Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pummel Giants - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Brilliant last quarter by the Future Captain. When the going gets tough, ....

Finally ole mate we can agree on something
You're 100% correct Trelaor and Adams were brilliant took the game by the scruff of the neck and lifted the team up and carried them forward
Was sensational to watch

Yes, Langdon was terrific in the last qtr. We needed players to step up along all lines, and we sure received that.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Just watching the replay, 16 minutes left in the first quarter. Who the hell is that agile youngster dodging and weaving through traffic? There is nothing I like better than watching talented teenagers like Stevo and this new chap run rings around the old farts.

Very impressed with this kid. Like his style, and love his agility. Don't know his name.Wears number 6.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Despite freezing my arse off (4 degrees FFS) what a wonderful win. Had great seats. (3 days ago I was in a pool in FNQ).

I don't know how we one when we failed to capitalize on the opportunities we had; we simply can't afford to that against the tigers this week

I thought Grundy was relatively poor for the first half and more but lifted. He failed to take a single mark for more than half the game and his hitouts were less than impressive early on. Richmond exploited this the last time we played them and allowed him to play his midfieled role. However nankervis who was rested in the 3rd quarter when Grundy starred the last time came back on in the last quarter and marked as well as kicking a goal ( & a hand in others). Grundy IMO lacks this part of the game especially noticeable in the last few weeks . While it's a lot to ask of a young ruckman finals are often won by having a dominant ruck who marks and can kick goals.

What's pleasing amongst other things is that Treloar, Howe and to a lesser extent Goldsack have now got into the rhythm of games and found their touch in the hectic pace and intensity of finals footy.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Grundy seldom wins first quarters, or second quarters. On a good day, he holds his own. But that man is a beast: his third and last quarters are awesome. As his opponents get tireder Grundy doesn't just keep up the pressure, he gets better. If we want Grundy to start winning first quarters, get him to run out and start warming up around morning tea time.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Tannin wrote:
Grundy seldom wins first quarters, or second quarters. On a good day, he holds his own. But that man is a beast: his third and last quarters are awesome. As his opponents get tireder Grundy doesn't just keep up the pressure, he gets better. If we want Grundy to start winning first quarters, get him to run out and start warming up around morning tea time.

That's why Richmond played him so well the last time they met: they rested Nankervis in the third quarter who lagter beat Grundy in the last. Grundy was dominant in the 3rd but rooted in the last quarter when Richmond smased us. That wasn't the only variable; we were also cruelled by injuries.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Just a random thought: given that we have the best second ruck in the AFL, does Grundy get more rests than his opponents? Just off the top of my head, he doesn't seem to spend a lot of time resting forward (hardly any). He does seem to get one or two good long rests per game while Cox rucks, but my guess is that he plays about average minutes. Anyone have numbers?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Grundy TG 85%, Cox 91%, Lobb 84%.
Gawn 84%, McEvoy 86%.

Nankervis 78%, McEvoy 79%, Ceglar 68%.

Last edited by K on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Despite freezing my arse off (4 degrees FFS) what a wonderful win. Had great seats. (3 days ago I was in a pool in FNQ).

I don't know how we one when we failed to capitalize on the opportunities we had; we simply can't afford to that against the tigers this week

I thought Grundy was relatively poor for the first half and more but lifted. He failed to take a single mark for more than half the game and his hitouts were less than impressive early on. Richmond exploited this the last time we played them and allowed him to play his midfieled role. However nankervis who was rested in the 3rd quarter when Grundy starred the last time came back on in the last quarter and marked as well as kicking a goal ( & a hand in others). Grundy IMO lacks this part of the game especially noticeable in the last few weeks . While it's a lot to ask of a young ruckman finals are often won by having a dominant ruck who marks and can kick goals.

What's pleasing amongst other things is that Treloar, Howe and to a lesser extent Goldsack have now got into the rhythm of games and found their touch in the hectic pace and intensity of finals footy.

You thought Grundy was poor? Like you thought Richmond exploited his 48 hit out, 23 disposal, 10 tackle, 12 contested possessions game last time? Hes not f%#^ing Superman.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Actually, he f%#^ing is.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks K. Interesting numbers.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

You thought Grundy was poor? Like you thought Richmond exploited his 48 hit out, 23 disposal, 10 tackle, 12 contested possessions game last time? Hes not f%#^ing Superman.

I noted that last night Grundy was relatively poor in the first half due to lack of marks and goals. He impoved in the second half especailly in the last quarter. He's a great midfielder and his ruckwork is tremendous generally speaking. However he did not take one friggin' mark in more than a half of football. He will be better and has been better than he showed last night

With resepct to Richmod Grundy dominated the game especialy the 3rd quarter. However he was easily beaten in the last quarter by Nankervis. This wasn't simply an accident. It was a plan by Richmond. Richmond as you'll recall smashed us in the last quarter (in part, I'd say a reasonable part) due to Grundy being beaten as he was far less effective than his Ruck opponent Nankervis who was rested in the third quarter and who took marks and was more effective in the outcome of the match than was Grundy.

I never said nor have I said Grundy was poor. I did not have sexual relations with Grundy nor did I inhale Grundy.

Edit: Additional

At half-time GWS had 8 to our 4 tapouts to advantage futher lending weight to Grundy's relatively (for his standards) poor first half.

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Despite the poor conversion there was a lot to like about Saturday's match. We could have, and perhaps should have, won by 10 goals. But, the fact that we managed to hold off the Giants, even after they managed to get their noses in front, was a wonderful effort and bodes well for future performances.

There were a few players that I was particularly pleased with from Saturday's game, namely Sidey, DeGoey, Maynard, WHE, Langdon, Goldy and Howe, to name a few. But I am concerned with Pendles. He looked very relatively ordinary and I only suspect he is still just recovering from his illness. I hope that he shakes it completely this week and fires on Friday night!

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Cam wrote:
Phillips kicked a few on his non-preferred last night, more than normal. Not totally effective, but not uneffective either. If he can improve there by continually doing it he'll be a SS style weapon.

A Luger?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Tannin wrote:

From the last game, Grundy had 38 hit outs and cox 6. Given that Cox generally takes the ruck deep in F50 letting Grundy hang back, that suggests Cox didn't play a lot of ruck time.

If the Tiggers try the same stunt of resting Nankervis during the 3rd, I'd rest Grundy forward and play Cox against the Tiggers 2nd ruck, with instructions to hit it clear of the contest rather than dropping it down. A couple of midfielders staying wide giving Cox a choice of left or right, hit them on the run, instant inside 50. Give Richmond something to think about.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:02 pm
Post subject: FeyReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:

From the last game, Grundy had 38 hit outs and cox 6. Given that Cox generally takes the ruck deep in F50 letting Grundy hang back, that suggests Cox didn't play a lot of ruck time.

If the Tiggers try the same stunt of resting Nankervis during the 3rd, I'd rest Grundy forward and play Cox against the Tiggers 2nd ruck, with instructions to hit it clear of the contest rather than dropping it down. A couple of midfielders staying wide giving Cox a choice of left or right, hit them on the run, instant inside 50. Give Richmond something to think about.

Surprises me that this doesn't happen more often. If Grigg is rucking why not a 30 metre plus punch your way? Gets the defenders under pressure and your midfielders moving the right way.

Remember late 70's playing the Tigers and we were down 10.2 to 1.1.

Hafey moves Peter Moore into the ruck. He takes a long run and jumps, smacks the ball forward. They couldn't stop this, and we get up and win easily.

A tactic that can certainly be used to unsettle the opposition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: