Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ABC and Political Interference

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

the ABC run the overseas channel in Asia-pacific. Footy aside and bananas (my girlfriend has a 3 year niece who watches but does not speak English) they changed direction. All we seem to get is rehashed news and Stan Grant. Gone are the drams etc providef by the other networks. Losing Home and Away who cares but it is the other shows I miss. It all happened in the last 5 monts and if Guthrie is in charge her demise is well deserved. Abesides footy all I watch now is Q and A and the odd gardening show. Cokking shows that are not educational are for arseholes.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:10 am

'The missus': language exacerbated ABC tensions

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/the-missus-language-exacerbated-abc-tensions-20180926-p5067w.html

'Mr Milne ... is alleged to have referred to Ms Guthrie as “the missus” in front of staff. Fairfax Media has spoken to a media executive who claims Mr Milne also referred to women as “chicks” and “babes”.

However, suggestions Mr Milne’s language could be used to form part of any wrongful dismissal case were dismissed by legal experts.

“I think it would probably a stretch to say [the language could be] part of a unfair dismissal claim,” said a senior legal source. “The nature of an unfair dismissal claim is to prove they had no grounds or they treated her unfairly by changing her duties, for example.” '
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:26 am

ABC chairman Justin Milne's tangled corporate web

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/abc-chairman-justin-milne-s-tangled-corporate-web-20180926-p5061t.html

"Ms Alberici said Mr Milne should never have been part of any deliberations about her controversial stories on tax – which were subject to rewrites and sparked complaints from the government – because he was the chairman of accounting software firm MYOB, which she had highlighted.

Thomas Clarke, a professor of management at the UTS Business School, who at the time of the controversy over the articles publicly criticised the government's then plans for a corporate tax cut, said Mr Milne should have recused himself from any decisions over the article.

"It would be very unusual for a chair to take an initiative like this himself or even to become involved in it in any way," he said."
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:37 pm

The Chairman of the ABC otherwise known as: Milne, idiot as labelled by Stui’s love interest Terry McCrann, dead man walking and Mr Untenable has resigned. However, given his actions in resigning were a given, the question of Political interference by the Turnbull government and ? Morrison & the Mad Misogynist Monk needs examination. A senate investigation is required. Mitch Fyfield’s role should be put under the microscope.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 pm

ronrat wrote:
the ABC run the overseas channel in Asia-pacific. Footy aside and bananas (my girlfriend has a 3 year niece who watches but does not speak English) they changed direction. All we seem to get is rehashed news and Stan Grant. Gone are the drams etc providef by the other networks. Losing Home and Away who cares but it is the other shows I miss. It all happened in the last 5 monts and if Guthrie. Abesides footy all I watch now is Q and A and the odd gardening show. Cokking shows that are not educational are for arseholes.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I’m surprized what the ABC is broadcasting to SE Asia. Puts a new perspective on bananas in pyjamas. Shocked

K 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:28 am

watt price tully wrote:
The Chairman of the ABC otherwise known as: Milne, ... has resigned. ...

I'm a bit surprised he immediately rolled over like that. Aren't these things normally wars of attrition? In legal terms, did having perceived or real conflicts of interest have potential consequences?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:32 am

ABC chairman Justin Milne resigns

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/abc-board-tells-chairman-justin-milne-to-step-aside-20180927-p506bj.html

"ABC directors met on Thursday and decided Mr Milne should stand aside while a government investigation took place, which prompted him to resign.

Sources at the ABC said employees had made it clear to board members on Thursday that ABC staff were so angry they were prepared to walk off the job in protest if Mr Milne did not resign."
K 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:35 am

ABC board members cling to their positions amid fallout from political interference affair

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/abc-board-members-cling-to-their-positions-amid-fallout-from-political-interference-affair-20180927-p506ie.html

"The entire ABC board could now also be forced out as angry staff, former directors and a chorus of federal MPs demand answers over this week’s unprecedented turmoil.

While the broadcaster and government had hoped Mr Milne’s departure would end the affair, attention has now turned to the seven-member ABC board, which was made aware of the former chairman’s demands to sack chief economics correspondent Emma Alberici and political editor Andrew Probyn but appeared to do nothing. Board members are required under legislation to protect the independence of the ABC."
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:58 am

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
The Chairman of the ABC otherwise known as: Milne, ... has resigned. ...

I'm a bit surprised he immediately rolled over like that. Aren't these things normally wars of attrition? In legal terms, did having perceived or real conflicts of interest have potential consequences?

Apart from the government, almost all others said he had to go regardless of political affiliation; his wrongdoing (political intferrence) was that obvious. Then Turnbull effectively threw Milne under a bus with his intervention. His mates on the board withdrew their support.

Abbott and Turnbull especially politicised their appointments to the ABC. Further, the huge budget cuts combined with relentless attacks by the coalition and News Limited and the Gina Rinehard’s of this world placed the ABC in jeopardy.

Milne sent stupid emails out doing the governments bidding. He intervened not just through the CEO Guthrie but intervened directly at lower levels theatening staff (see JJJ staff). His ham fisted actions allowed others to reveal those emails making Milne look foolish and compromised (which we now know is true). Milne still lacks inight into his role at he ABC and what is utterly amazing he was ignorant of the ABC charter including independence from political interference.

Now for the board to go. Turnbull acquiesed to Pauline Hanson

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:41 pm

All the current board are friends and were recommended by Mitch Fiffield. LNP stooges who clearly ignore the law and Constitution. Milne and Guthrie emails need to be released along with the Boards communication. It's all coming back to bite them on the ass and Guthrie will sue and win so even more costs to the tax payer.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:21 am

'Dear directors': explosive dossier reveals bitter war between Michelle Guthrie and ABC board

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/dear-directors-explosive-dossier-reveals-bitter-war-between-michelle-guthrie-and-abc-board-20180928-p506p7.html

'Former ABC boss Michelle Guthrie warned the public broadcaster's board that firing her would be retribution for raising explosive allegations of misconduct and political interference by chairman Justin Milne.

Ms Guthrie alleged Mr Milne told her she should fire chief economics correspondent Emma Alberici at least four times, in exchanges on WhatsApp, phone, email and in person.

However, other people close to the process said Ms Guthrie was offered the opportunity to make a formal complaint about Mr Milne's conduct but did not take it up.

The board has hired public relations firm FTI Consulting to help it with "crisis management".'
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:03 am

Angry ABC staff weigh up 'sacking' their own board representative

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/angry-abc-staff-weigh-up-sacking-their-own-board-representative-20180929-p506to.html

"Sacking board members is difficult under the legislation that governs the ABC. However some journalists have considered holding a stop-work meeting to move a no-confidence motion in Connors. She would not automatically lose her position if the motion passed, but the message would be devastating and Connors would have to consider her future.

Staff are also weighing up passing a no-confidence motion in the full board, which would avoid singling out just one director.

In a sign ABC staff expect the board will become casualties of the affair, union representatives have started referring to directors as the "interim board".

The ABC board usually meets six times a year and each member is paid $56,380."

That's $9k+ per meeting. Not bad. Do they have to do anything outside meetings?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:28 am

Amanda Vanstone:

"In more than 20 years in politics I had occasion to complain to the ABC a couple of times. I can't say they were great experiences. I nearly sued them a few years ago, but knowing they have deep pockets (yours and mine) I decided to let it go. In that sense, I didn't do the right thing. I complained recently and regard the response as risible rubbish.

Frankly, getting the ABC to admit error is like getting Tony Abbott to admit his errors. It might not sit well with some ABC staff to realise that they have a few things in common with Tony, but they do. They too are never wrong and they too think it's all about them."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/abc-crisis-independence-doesn-t-mean-the-right-to-be-wrong-or-biased-20180927-p506dx.html

Nearly sued them about what?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Parliament to consider sweeping changes to the way ABC board members are picked

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/parliament-to-consider-sweeping-changes-to-the-way-abc-board-members-are-picked-20180930-p506xx.html

"Recent government picks include Minerals Council of Australia chairwoman Vanessa Guthrie, South Australian businesswoman Donny Walford, and lawyer Joseph Gersh, who is close to former treasurer Peter Costello. The panel also last year recommended Gilbert + Tobin founder Danny Gilbert for the $160,000-a-year chairman's role, but former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull appointed Mr Milne, who was a friend and former business colleague."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 pm

watt price tully wrote:
ronrat wrote:
the ABC run the overseas channel in Asia-pacific. Footy aside and bananas (my girlfriend has a 3 year niece who watches but does not speak English) they changed direction. All we seem to get is rehashed news and Stan Grant. Gone are the drams etc providef by the other networks. Losing Home and Away who cares but it is the other shows I miss. It all happened in the last 5 monts and if Guthrie. Abesides footy all I watch now is Q and A and the odd gardening show. Cokking shows that are not educational are for arseholes.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I’m surprized what the ABC is broadcasting to SE Asia. Puts a new perspective on bananas in pyjamas. Shocked

Well, it is Thailand. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: