Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

1990 Vs 2010

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

2010 Vs 1990, which was better?
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
It's a draw, and we'll have to come back next week.
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 31

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone you know wrote:
All things being equal; 2010 team finish higher on the ladder, but 1990 wins the Premiership.

Can you imagine what Millane would do to Wellingham if they were playing on the same wing? Sure 1990 had Tony Shaw, but 2010 had Jarred Blair

Never mind that. What would banks, Pants of Gayfer deliver to the Tiprat. Would not have made the brawl.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
...McGuane, Kelly...

The 2010 team had: Blair, Wellingham, Beams (young, non contributor), Toovey, Ben Johnson, McCaffer, Dawes, L Brown, Maxwell, Brown...

Half the squad were simply ‘goers’ sprinkled with some talent (Wellingham, BJ) playing a brand of football that bamboozled the opposition, and then into 2011 with the addition of Tarrant and Krakeuer.

Line the squads up against the wall and 1990 is superior.

No.

The 2010 backline would have a day out against the 1990 forward line, even with Daics in it.

Midfield probably even.

Cloke, Dawes and Brown would take turns embarrassing Kelly and christian with current rules and Micky g would be in the showers by half time gloving himself.

Jolly in 2010 form would have taken 1990 Monkey to school and Shawy would have wished for a tree to run into trying to chase Swanny.

If Pants got agitated, you put Goldy on him,

2010 wins by 10 goals.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:36 am

My ultimate team would be..

BACKS:
Ben Johnson, Michael Christian, Gavin Crosisca
Shane Morwood, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw
CENTRE:
Darren Millane, Dane Swan, Graham Wright
HF:
Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Peter Daicos
F:
Dale Thomas, Gavin Brown, Steele Sidebottom
Foll:
Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Michael McGuane
Int:
Scott Russell, Dennis Banks, Doug Barwick,
Damian Monkhorst
Emg:
Harry O'Brien, Luke Ball, Tony Francis

Last edited by Piethagoras' Theorem on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:45 am

You omitted the most important decision: LM or MM?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:10 am

I'll go with LM. Breaking the drought and overcoming the wobbles was a massive achievement.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:18 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:

BACKS:
CENTRE:
HF:
F:
Foll:
Int:
Harry O'Brien, Dennis Banks, Doug Barwick,
Damian Monkhorst
Emg:
Dayne Beams, Luke Ball, Tony Francis

Nice team, Frankie. I'd have to make room for Russell (whose 1990 season was the greatest I have ever seen from a Collingwood centreman - he may not have played consistently to Pendelbury's or Sidebottom's standards over the rest of his career but his first-season best was better than either of them. He gets H's spot. I would also have to find a spot for Starcevich - he played the best 40 minutes of footy ever played by a Collingwood player in a Grand Final. He should have Monkhurst's spot, playing the "Leigh Brown" role. I'd also have to start Luke Ball in place of someone - I don't know who is unlucky enough to be left out but maybe Crosisca (despite him being one of my all-time favourites) - Banks played in the backline in 1990 and Crosisca didn't (he played as an old-style ruck-rover), so Banksy could go into that back pocket. Nick Maxwell must captain the team, perhaps from the bench in place of Barwick, another of my all-time favourites. Tony Shaw is probably next picked after Maxwell. At about this point he has to come in for another great player but he must be picked, maybe ahead of Swan - there's no doubt that Swanny was the better player but Swanny didn't play his best footy in the 2010 Grand Finals, whereas Tony won the Norm Smith in his year. It's difficult, though, because one could as easily pick Swanny first in a Collingwood team selected from all players of the last 30 years. If Swanny is kept in the team, then Shawy could get the spot of any of Johnson, Wright, Didak, Thomas or McGuane.

I don't, of course, understand how Beams gets within 42 players of being selected, since he was hopeless when it mattered in 2010.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:30 am

For those interested, here's the article referred to in the OP comparing the 2 teams.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/glenn-mcfarlane-compares-the-two-great-collingwood-premiership-teams-of-1990-and-2010/news-story/977660752427f3554b3d9af00064f43a

NB, it doesn't answer the question which was better, just does comparisons

K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:33 am

We have to hope the current mob wins, so we can ruthlessly dump both Jolly and Monkhorst and replace them with Grundy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:

BACKS:
CENTRE:
HF:
F:
Foll:
Int:
Harry O'Brien, Dennis Banks, Doug Barwick,
Damian Monkhorst
Emg:
Dayne Beams, Luke Ball, Tony Francis

Nice team, Frankie. I'd have to make room for Russell (whose 1990 season was the greatest I have ever seen from a Collingwood centreman - he may not have played consistently to Pendelbury's or Sidebottom's standards over the rest of his career but his first-season best was better than either of them. He gets H's spot. I would also have to find a spot for Starcevich - he played the best 40 minutes of footy ever played by a Collingwood player in a Grand Final. He should have Monkhurst's spot, playing the "Leigh Brown" role. I'd also have to start Luke Ball in place of someone - I don't know who is unlucky enough to be left out but maybe Crosisca (despite him being one of my all-time favourites) - Banks played in the backline in 1990 and Crosisca didn't (he played as an old-style ruck-rover), so Banksy could go into that back pocket. Nick Maxwell must captain the team, perhaps from the bench in place of Barwick, another of my all-time favourites. Tony Shaw is probably next picked after Maxwell. At about this point he has to come in for another great player but he must be picked, maybe ahead of Swan - there's no doubt that Swanny was the better player but Swanny didn't play his best footy in the 2010 Grand Finals, whereas Tony won the Norm Smith in his year. It's difficult, though, because one could as easily pick Swanny first in a Collingwood team selected from all players of the last 30 years. If Swanny is kept in the team, then Shawy could get the spot of any of Johnson, Wright, Didak, Thomas or McGuane.

I don't, of course, understand how Beams gets within 42 players of being selected, since he was hopeless when it mattered in 2010.

OMG, can't believe I left out Scott Russell!! One of my favourites too and probably a little stiff not to win the Norm Smith. Yep, Russell in and Harry to Emergency, in place of Beams. Hard to leave Shaw and Maxy out but based on talent, I just couldn't find a spot for them. Interesting on Starcevich for Monky, that would be a reasonable swap. So many of these decisions were line ball, there could easily be 5 or 6 changes I would live with.

Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:41 am

Now, or then?

Now, the 2010 team - because the 1990 team would give away twelve thousand free kicks under the current rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: