Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Morrison Muppets rush announcement before 4 Corners!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

They need standardized nurse to patient staffing ratios with more trained nurses, diversional therapists, etc. The last official workforce review showed they are 3.5 billion underfunded in staffing hours. This needs to be done now before the Royal Commission commences as there would be bipartisan support for this.

This would take the staffing to basic levels expected in any other provision of care according to the head of the aged care workforce comittee who preivded advise to the Libs some time go and twhich Morrison released on Sunday (prepempting the 4 corners report). Heard him on radion antional at lunchtime today.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 am

How are nurses made accountable for their actions? What happens if an inmate or the inmate's family makes a complaint?

The publicised videotaped guy who beat the inmate has been sacked, but will he be charged with assault?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:58 am

Complaints processes would vary between organisations, dependant on their size, type and structure.

For the Police to lay charges, there needs to be a complaint laid by either the victim or their family.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:28 am

stui magpie wrote:
Complaints processes would vary between organisations, dependant on their size, type and structure.

For the Police to lay charges, there needs to be a complaint laid by either the victim or their family.
People do not make formal complaints as they are worried they will lose their bed and will not be able to find another one. Beds in Aged care homes are hard to come by. It's a one in and one out process. One Dies a new one arrives.

My thoughts are what the result will of the RC will be.
Staff are not being paid enough and you pay peanuts you know what you get. Staff accreditation in most cases will be shonky as the RTO's are just passing people for money. How does someone pass when they cannot speak basic English? Nurse to staff ratios are crap, nurse to patient ratios are even worse. Food budgets are a joke. Staff not trained in mental issues (people live longer now and stay at home, they only go into aged care when they physically and mentally cannot cope). The result will be higher prices for care as these business will have to simply pay more in remuneration to more qualified people as the sector will not reduce their mega profit margins they will just charge more. The Government will have to increase funding, will the taxpayer pay more tax?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am

You can't live without food.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am

The link WPT gave in the OP does not work, but here is the video:

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/four-corners/series/2018/video/NC1803H032S00
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Morrison's three part plan for the future:

(1) Gut the aged-care sector with $1,600,000,000 in cuts while he was Treasurer.

(2) Realise that Four Corners is about to expose him. Panic and announce an enquiry.

(3) Facing an election, realise that he has no future.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Culprit wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

People do not make formal complaints as they are worried they will lose their bed and will not be able to find another one. Beds in Aged care homes are hard to come by. It's a one in and one out process. One Dies a new one arrives.

My thoughts are what the result will of the RC will be.
Staff are not being paid enough and you pay peanuts you know what you get. Staff accreditation in most cases will be shonky as the RTO's are just passing people for money. How does someone pass when they cannot speak basic English? Nurse to staff ratios are crap, nurse to patient ratios are even worse. Food budgets are a joke. Staff not trained in mental issues (people live longer now and stay at home, they only go into aged care when they physically and mentally cannot cope). The result will be higher prices for care as these business will have to simply pay more in remuneration to more qualified people as the sector will not reduce their mega profit margins they will just charge more. The Government will have to increase funding, will the taxpayer pay more tax?

i was on good friendly terms with the second in charge and the ladies in the front office, I did complain, and i was asked to make a statement to the manager, and the state manager, and i did. I wrote and read 2 pages. Basically on the lack of care factor from some staff, and changes did get made. Yes i worried what might be happening in retaliation, but i couldnt stand by and watch what I did see and not speak up. I fully believe that what goes on behind closed doors is always worse than what you see in public. The worst offender got transferred out, I never saw her again. I also got the way meals were dished up changed, and simple things like a boiled egg every day for breakfast if thats what the resident wants, even if its not on the scheduled menu.

I do wish now i had of thought to install a camera, and I am considering it for my FIL. I spent an hour and a half with him yesterday, and it broke my heart. He is just shutting down. On Sunday there was 4 of us there, and we all felt the same, he seemed disorientated. Im going to suggest my SIL check his meds sheet when the bill comes.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:38 pm

You can't live without food.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:48 pm

K wrote:
How are nurses made accountable for their actions? What happens if an inmate or the inmate's family makes a complaint?

The publicised videotaped guy who beat the inmate has been sacked, but will he be charged with assault?

I called them inmates and my SILs were horrified! But hey, it seems like prison.

1stly, most staff are not nurses, the guy you saw was probably an orderly, or what ever they are called, someone who has done a 12 week Tafe course (thats what they said on the program).

Lack of training, in the first home very low understanding of the English language, I have not come across that in this home, thankfully. Im sure a lot of it comes form disillusionment too, I like to think that most would go into the job with a fair level of compassion, but then the ridiculous expectations soon dissolve that. simply put no where near enough staff. They said they get just 6 min to get a resident up out of bed, showered and dressed. When you have residents who cannot do any of that for themselves, thats just not physically possible.

They spoke to a nurse who said She had time to treat each patient, but there was never time for reassurance, or even a friendly hello. If you have ever been scared in a hospital environment, you know how important that part can be. She said so many nurses just get burnt out.

I approached staff in my FIL home when i realized they had female attendants showering him and dressing him. So i requested nicely (and delivered a pack of muffins at the same time) if it would be possible to please have a male orderly do this as much as possible as My FIL had said it embarrassed him. They made a note of it, and once actually apologized to me that it hadnt been possible that day.

partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:35 pm

TP - checking the medication is one of the most effective things a relative can do when they are concerned about their loved one. If you know a good pharmacist they will do it. Also a urine test checking for the dreaded UTI. Some places do it routinely to keep an eye on things.

The best run nursing home in my area is independent not for profit, they make sure every resident gets enough exposure to sunlight every day, something not done in a lot of other places. Recent research suggests dementia symptoms are worse in winter and early spring, suggesting to me something simple and easily remedied like lack of sunlight or vitamin d may be a factor.

Not calculated in all the discussion about nursing homes is the impact on the health of residents relatives trying to cope with the bullying when they suggest things aren't right. It often turns out the relative is right but is no consolation. I still experience terrible feelings of anguish when I think of the last year of my mothers life.

Friends working in the sector are thrilled about the announcement of the royal commission. It has been mentioned since the 70s so its about time! The training required to upgrade the skills of carers is not all that onerous. I hope to see that one of the outcomes is that staff are required to upgrade their skills on a regular basis.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 pm

partypie wrote:
TP - checking the medication is one of the most effective things a relative can do when they are concerned about their loved one. If you know a good pharmacist they will do it. Also a urine test checking for the dreaded UTI. Some places do it routinely to keep an eye on things.

The best run nursing home in my area is independent not for profit, they make sure every resident gets enough exposure to sunlight every day, something not done in a lot of other places. Recent research suggests dementia symptoms are worse in winter and early spring, suggesting to me something simple and easily remedied like lack of sunlight or vitamin d may be a factor.

Not calculated in all the discussion about nursing homes is the impact on the health of residents relatives trying to cope with the bullying when they suggest things aren't right. It often turns out the relative is right but is no consolation. I still experience terrible feelings of anguish when I think of the last year of my mothers life.

Friends working in the sector are thrilled about the announcement of the royal commission. It has been mentioned since the 70s so its about time! The training required to upgrade the skills of carers is not all that onerous. I hope to see that one of the outcomes is that staff are required to upgrade their skills on a regular basis.

Me too mate, its almost like PTSD sometimes, I dont think i will ever get past it. I know I did my best at the time, but still, if only I could have done more... And certainly some of the anxiety came from having to speak up about lack of care, and some abuse at the time.

The lack of sunlight/Vit D just turned on a light bulb. I took my FIL out yesterday but it was freezing, not very appealing in the grounds, so we were only out there while he drank his beer. Im going to buy some of those Vit D Lollies for him, (i get them and other vitamins for hubby, the only way he will eat them!!) and tell my sister in laws to give him one when they visit. thanks for that. And ill get a copy of his meds and show my doc next time i visit. and ill google before that!! cheers

saw this on facebook, sounds like a good thing:
https://975wcos.iheart.com/content/2018-08-24-grandson-invents-way-to-hydrate-dementia-patients-to-help-his-granny/

Apart from increased training, a lot of staff need an injection of care factor - i dont know, maybe a few days on the other end of it!

Last edited by think positive on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Tannin wrote:
Morrison's three part plan for the future:

(1) Gut the aged-care sector with $1,600,000,000 in cuts while he was Treasurer.

(2) Realise that Four Corners is about to expose him. Panic and announce an enquiry.

(3) Facing an election, realise that he has no future.

David posted a Crikey article of page 1 that debunks that. They did not cut funding.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Of course they did. No-one should be in the least surprised by that. Cutting essential services is in their DNA.

The Parliamentary Library itself says "The combined affect of aged care measures in the 2016-17 budget is a reduction in expenditure of $902.7 million over five years."

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:40 pm

You must be reading a different bit of the library to the guy from Crikey then,

Here's david's post, my bolding.

David wrote:
This is interesting, by the way a rejoinder against some of the politicking around this issue:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2018/09/17/morrison-is-right-on-aged-care-funding-reports-of-cuts-are-fiction/

Quote:
Morrison is right on aged care funding: reports of cuts are fiction
Bernard Keane

Lets hit the nail on the head early on a key claim that is already being widely circulated about the aged care sector. Its one that is likely to continue to be spread despite the governments efforts to get ahead of Four Corners tonight with a preemptive royal commission. And its completely wrong: this government did not cut $1.2 billion from aged care funding.

Its pretty easy to check. In Labors last budget in 2013, residential care funding as distinct from home or community or flexible care, the other categories of aged care funding was $8.3 billion and forecast to rise to $10.1 billion in 2016-17. The 2017-18 budget shows how much funding the Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison/watch-this-space government actually spent on residential care in 2016-17: $10.9 billion. That is, the Coalition spend nearly $1 billion more than Labor forecast. And that rose to $11.4 billion in the year just ended.

This years budget papers annoyingly combine residential and home care numbers (a key strategy in aged care is keeping people out of residential care and in their own homes as long as possible), but the combined total still increases by another $800 million this year.

No cut. Of any kind. Zero. Zip. Nada.

The cut allegedly made by the Coalition was in the 2015 Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook and the 2016 budget, which totaled $1.67 billion. The Parliamentary Library describes it here. That was a change to the Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI), which is the assessment tool used to determine which care category residents fall into and therefore how much subsidy the government provides for their care. It accounts for the bulk of residential aged care spending. Who makes the ACFI assessments on which subsidies are based? Residential care providers.

If you havent spotted the flaw in that system merely from the description of it, I have a Harbour Bridge-shaped nursing home to sell you. ACFI was being rorted by for-profit residential care providers by assessing people into more expensive categories than they needed to be. Moreover, they boasted about how much money they were making from it to investors. So the government stepped in and curbed the dramatic growth in ACFI funding. Ending rorting is not cutting funding.

Prior to 2016, aged care funding was a rare area of bipartisanship: the Gillard government had significantly altered aged care funding in the wake of the Productivity Commissions 2011 report. Unusually, Tony Abbott declined to exploit the issue politically, in effect creating a unity ticket with Labor going into the 2013 election.

As Michael Pascoe noted in 2016, the entire model of aged care funding is problematic when it provides incentives for providers not to improve the condition of their clients but simply meet minimum standards. Sure, nearly everyone who enters a nursing home is not looking at recovery and departure back into independent or assisted living, but there are a wide range of conditions experienced by the elderly that affect quality of life and remaining longevity and which are not amenable to a funding model that pays providers more the sicker they get.

That is, whatever the crimes, misconduct and corporate evil practised by individuals, non-profit and for-profit providers in the sector, the real issues are likely to be systemic and structural in nature every bit as much as failures of quality regulation processes, workforce problems and individual training, accreditation and remuneration practices.

All of these issues have been repeatedly addressed by inquiries over the last 20 years. How a royal commission, especially one adopting a highly legalistic approach, will add to the accumulated wisdom of parliamentary committees, eminent-person reviews and regular bureaucratic monitoring isnt at all clear. But the fact that Scott Morrison spent much of his media conference announcing a royal commission having to refute the funding cut lie doesnt augur well for a return to bipartisanship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: