Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Morrison Muppets rush announcement before 4 Corners!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Good article, thanks for that.

So, as is often the case, it's not a lack of funding but potentially how it's allocated.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:30 pm

David wrote:
It's all pretty sad. I hope that, with nine kids, my parents at least will have somewhere decent to stay in their later years. To think that this is the fate that awaits most of us...

There was a time i considered bringing my mum home, but it just wasnt possible. Her body quit, first a frame, then for the last 12 months a wheel chair (I got her a really nice comfortable air chair as they had her all day in a small portable fold able crappy chair), and then add dementia to that, where in the end She only recognized me occasionally, and no one else at all.

Now My father in law is in care, he has dementia, he only has 10 % of sight left, and needs help with dressing and showering. And hes a big man. When the weather improves we will put a bed downstairs and I will bring him home 1 night a week, but we will need to lock him in as he keeps trying to go walkabout. I will let the staff know when im coming so they bathe him, ill bring him home in the afternoon, keep him overnight and take him back after breakfast. That is all I think i can manage. You can spend an hour with him and have the same conversation "'what are you doing for christmas, how is your team going, how are the kids, are you going camping this year" 4 or 5 times. its really really sad. The good thing is Hubby has 2 sisters, and we communicate well, so there is 4 of us sharing the load ( I get along really well with my father in law so I visit at least twice a week on my own) and we let each other know, so someone sees him everyday. I take him in a beer or two, (and sometimes the puppy, all the residents love that) and ive been slowly working through his life with my mother in law, as his long term memory is fully intact.

It would be awesome if we could all share the load and have him at home, but its just not possible and will only get worse. I know, ive done it before, and it is heart breaking and soul destroying.

as others have said, I just dont want that, I always thought id hang on to my very last breath as long as I could for those seconds with my children, but i wouldnt put them through it. its torture.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 pm

well that made me laugh! My dad just rang, (that's rare in itself!) said make sure you watch four corners tonight, I said yeah i saw the preview, it brought back some horrible memories and he says "yeah well i just wanna make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me!!"''
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 pm

think positive wrote:
well that made me laugh! My dad just rang, (that's rare in itself!) said make sure you watch four corners tonight, I said yeah i saw the preview, it brought back some horrible memories and he says "yeah well i just wanna make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me!!"''

You could take him in a bottle of Kero and a face washer............... Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Good article, thanks for that.

So, as is often the case, it's not a lack of funding but potentially how it's allocated.

Yes and no.

The allocation is certainly an issue as less flexibility has made it very hard. However this issue is the base on which it is funded in the first place. That is a massive unders by both major political parties.

Cheers. WPT

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 pm

^

Maybe.

Bureaucrats design funding models to drive particular behaviour much like a sales incentive plan. Funding models are very different in Acute health, to mental health and aged resi care and each clearly has weaknesses. The people designing them rarely consider the unintended consequences until they become apparent.

Aged care is a growth industry in an ageing population and will need regularly increased funding, but the bucket of money isn't a magic pudding so they need to make sure the funding models are really driving the desired behaviour before tipping more money in.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

You could take him in a bottle of Kero and a face washer............... Wink

Meh, he already says when the time comes he wants to g9 bush near my sisters! I should pass his message on t9 them! Maybe he called them too!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:51 pm

^

Just buy a caravan and take it up to their place.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm

The problem is kids chucking their parents in the shittest, cheapest place and waiting for their inheritance; not wanting it eaten away by fees. If people weren't such pricks then the shit places would go out of business because nobody would put their parents in them.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Maybe.

Bureaucrats design funding models to drive particular behaviour much like a sales incentive plan. Funding models are very different in Acute health, to mental health and aged resi care and each clearly has weaknesses. The people designing them rarely consider the unintended consequences until they become apparent.

Aged care is a growth industry in an ageing population and will need regularly increased funding, but the bucket of money isn't a magic pudding so they need to make sure the funding models are really driving the desired behaviour before tipping more money in.

No iffs, buts or maybes about it. It is chronically and acutely underfunded. What did occur under Abbott was de-regulation and the payment system squeezing out the Non profit sector in favour of industry based (read health insurance funded models). That invariably sets the profit motive.

What Morrison has done is great but what both political parties have not done is stick to enacting previous research and review findings which would have made the proposed RC redundant. "Yes Minister" all over again.

I think I'll put it under "active consideration" Minister when the recomendations come out.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Wokko wrote:
The problem is kids chucking their parents in the shittest, cheapest place and waiting for their inheritance; not wanting it eaten away by fees. If people weren't such pricks then the shit places would go out of business because nobody would put their parents in them.

Not quite so simple obviously but yeah there is too much of that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Out in Ringwood, I learned the term "Granny dumping" from a snr ED person several years ago.

Apparently the routine would be, the family is going on holidays with the kids, so they'd pull up outside the ED and wheel Granny in. She'd be admitted and they'd piss off on holidays with Granny unable to go home til they got back.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Yes and no. Isnt there a set schedule now?

My mum was in Willi hospital and desperate to get out, I visited four places, the one I wanted didnt have a bed, I took the second choice, and the year she was in low care was great, she got used to it and liked it, plenty to do, people to talk to, (just forget that she chucked a live ciggie in the gas bottle room to prevent getting caught with it, and then chucked a cuppa at some other poor woman! Someone made the comment earlier about roles reversing and getting called into the head master, oh yeah I get that!). When she got moved to high care, that where the shit began. I spent a year demanding and fighting for change, most of which happened, ended up in hospital myself I got so stressed. It was a nightmare.

We checked out 2 for my inlaws, I wanted a small one in altona north, it had the bedroom around a central living area in the dementia ward, and was easy for staff to keep an eye on everyone, and obviously harder to get away with stuff. My sister in laws picked one in point cook, (Im guessing the fact its central to all of us had a bit to do with it) and its like a hotel. Just beautiful. In fortunately IMO. the like a hotel bit is whats wrong with it. Long hallways branching off, its so quiet, and staff dont seem to make many rounds of the joint. My father in law is upstairs, where the more restricted, less active, patients seem to be, and downstairs is only accessible by a lift, which obviously staff have to key for the residents. Downstairs is a little more lively. But not by much. A hotel is fine, but who wants to live in a hotel? Its always good to get home. And its just not homely.

Hubby now agrees with me, but I cant see change happening. Before they went in there I said my piece, but well its not my dad, so its not up to me. I reckon hes bored stupid.

As for the staff, from what Ive seen so far, Im pretty impressed. They all seem caring. They try. But its a big place over 120 inmates. The other had 60.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Out in Ringwood, I learned the term "Granny dumping" from a snr ED person several years ago.

Apparently the routine would be, the family is going on holidays with the kids, so they'd pull up outside the ED and wheel Granny in. She'd be admitted and they'd piss off on holidays with Granny unable to go home til they got back.

They have respite care now yeah!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Just buy a caravan and take it up to their place.

We have one, hes not getting it, they have a unit, once the tornado damage of the main house gets fixed he can have the unit! Thats wot I told them anyway! They have a big pig shed too. After the state of his place ....

Hopefully he stays in the retirement village for, well, ever would do it! Ill visit when we take the race car up there later this year. Hopefully he wont have pissed everyone off yet! Pretty sad, but he made his bed a long time ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: