Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brodie Grundy's ruck work

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
P4S, if Darcy bothers you, you probably shouldn't listen to what Don Scott said.

Look away, now!

("Jumps too early."
"Scared.")

Let’s be quite clear about this. What people in the media write about our best player doesn’t “bother” me but most of that which has been written since Saturday is just piffle. We did not lose the game because Grundy had the ball 98 times and Mumford had 3 effective disposals. We lost it because none of Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar, Adams or Phillips fired a shot. They didn’t fail to fire a shot because Grundy didn’t give them an armchair ride - they failed to fire a shot because, on the day, they were not up to the task. The first 2 names in that list are my two favourite current players. I take no pleasure at all in identifying that their shabby day cost us the game.

Of course, it might be equally appropriate to cast an eye over the 12 players in our 22 who couldn’t manage 10 kicks For the match. Most of those players actually did nothing at all until the last quarter and a few of them did nothing at all, period.

Ultimately, we probably fielded a team with about 6 or 7 players in it who clocked on and did the job they were paid to do. Grundy was first and best, by a mile, amongst them. If it were my problem, I’d be wanting to know why, in the biggest game of the year, the only players that did enough to warrant another game were Grundy, Crisp, Howe, Roughead, Moore, Maynard and Stephenson. When you lose by 4 points on a day when 15 of your 22 (and the whole of your midfield) play like potatoes, the few who played to the required standard must have played out of their skins to keep your team in it.

A moment’s reflection tells you that most of the “analysis” of Grundy v Mumford is quite stupid. What Mumford did was to adopt a strategy of confining the areas Grundy could hit the ball and then the GWS mids all went to that area and won the contest (in a contested possession belting). They did not win the contest because Grundy put the ball into that area, they won the contest because they were - every single one of them - better and harder over the game than all of our mids. Despite all of that, Grundy nearly carried the team over the line at the end. That he didn’t wasn’t down to Mumford. Grundy probably thought that if he kept dominating the ruck contest, eventually one or other of our allegedly star mids would do the job.

The mids are the problem. Have a look at the Geelong game - the media blamed the opposition coach for not playing Stanley because Grundy was so dominant. Yet, have a look at what Dangerfield was able to do in that game and imagine what the result of our PF would have been if Dangerfield had been roving to Grundy in place of any one of our mids. Collectively, those guys are overrated. Grundy isn’t.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:38 am

The media are doing their best to drive Grundy away from Collingwood so he will return to SA to avoid all this scrutiny.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am

^^^

What is “ humorous “ in all the press driven Grundy criticism, is those very same media people who pointed the finger at Grundy, are the same people who lauded Martins game against Mumford a week earlier.
One week earlier, these same agenda driven media whores were calling for Mumford to be dropped because he couldn’t run or jump. Plenty had Martin as B O G on the back of his great game in the ruck. Despite Martins “ Herculean “ efforts, the Lions were beaten by 3 points and their mids were well beaten ( sound familiar )

GWS vs Lions

Martin 23 disposals ( 16/7 ) 24 hitouts 😂 Ranking points 91
Mumford 9 disposals. ( 5/4 ) 25 hitouts. Ranking points 69

Pies vs GWS

Grundy 25 disposals ( 11/14 ) 73 hitouts. Ranking points 164
Mumford 8 disposals. ( 5/3 ) 14 hitouts. Ranking points 50 😂

Seriously, in what parallel universe can anyone possibly conclude that Grundy didn’t obliterate Mumford, particularly when compared against Martins Herculean effort. Let’s not forget, Martins effort was so good, everyone was calling for Mumford to be dropped.

We live in a world where media space is a very competitive business.
There is no value in a headline that reads “ Aish, Noble Mayne and Brown all lower their colours “ ( example only )
If you want to sell a story, then run a negative headline about the Pies best player, not a few B graders.
The real story within the story is that we now live in a world where the same agenda driven media whores will write or say anything in order to sell a story. It’s a real blight on their characters, that these ex players, come media experts would rather put attention and small change above their integrity.
That’s my rant.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:57 am

It's all part of the GWS love-in, rewriting the narrative of GWS to attract more fans. FFS Toby Greene's mother was on 7 News last night. There has been a huge PR effort in the media, sanctioned by the AFL, to spruuk the Giants at every chance.

And the very same media were all loving Grundy a week before, declaring him a Brownlow favourite, the greatest ruckman of all time, etc. Now they're showing their true colours, the Collingwood-hating AFL-bribed flogs.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:18 pm

The connection between Grundy and our 'elite' midfielders has been our achilles heal for 2-3 yrs now. Our inability to win centre clearances in particular has been a glaring weakness of ours for quite a while and I for one am sick of it. Maybe we need to thank Robert Harvey for his time with us and recruit a new midfield coach. And while we're at it, maybe do the same with Pebbles too, and get a new ruck coach. One thing's for sure, we can't simply rock up next season and deliver the same stuff. I'm sick of it.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Hit outs are an irrelevant stat these days.... Hit outs to advantage on the other hand......

I wonder how many of those he had? i cant find that stat anywhere.

He's a top line ruckman, but as i said in another thread, i'm not sure how important having an A grade ruckman is to winning games.

If the right offer came along and it meant we ended up with a 25 year old key forward and an 18 year old key forward, you'd seriously considering.

Then pick up a mature 'average' ruckman....

Geez it'd be nice to have Ceglar on our list right about now....

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:31 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The connection between Grundy and our 'elite' midfielders has been our achilles heal for 2-3 yrs now. Our inability to win centre clearances in particular has been a glaring weakness of ours for quite a while and I for one am sick of it. Maybe we need to thank Robert Harvey for his time with us and recruit a new midfield coach. And while we're at it, maybe do the same with Pebbles too, and get a new ruck coach. One thing's for sure, we can't simply rock up next season and deliver the same stuff. I'm sick of it.

There’s definitely room for improvement in the “ hits to advantage “ column considering the number of times he gets first hands to it.
It was interesting hearing Leon Cameron talk about how he nullified our midfield. He went as far to say he was happy to trust both DeBoer and Reid to “ run with “ our TWO most damaging mids at every stoppage.
Dedicating two negating players at stoppages is virtually unheard of, considering plenty clubs don’t even bother with one tagged and would just trust their system.
It was high risk but it worked. We simply couldn’t get the ball into space and move it on our terms.
As many posters have already alluded, the fact that our mids couldn’t work hard enough after a weeks break and against less seasoned opponents is the real indictment on our mids.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Robert Harvey hey...........couldn’t even get the top job at St. Kilda.

Would loved to have been a fly on the wall for his input/thoughts when the 2nd tier GWS midfield deployed 2 taggers last Saturday.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:12 pm

Grundy gets a lot of hitouts that land at his feet, never been much for hitting midfielders on the chest with quality taps, just about getting the stats up.

Maybe its why he gets so many, opposition ruckmen know they don't have to compete too hard as he won't damage you with 60 hitouts. There were countless examples where the midfield went left and Grundy hit it to the right...

Also for a big man, he has never been capable of going forward and being a target
BigKeyForward 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:17 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Grundy gets a lot of hitouts that land at his feet, never been much for hitting midfielders on the chest with quality taps, just about getting the stats up.

Maybe its why he gets so many, opposition ruckmen know they don't have to compete too hard as he won't damage you with 60 hitouts. There were countless examples where the midfield went left and Grundy hit it to the right...

Also for a big man, he has never been capable of going forward and being a target

These are the reasons I would trade Grundy now.

Twice against the Bulldogs, Grundys ruck dominance against English did not translate

And 20 goals in 3 years? And he is trying to get near a Million a year???

Should have just kept Witts if we knew Grundy was going to go all "Hollywood" on us

spirit-of-alby 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:44 pm

There is a difference between arguing the Grundy is or is not a good ruckman, and considering whether the team would be better off with a different ruckman and better players where is counts: inside kids and key forwards.

The last few years has shown that having a great ruckman is not necessary to win a flag.

Whilst it would be great to keep Grundy AND get more midfield and forward talent...that is simply not possible in the salary cap and trade environment.

I think having a key forward and/or another mid is a bigger positive than the negative of losing Grundy.

This years GF teams with a less than average Saldo and a broken down Mumford, or Geelong not having a ruckman for three years, or the Bulldogs winning a flag with a part time ruckman who is now our fullback tells you where we should place our bets.

BigKeyForward 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:00 pm

spirit-of-alby wrote:
There is a difference between arguing the Grundy is or is not a good ruckman, and considering whether the team would be better off with a different ruckman and better players where is counts: inside kids and key forwards.

The last few years has shown that having a great ruckman is not necessary to win a flag.

Whilst it would be great to keep Grundy AND get more midfield and forward talent...that is simply not possible in the salary cap and trade environment.

I think having a key forward and/or another mid is a bigger positive than the negative of losing Grundy.

This years GF teams with a less than average Saldo and a broken down Mumford, or Geelong not having a ruckman for three years, or the Bulldogs winning a flag with a part time ruckman who is now our fullback tells you where we should place our bets.

^
S.O.A

This guy is SPOT on...

Also, has anybody considered he may go to Port? Why does everybody assume just the Crows?

We are being linked with Dougal Howard, hmmm

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Can Grundy become a KPF and play Cox more in the ruck?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
Can Grundy become a KPF and play Cox more in the ruck?

I've proposed this before, play Grundy as ruck-rover at centre bounces, Cox takes the centre bounce ruck, then Cox drifts forward and Grundy rucks around the ground.

With the 6-6-6 at centre bounces, getting clean clearances can set games up.

I wouldn't trade Grundy regardless of how his ruck work is because a) he doesn't get beaten often in the ruck and b) he's basically our best midfielder

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm

BigKeyForward wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

These are the reasons I would trade Grundy now.

Twice against the Bulldogs, Grundys ruck dominance against English did not translate

And 20 goals in 3 years? And he is trying to get near a Million a year???

Should have just kept Witts if we knew Grundy was going to go all "Hollywood" on us

Clearly, your an Adelaide plant or you have no idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: