Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2018 Appreciation thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 pm
Post subject: 2018 Appreciation threadReply with quote

I thought I'd post this now because after tomorrow night the discussion is going to be on something else - hopefully planning for a grand final!

2018, by any reasonable expectation, has been a success. To go from last years disappointment to a prelim has been exceptional, especially when you consider the personnel lost along the way to injury. I've really enjoyed watching some of the mid tier players come along (WHE, Langdon, Philips) and the kids excite (Stephenson, Sier, the father son boys). Grundy and Sidebottom have taken the step to greatness and the team as a whole has played, as all great teams do, much better than the sum of its parts.

Regardless of the result tomorrow I've enjoyed this year thoroughly and I think we're poised for a sustainable period of good football and hopefully success. So while I think we're half a sneaky chance of extending our season tomorrow night, even if we don't I wont be too disappointed and the excitement of 2019 is already building - especially of possibly putting Elliott and Moore into this side. Thanks boys, and thanks Bucks, for 2018; it's been a great ride and here's hoping it can last another two games!

- Ben
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Agree.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Yeah, well said.

It aint over til it's over and we're still a chance, but the journey has been a trip worthy of the price of admission, regardless of the final destination.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Special mention to the three amigos: Crisp, Maynard, Langdon.

Started the year as a pretty decent ordinary player, a promising but unreliable kid pushing for selection, and a mediocre medium defender on the fringe of our 22.

Finished the year as the backbone of a top-4 side's defence. Absolute stars, all three of them. Fanbloodytastic.

The Drooge 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:38 am
Post subject: 2018 - loved it.Reply with quote

What a great bloody year.

Jordy, Wil, Flip, Bruz, JT, Langers, Tay, Ads, Broads, Steveo, Seir, Aishy - everyone improved, took the next natural step that doesn't always come. They are maturing as a group real nice.

The ability to slow the speed of the opposition attack has been a noticeable improvement. Longmuir must be congratulated. I'm most pleased for Bucks. It is a privilege to have a Collingwood person as our head coach and now, having taken us to the prelim, is set to drive this club to it's 16th and record equalling flag. If we knock off the Tigs we will win the flag. Then it's on to 17 and history. If not the future looks pretty pretty good.

Thanks for the year boys. Let's go get a Tiger skin.

[/list]

Pie-For-Life 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:01 am

So agree, it's been a great season. I watch every game, although only got to go the 2 Qld games. Watching the finals I'm Europe. So not a long wait for me when I'm up in the morning. Go Pies I hope we win and get to the big dance, if not I'm still happy with where we are at. I
Pie-For-Life 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:01 am

So agree, it's been a great season. I watch every game, although only got to go the 2 Qld games. Watching the finals I'm Europe. So not a long wait for me when I'm up in the morning. Go Pies I hope we win and get to the big dance, if not I'm still happy with where we are at. I
think better 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:23 am

Yep a great year - but I'm greedy too!

Go Pies - the grand final awaits

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:01 am

It's been an outstanding year, by any measure. I know the club will have expectations greater then mine, but tonight I will watch a game in relatively quiet appreciation. I firmly believe we have the capacity to go all the way, and I'll will it with all my might but, I can't see myself being truly disappointed if the outcome is not in our favour.

Floreat Pica!

Remember2010 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:14 am

Hear hear. I've been proud every week, because they play the Collingwood way and leave it all on the field
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:35 am

Tannin wrote:

Started the year as a pretty decent ordinary player, a promising but unreliable kid pushing for selection, and a mediocre medium defender on the fringe of our 22.

Finished the year as the backbone of a top-4 side's defence. Absolute stars, all three of them. Fanbloodytastic.

I thought that I read somewhere that at the start of the season Champion Data had Crisp ranked in the elite category. Can't remember in which category. Someone may know, or be able to tell me that I am mistaken altogether.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Tannin wrote:

I thought that I read somewhere that at the start of the season Champion Data had Crisp ranked in the elite category. Can't remember in which category. Someone may know, or be able to tell me that I am mistaken altogether.

At the beginning of this season, C D had Crisp rated as elite for a general defender. Their ratings are based against all other general defenders in the comp with a similar age and games played profile.
It’s interesting to note that in our last two games, the opposition has sent defensive forwards to him ( Cripps and DeBoer ) That’s usually a fair indication of their importance.

F W I W, Langdon was ranked as above average and Maynard as average.
Maynard’s rating will increase and I’m not sure how they will review Tommy at the end of the season ( either the same or elevated to elite ? )
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:41 am

Seems a bit early to be signing off on the season.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Tannin wrote:

I ranked him high - always been a Crisp fan. (Sometimes you like the cut of a player's jib the first time you see him.) But I didn't realise that there was more general agreement on it. All good.

Having said that, Crisp was obviously the best of the three at the start of the year, and the only one who could be certain of selection every week. Just the same, he has come on nicely. This year we have seen a bit less of the dashing half-back Crisp (or perhaps just come to expect that as routine and notice it less) and a bit more classic old-style defending from him as he matures. His strong marking in particular has been very impressive.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Tannin wrote:

Absolutely, and Maynard was a gun by his 10th game. Had super-star tattoed on his head. Everyone makes disposal errors, he has the courage to go for it and elite skills to pull it off most of the time. No-one is perfect let alone a 19yo kid being the enforcer of the greatest club in the land.
Langdon was playing patches of elite footy as a puppy and then has some serious injury setbacks.

Remember every win mattered this year so Dunne's form and Shazza's contribution was critical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: