Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bucks 2018 success already better than Hafey's of 1977

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

uncanny wrote:
I beg to differ. The comparison is not odious but good to reflect upon.
Both rises up the ladder were significant and unexpected.
In both cases the playing groups didn't change much apart from the influx of a first year player that had a great impact. In 77 it was Ricky Barham and this year it has been Jayden Stephenson.
in Hafey's case the improvement was due to getting fair dinkum about training for fitness and toughness as well as a breath of fresh air. The past was stifling the club and Tom was the first non Collingwood person to coach them. The symbolism was there. Shape up or ship out. The players bought in and nearly got the flag as a result.
The comparison to this year is interesting. The head coach is the same but it was interesting to read Brayden Maynard last week in interview heaping praise on Justin Longmuir, new to the club this year, for being the driver of implementing a defensive plan. In Brayden's mind this was a "shambles" in previous years. This, together with Buddah Hocking and the system review has led to a coaching change which I believe is equivalent to Hafey coming in. The "breath of fresh air" this year hasn't been the decobwebing of tradition and photos on the walls but a renewed "where in it together, "nothing else matters mantra". Nathan has lost the "Harry high shorts" head prefect noble soldier persona and instead is walking side by side with his players as a big brother, father figure. it's on a par I reckon with the climb of 77 but it promises to be even better. Exciting times ahead.,,,

Didn't the WA recruits Magro and Worthington start in 77 as well, and McCormack recommence after breaking his leg the year before?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Magro certainly did. I was at his debut at the Junction Oval in the middle of the season.
Sensible Jay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 am

Not quite. At the start of 1977, the club was a basket case. We did bloody well to come second that year. Tom Hafey truly knew how to get the best out of an average list. This year, Nathan Buckley had his first decent season. Well, the first season that he knew what he is doing as a coach. He’s got a great list of players. On the other hand, he’s gotten the best out of the average players in the team and that is sometimes the difference between victory and defeat.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 pm

Sensible Jay wrote:
Not quite. At the start of 1977, the club was a basket case. We did bloody well to come second that year. Tom Hafey truly knew how to get the best out of an average list. This year, Nathan Buckley had his first decent season. Well, the first season that he knew what he is doing as a coach. He’s got a great list of players. On the other hand, he’s gotten the best out of the average players in the team and that is sometimes the difference between victory and defeat.

1977 wasn’t an average list. And the last quarter of that drawn final is the worst thing I have ever witnessed. Worse than 1970 by a considerable margin. How do you have a team with a forward line boasting Dunne, Kink, Moore (at his absolute goal kicking peak), Wayne Richardson, Ray Shaw and Anderson and kick only 10 goals for the game (the season average, including that debacle, was 16.17)? Plenty of other Collingwood greats in that team - Thompson, Maxy Richardson, Picken, Wearmouth etc etc. How do you not beat a team that cannot kick a goal for 75 minutes of game time? How do you beat the only viable competition in the second semi, gain the week’s rest while your Grand Final opponent plays on your week off and then run out of puff when it matters, against a team that wasn’t even considered a serious chance?

I’m tired of the Hafey worship. He was solid enough but, for us, useless when it mattered, despite the Club’s indulgence of his recruiting requirements. 5 times in 5 years. Get a grip - for all of Buckley’s deficits, he doesn’t yet have a record of leading us into the Valley of Public Embarrassment on the Big Stage.

For me, so far, 2018 is much less upsetting than 1977, on the whole, if only because our team has about half that talent and the year hasn’t yet ended. Whether it’s a good season depends upon whether we manage to end our year without being dismally uncompetitive when it matters.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 am

'77 was one of the three greatest sporting events of all time. Get over it.

The other two were the epic last-ditch comeback of the New York Mets to defeat the Boston Red Sox in the 1986 World Series, and the impossible two-day last stand between Border and Thommo in the 1982 Boxing Day Test - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujwjqIldwU and https://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature/allan-border-jeff-thomson-last-stand-mcg-boxing-day-test-198283-england-australia/2017-12-26

(Some people say that other sporting events rival these three. Nonsense. I didn't see the other ones, so obviously they weren't as good.)

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 am

As a Collingwood supporter, it was the most pathetic choke I have ever witnessed. Just an ambarrassing spectacle.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
As a Collingwood supporter, it was the most pathetic choke I have ever witnessed. Just an ambarrassing spectacle.

For whatever reason we just weren't able to beat North in those days. They had our measure. I think that you are under rating them. Their squad from about 73 to 80 contained some of the game's all time greats which was reflected in their performance. And, I hated them then and still do.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Our record against North between 1973-1980 is 9 wins, 1 draw, 13 losses.

After the drawn Grand Final, we lost the next 7 matches to them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: