Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Prelim. Pies v. Tigers - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

People comparing this game to 07 are forgetting a ln important piece of info. Geelong has not yet made a GF let alone won one, so they were nervy as all F. Richmond made a GF last year, and won the premiership. The same level of fear does not exist. Its merely underdog vs unbackable favourite, and thats where the similarities end. Modern football has too much structure and systems for a top tier team to simply be challenged on fear of losing alone. Its gonna take one out of the box to get the job done.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I guess I'm almost always a glass half full kinda guy, and that's just the way I roll. But even taking that into account, when I look at the Richmond team and then at ours, I can't help thinking we are a much better team. I honestly think that had we not been cruelled by so many injuries to key players this year, we would have finished top of the ladder. ...

If we remove all injuries, maybe GWS would have. Or maybe not. The fact is: we still have injuries (though not as many), and Richmond still don't (almost). Many teams, if injury-free, would be better than Richmond, whose success is a blight on the game.

Raw Hammer wrote:
... Its merely underdog vs unbackable favourite, and thats where the similarities end. Modern football has too much structure and systems for a top tier team to simply be challenged on fear of losing alone. Its gonna take one out of the box to get the job done.

I don't think they're unbackable favourites. The line, last time I saw it, was just a bit over two goals.... Update: on sportsbet, it's currently a bit more than that: +16.5. (And sb are giving 1.38 for Rich. For the other game, the line is a mere 2.5.)

Last edited by K on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 pm

What about the punter who put $38,000 on the Tigers at $1.42
Hope he knows how to lay off.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Maybe he singlehandedly brought it down to 1.38.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:16 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
What about the punter who put $38,000 on the Tigers at $1.42
Hope he knows how to lay off.

If you can afford to bet that kind of money on a 2 horse race, you don't need to lay off.

If you can't afford it but you did it, you're a dickhead.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:17 pm

B T. W - is it just me or does this seem like our best team we have had on the park since around ANZAC day.
Goldy not missing a beat has really helped. Sier has proved his worth and DeGoey has really arrived.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:20 pm

^ I was hoping it'd be the best team on the park all year. I hope Sier is fine. The small emergencies really don't inspire confidence.

On betting: TAB has the same odds and same line. Is that normal?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
People comparing this game to 07 are forgetting a ln important piece of info. Geelong has not yet made a GF let alone won one, so they were nervy as all F. Richmond made a GF last year, and won the premiership. The same level of fear does not exist. Its merely underdog vs unbackable favourite, and thats where the similarities end. Modern football has too much structure and systems for a top tier team to simply be challenged on fear of losing alone. Its gonna take one out of the box to get the job done.

I don't believe that uncritical historical analogies can be accepted, and i understand your attitude. However, you are forgetting the factor of pressure on the Premiers to prove that they are again the best. They don't have the Geelong style fear, but they have the weight of all expectations burdening their shoulders. If Dusty is unfit, and unable to contest at full strength, and our midfield gets a stranglehold, we can get these bastards. If we can get on top early, they will struggle with the concept that they "should" win this, but are in danger of not. Their fanbase, demanding back to back, puts a massive psychological pressure on them. I think, from the psychological point of view, I would rather be us than them.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
B T. W - is it just me or does this seem like our best team we have had on the park since around ANZAC day.
Goldy not missing a beat has really helped. Sier has proved his worth and DeGoey has really arrived.

Agree. Not our best 22 ever, since Linden Dunn is missing from the defence, and Jamie Elliott from F50, Billy's particiopation never occurred this year in any case. You must also add in the factor of the development and improvement of so many of our players. I agree...this team is virtually the strongest we have fielded all year, and is in form. Our guys also believe.
This game does not so much remind me of 2007, but much more of 2016. Go Pies!!

K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:48 pm

If only we could have even last year's Jamie out there...
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

I don't believe that uncritical historical analogies can be accepted, and i understand your attitude. However, you are forgetting the factor of pressure on the Premiers to prove that they are again the best. They don't have the Geelong style fear, but they have the weight of all expectations burdening their shoulders. If Dusty is unfit, and unable to contest at full strength, and our midfield gets a stranglehold, we can get these bastards. If we can get on top early, they will struggle with the concept that they "should" win this, but are in danger of not. Their fanbase, demanding back to back, puts a massive psychological pressure on them. I think, from the psychological point of view, I would rather be us than them.

I agree theres the burden of expectation, but I dont want people to simply point to history as a saving grace as to why we might win. Richmond have defeated all comers all year (at the MCG) and will play with flair and dare from HB if they get on top early. If its not a grind until and after half time, we could be in for a rude awakening.

Dont get me wrong, we can do this, but its gonna take EVERYTHING from EVERYBODY.

Flag_It 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 pm
Post subject: trying to sell tickets at cost for frid night prelimReply with quote

I have 2 ticketed seats for Friday night's final; 1 adult and 1 concession. Seats are not together but 1 bay apart.
Wishing to trade/swap for something of similar value.

Last edited by Flag_It on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 pm

I have reported this to the mods. Whether they report it to the police is up to them. Make yourself scarce chum.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:51 am

What I dont like is that in a two horse race we have been getting 90% of the media attention. I recall 1980 was the same led by a certain anti-Collingwood sports Journo, Geoff Slattery of the Age.

Slattery went on to open Slatterys restaurant for some fine dining. Back in the 1980s when Fitzroy were Vic Park tenants and in the midst / post the Collingwood-Richmond player cross exodus when neither the pies nor fitzroy were doing too well Slattery suggested that Collingwood and Fitzroy should merge.

In response local writer/poet/playwright Barry Dickens (royboy) wrting his weekly column in the outer in The Melbourne Weekly replied to Slattery s suggestion that his fine dining restaurant should merge with Twins Hamburger joint in Lygon Street Carlton 😊

I suppose this is a prelim not a GF.

Then again former NSW Premier Jack Lang once told a future PM a young Paul Keating that in a two horse race: always back self-interest.

Go Pies

K 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:05 am

^ Perhaps, but on the injury front all the media coverage has been on Rich., although we of course are the ones with all the injuries. Rich. have not handled the Martin saga well, keeping it on the front page for days. They've also been criticized by the (self-interested, of course) media for shutting themselves off, unlike Melb. & Coll. The AFL's own journos on afl.com.au have demanded the AFL force clubs to give access to their players.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24   

Jump to: