Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Prelim. Pies v. Tigers - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime soon?
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 am

In a fit of self-torture, I re-watched Rich-Coll, Rd 6.

Not a high-quality game. Awful kicking from both sides.
Yes, only 11 points down at 3/4 time, but woeful goal-kicking from Rich: 8.14 at that point.
Yes, Aish injured in Q3 & Maynard a couple of minutes into Q4. But 5 1/2 minutes into Q4, Coll 5 goals down. And Maynard came back on. (Reid's injury was 3 minutes from the end.)

I'm not sure that game should be a source of confidence. The best thing is that it was 5 months ago and a lot can change in such a long time.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

K wrote:

Yes, only 11 points down at 3/4 time, but woeful goal-kicking from Rich: 8.14 at that point.
Yes, Aish injured in Q3 & Maynard a couple of minutes into Q4. But 5 1/2 minutes into Q4, Coll 5 goals down. And Maynard came back on. (Reid's injury was 3 minutes from the end.)

I'm not sure that game should be a source of confidence. The best thing is that it was 5 months ago and a lot can change in such a long time.

Since the weekend, I've been watching replays of Round 6 and 19 over and over again to glean some insight into how we can change the result of those two outings. It's difficult, because in my view, Round 6 saw Collingwood still finding their feet for 2018 -- it was also Mayne's first game and I don't think he quite hit his rhythm until a couple of weeks later. Round 19 we battled bravely with two big injuries and no Dunn, De Goey, Treloar or Sier and lost by less than the Round 6 clash with more going against us which says to me that by Round 19, the Pies had established their brand to the point where missing key personnel had less impact than it would have earlier in the season.

Now add Treloar, Sier, De Goey, Howe and Goldsack into the mix, a team identity that was only nascent in the earlier half of the season, plus a finals win under our belt and I would say we're a much stronger position than each of the last two games for myriad reasons. In effect Richmond will have played three very different looking Collingwood sides in 2018. Whereas Richmond has been the same full strength side all season.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am

^ When I re-watched the Rd 19 game, I was mainly trying to look at all of Rich.'s illegal blocking, holding & pushing tactics (partly their response to MC's performance in Rd 6, which was more threatening), but it's really not clear on the general camera, because it's so far away.

MC's run-up for set shots in Rd 6 was 7 steps. I don't know if it's got shorter since. It somehow feels really short nowadays.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:32 am

K wrote:
^ When I re-watched the Rd 19 game, I was mainly trying to look at all of Rich.'s illegal blocking, holding & pushing, but it's really not clear on the general camera, because it's so far away.

Yes, me too. It was infuriating. At least now Collingwood are ready to get no help from the umpires. Go in with our game plan and execute it to a tea. Be physical at the contest. Richmond crucified us rebounding out of defence with their quick end-to-end transitions. We need to make sure we don't allow the ball to go in and straight back out before we set up around the ground.

If Mayne went to Rance, he would soon get frustrated by being worn like a glove. And when Sir Tunneling doesn't get his way, he's wont to start doing stupid things. By the way how in the hell did the umpires not penalise Rance on the wing in Round 19 when he took on two tacklers and was caught holding the ball? That was egregious.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:38 am

We'll shit it in.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 am

And Riewoldt's Q1 behaviour in Rd 6 was very disturbing. Does he really need to behave like that? Appealing for a 50m penalty, trying to take back his team's play on after a free 2s later, screwing up his face like a baby having a tantrum, getting Pendlebury in a headlock because Pendlebury tackled him (fairly), ... All in just a quarter of football.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 am

Jack's always been a giant, petulant baby. They love appealing for frees at every given moment.

And I think the penalty for Dunn's bump on Higgins was a bit harsh. I never understood that rule. If it's a free why isn't it a free kick in the centre?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:03 pm

K wrote:
MC's run-up for set shots in Rd 6 was 7 steps.

So .... roughly 50 metres then. Seems like enough for most people.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 pm

I reckon our lads have been out of sorts. Some individual stars and plenty of effort across the board, but as a team, struggling a bit. We were very poor against Freo, let West Coast off the hook far too easily, and, to be honest, didn't really beat much vs GWS, who were poor.

But the kids have had two finals now and I reckon they are ready to fire. The single biggest reason GWS were so poor and made so many glaring skill errors was that we pressured them so hard and put them off their game.

Secondly, we saw signs that several of our not-so-great finals players - ones who didn't play their best these last few weeks - were on the verge of regaining their best form. WHE is the obvious one, but add in Cox, Stevo, Phillips, Aish, Mayne, and Howe. Write down Howe and WHE now, and pencil in much improved performances from three or four of the other five mentioned. They are just at that point where they are ready to star.

Pies by 34.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:22 pm

And another thing... Riewoldt & Short appear to be two more fools who recklessly refuse to wear a mouthguard. Completely irresponsible to both teammates and opponents.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:23 pm

I was gunna say Is it just me or is there a growing confidence about winning this game, but clearly its not just me.

I reckon we are a genuine chance and obviously lots of others here do too.

Everything I see on TV and read about in the paper re: the players and the coaches makes me confident that they are up for the task.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:25 pm

K wrote:
And another thing... Riewoldt & Short appear to be two more fools who recklessly refuse to wear a mouthguard. Completely irresponsible to both teammates and opponents.
One more thing.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Damien wrote:
Everything I see on TV and read about in the paper re: the players and the coaches makes me confident that they are up for the task.

They do need to step up and play at a higher level and not think that it'll simply happen on its own as long as they have 22 fit players for the whole game.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:46 pm

SwansWay wrote:
K wrote:

Since the weekend, I've been watching replays of Round 6 and 19 over and over again to glean some insight into how we can change the result of those two outings. It's difficult, because in my view, Round 6 saw Collingwood still finding their feet for 2018 -- it was also Mayne's first game and I don't think he quite hit his rhythm until a couple of weeks later. Round 19 we battled bravely with two big injuries and no Dunn, De Goey, Treloar or Sier and lost by less than the Round 6 clash with more going against us which says to me that by Round 19, the Pies had established their brand to the point where missing key personnel had less impact than it would have earlier in the season.

Now add Treloar, Sier, De Goey, Howe and Goldsack into the mix, a team identity that was only nascent in the earlier half of the season, plus a finals win under our belt and I would say we're a much stronger position than each of the last two games for myriad reasons. In effect Richmond will have played three very different looking Collingwood sides in 2018. Whereas Richmond has been the same full strength side all season.

Most of their losses have come from teams taking them on the down the middle because the Tigers choose to protect the flanks. The irony is they want you to take them on through the guts because it’s such a hard game style to execute against their pressure. The moment you make a blue, you are opened up like a tin of sardines.
The first decision at match committee is to decide do we back ourselves or do we change things up because what we have done in the past, hasn’t worked.
You always learn a lot more from a loss than a win, so their decision on game style will be pivotal.
Personally, I’m a big fan of just winning the territory and time in possession numbers in finals. Richmond can’t score if we have the ball in our forward line.
I imagine we will press our defenders right up and have our extra numbers at the contest to keep it locked in our half. We will get a couple scored against us out the back but that’s what happens when you press everyone up.
If we handle the ball well and you will know that early enough, then we are on our way.
One more sleep and then we go Tigga hunting.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24   

Jump to: