an interview, having experienced floods of hatemail, including physical threats. Newman received so much abuse that Peterson asked his fans to “back off”, albeit while suggesting the scale had been exaggerated. “His fans are relentless,” says Southey. “They have contacted me, repeatedly, on just about every platform possible.”

While Peterson does not endorse such attacks, his intellectual machismo does not exactly deter them.

Dorian Lynskey - Guardian

Thu 8 Feb 2018 02.20 AEDT
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Every one?
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:35 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Quote:
Peterson's audience includes Christian conservatives, atheist libertarians, centrist pundits and neo-Nazis

Quote:
Such intense adoration can turn nasty. His more extreme supporters have abused, harassed and doxxed (maliciously published the personal information of) several of his critics. One person who has crossed swords with Peterson politely declined my request for an interview, having experienced floods of hatemail, including physical threats. Newman received so much abuse that Peterson asked his fans to “back off”, albeit while suggesting the scale had been exaggerated. “His fans are relentless,” says Southey. “They have contacted me, repeatedly, on just about every platform possible.”

While Peterson does not endorse such attacks, his intellectual machismo does not exactly deter them.

Dorian Lynskey - Guardian

Thu 8 Feb 2018 02.20 AEDT

If you want to challenge the intellectual depth of Peterson you'd be better off quoting someone with a tad more street cred than friggin Dorian Lynskey.

Quote:
Dorian Lynskey is a music writer for the Guardian and Observer as well as magazines including Q, GQ and Mojo. He is the author of 33 Revolutions Per Minute: A History of Protest Songs (Faber).

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/dorianlynskey
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:13 pm

“With Jordan Peterson, you know what's my problem. I like to debate with neo-fascists [...] but sorry, Jung is too much for me. When I just open, I cannot buy it for moral reasons, but in a book store I opened a little bit of this '12 Rules for Life'. Fascism is okay, racism is okay, but my gott all those wise advises, you know, like when you see a dog caress him or whatever, that's too much for me.” – Slavoj Zizek
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:17 pm

I'm not sure if I would like to do debate with neo-fascists [ . What's it like?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Who does ABC Q&A typically have as guests? Why is this sort of person given free publicity time?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Peterson's perfect for Q&A - it's just an opportunity for people to get outraged in public and for the audience to clap and boo. It's like current affairs by pantomime.

As for "this sort of person", well, Q&A gives plenty of very dim people a platform, so Peterson's appearance is about par for the course.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:02 pm

I see. Is this what the ABC has become? Or was it always this way?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:13 pm

It's certainly the way Q&A has always been. I get the impression that TV, in the distant past, sometimes had space for more intellectually engaging shows where people might actually sit around for a long period and talk about genuinely interesting things. But that age is long over, and it's all about soundbites now.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 pm

^wrong.

Remember Robert Moore's Monday Conference?

There was the men's rights apologist who was shouted down by a bunch of feminists, the pro Rhodesia bloke who couldn't get his point across, the conflict was worth more than the debate...

This had a lot to do with Robert Moore, who was no George Negus, but was apolitical in a Molly Meldrumesque way, and whose main job was to keep the ABC out of controversy. He lacked the will to let either side have their say.

I doubt if the Right's latest Milos Alex Breitbart will do anything more than preach to the converted, and piz off the rest of us.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:52 pm

^ Oh, I'm very sure there was a lot of bad TV on back then. I just get the impression – mostly from old YouTube clips – that you might occasionally get Noam Chomsky sitting in an armchair talking to a guy about linguistics for an hour, or extended discussions with artists and filmmakers. In some senses, TV seems to be a lot faster now than it once was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: