Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Prelim. Pies v. Tigers - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes since last time:

IN: Treloar, DeGoey, Sier, Goldsack, Aish, Howe*, Mihocek**

OUT: Scharenberg, Moore, Daicos, Brown

* Injured first quarter, didnt return
*** Injured (ankle) second quarter, restricted, played defence second half

Richmond new since last game: Houli and Conca (both important players)

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Changes since last time:

Don't know about you Hammer, but methinks we're looking much stronger on paper than we did Round 19.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:51 pm

SwansWay wrote:

Now add Treloar, Sier, De Goey, Howe and Goldsack into the mix, a team identity that was only nascent in the earlier half of the season, plus a finals win under our belt and I would say we're a much stronger position than each of the last two games for myriad reasons. In effect Richmond will have played three very different looking Collingwood sides in 2018. Whereas Richmond has been the same full strength side all season.

Agreed. You would have to think that with these inclusions we would easily be more than 28 points better side. 29 points better will do!

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Changes since last time:

** Injured (ankle) second quarter, restricted, played defence second half

Don't know about you Hammer, but methinks we're looking much stronger on paper than we did Round 19.

Yup. And without sounding insensitive to a guy who has just done his third ACL, Schazs lack of speed is probably not required vs a fleet footed forward line like Richmonds.

Having said that, Richmond are brutal at pincishing mistakes, and we make a lot, so it kinda evens itself out a little.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Changes since last time:

The paper is stronger.

Mihocek was too injured to play but needed to be on the gound in the last game.

Dusty went forward after being well "manned" by Greenwood and tore Greenwood / us apart in the forward line in the last quarter.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:39 pm

watt price tully wrote:
SwansWay wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Changes since last time:

The paper is stronger.

Mihocek was too injured to play but needed to be on the gound in the last game.

Dusty went forward after being well "manned" by Greenwood and tore Greenwood / us apart in the forward line in the last quarter.

It's not that impressive to tear us apart when we were two defenders down. That would be like them losing Rance and Grimes. If Howe and Shazz weren't injured, I doubt Levi would've gone to the last line with him. At that point the levees had burst, leaving only one Levi left Laughing
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:57 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
We'll shit it in.

OK I will bite !! Look, I keep thinking, over and over, that we have had only 6 days rest, compared to Tigers two whole weeks, they have to be fresher, surely ?? In a tight and tough game, red hot go by us, is it logical to think, we may tire out towards the end, and they win by about 11 points or so ??

So, tell me, not just you, others here too, please tell me at least 3 good reasons as to why we should de rail the Tiger train. ????

HOW are we going to shit it in, please explain, anybody ???? Surprised Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 pm

^ There is the old bye curse to contend with. Honestly, I have no idea whether a week off is supposed to be good or not; teams seem to lose the week after at least as often as they win following a mid-season bye. True that top teams usually win prelims, but that could just be because they're the better team and have other benefits like home-ground advantage.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 pm

^ We have at least three players that are pretty fresh after missing lots and lots of footy. But really who knows what's of more benefit. Lots of conjecture and nobody can supply any concrete examples of why 6 days / 14 days off is better or worse. They could be fresher or rusty. We could have more momentum or get tired after 3/4.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Pendles said he would much rather the preparation we have had than Richmond have had. He said it would have been great to beat Wet Toast and go straight through, but in preparing now for a prelim, prefers our prep having played in the last couple of weeks -v- only playing one game in 3 weeks.

It certainly will help Treloar, Goldy and Howe to have those games under their belt, and as for being fresh... all finals clubs have had a week off. 2 games after a week off and a 6 day break is still fresher than the mid season grind...
lanstro 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

It may not have looked it, but after watching the replay again, last week was actually probably close to as well as this team can realistically perform in a final. It had free-flowing bits like the start of the first and last quarters, and it had armwrestles in the middle quarters. We performed fairly well in both phases of the game. Most of the guys played well, and the ones who didn't still weren't terrible. Kick a bit straighter and that form would trouble anyone.

With drier weather and our otherwise good accuracy this year, I would expect the goalkicking to sort itself out. If we're that inaccurate again we're obviously going to be stuffed.

As for specific players who are going to be key:
* This is the acid test for Stevo. He's the rising star, has played every game, and outperformed any reasonable expectation for a first year player. He's already crossed the finish line of expectations long ago. But to win, we need just a little bit more from him. He has been quiet for the finals, and also last time against the tigers. His frame isn't ready for these toughest of games yet, but he still needs to find a way to sneak in a goal or two and have an impact.
* The Captain is not quite his usual self. 25 disposals and 11 tackles last week show that he's being productive as an inside mid, but to win I think we'd need to see at least a couple of trademark matrix moments into a pinpoint pass to a leading forward I50, and hopefully a goal too.
* Goldsack's got his biggest task so far ahead of him. Kennedy was rusty after an injury layoff, GWS didn't get much supply into their F50 anyway, Riewoldt will be a huge step up. We'll need Goldie at his best.
* Cox has kicked 2 goals in each of the games against Richmond this year. To win we're going to need that again, plus the general influence he displayed against GWS.
* What I call our 'baseline' players need to keep performing near their best. Most (but not all) are role players, and these guys who pretty reliably give us a 7-9 out of 10 performance week in week out. Sidey, Langdon, Varcoe, Maynard, Thomas, Mihocek, Adams, Phillips, Crisp, Greenwood, Aish, Mayne. The last few dipped below that standard last week and we need them to rally. Need one or two of this bunch to give us a 9 or 10 out of 10.
* A couple of our x-factors need to fire (again). Apart from the ones I've called out already above: JDG - you had a great game, but a return of 3.2 from 7 shots at goal can be better. WHE and Treloar need to clone their last quarters and do it for at least 2 quarters this week, and Treloar also needs to kick at least one of the ones that he missed.

Last edited by lanstro on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
We'll shit it in.

OK I will bite !! Look, I keep thinking, over and over, that we have had only 6 days rest, compared to Tigers two whole weeks, they have to be fresher, surely ?? In a tight and tough game, red hot go by us, is it logical to think, we may tire out towards the end, and they win by about 11 points or so ??

So, tell me, not just you, others here too, please tell me at least 3 good reasons as to why we should de rail the Tiger train. ????

HOW are we going to shit it in, please explain, anybody ???? Surprised Surprised

We are a different (and much better) side than we were six weeks ago. They are not.

The pressure is all on Richmond. Expectation, internally and externally, will weigh heavily on them. We, on the other hand, will be operating without such expectation. To illustrate that point, who among us would consider the year a failure with a lost Preliminary final at the hands of the reigning premiers?

Not only do we have more talent on the paddock we seem to be playing more cohesively. It's incredible the ability that both Treloar and Goldsack have returned with. This alone will improve our chances.

Another, a little more obscure, is their winning streak. Statistically it must come to and end, why not tomorrow night?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
We'll shit it in.

I guess I'm almost always a glass half full kinda guy, and that's just the way I roll. But even taking that into account, when I look at the Richmond team and then at ours, I can't help thinking we are a much better team. I honestly think that had we not been cruelled by so many injuries to key players this year, we would have finished top of the ladder. All games, but especially finals are won and lost in the midfield, and this is where we are much, much better than the Tigers, with the class of Pendles, Treloar, Adams, Sidey and the 'chosen one' in Sier. Not only are our midfielders better than the Tigers, but our depth in that area is much deeper. We also have the best ruckman in the AFL, and historically, ruck dominance is crucial in finals. In my mind, the Tigers only have 4 clear match winners in Dusty, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt. We, however, have Grundy, Pendles, Treloar, Sidey, Adams, Howe and De Goey. Forget about ladder positions, or our recent losses, as we were stuffed by injuries. Right now we are a much, much better team and I predict we'll do to the Tigers what we did to the Cats in the 2010 Prelim. We'll moida da bums!
tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:08 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I guess I'm almost always a glass half full kinda guy

In this case your glass is overflowing, with full strength spirits! And that's what's remaining from what you've already drank to come up with that prediction Laughing

tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Changes since last time:

The 5th out is Murray
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24   

Jump to: