Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

1990 Vs 2010

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

2010 Vs 1990, which was better?
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
It's a draw, and we'll have to come back next week.
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 31

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to compare. In terms of talent, relative to the competition of their day, I'd say 2010 was the better team. All things being equal, I'd back 2010. No obvious or logical reason, I just feel like they were the better side.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Where’s the 2018 vote?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:
Easy win for 2010. The 1990 team would have struggled with the 2010 'press'.

Very different games in very different eras. I would give a lot to be able to take the game back to those days. Tribal, more emotion, more passion, it meant a lot more to me then as a 27 year old that had only ever known failure as a Pies supporter.

In 1990 I was in line overnight for GF tickets as a member but in the morning they were sold out before the line had moved more than 2 metres. I was then fortunate enough to be given 2 tickets by an official from another club who decided not to go.

I still have a framed and signed copy of the 1990 premiership photo on my office wall.

Which rules would apply? How many umpires? Would Micky Gayfer be allowed to suffocate whoever hadthe misfortune to be opposed to him?

The 1990 team would have struggled with the press. That was primarily the team under Matthews that introduced the zone defence on kick ins, a novelty at the time. Tactics have come a long way since then.

And, the 2010 team would have struggled with the physical tactics employed by Kelly, Banks, Millane, Barwick, Monkey and others. No frees for chopping arms, or accidentally punching heads in marking duels in those days.

It was actually drilled into us when I played.... and the boundary line was a defenders best friend. I would of got pinged for deliberate a dozen times a game Laughing

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:17 pm

No handballs in the backline, and don't bloody kick it across the face of the goal ! !

2010 for mine; you cant under estimate how more athletic the game has got, cant see Tony Shaw or Kerrison being able to keep up all day

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
No handballs in the backline, and don't bloody kick it across the face of the goal ! !

2010 for mine; you cant under estimate how more athletic the game has got, cant see Tony Shaw or Kerrison being able to keep up all day

And Scooter Francis would have been perpetually rubbed out!

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:18 am

Abdul The Bull wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:

And Scooter Francis would have been perpetually rubbed out!

He was suspended for kicking Rance but that was nowhere near as dangerous as Toby Green’s kicks when marking last week.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 pm

think positive wrote:
27, best day of my life bar none! I will never ever forget it! I watched 3 losses live before the win, slept at the ground for tickets 1 year! The Richmond flogging! 1990 was the impossible dream! Went to the ground after the game, got home at 3am! Simply the best!

I remember the celebrations at VIC Park after the win, all of Hoddle/Smith & Johnston Sts., were all fkn rocking, people running on the road!
There were thousands upon thousands of us all gathered, mums & dads with babies in prams even, I'll never forget it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDII9ARiNc

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
think positive wrote:
27, best day of my life bar none! I will never ever forget it! I watched 3 losses live before the win, slept at the ground for tickets 1 year! The Richmond flogging! 1990 was the impossible dream! Went to the ground after the game, got home at 3am! Simply the best!

I remember the celebrations at VIC Park after the win, all of Hoddle/Smith & Johnston Sts., were all fkn rocking, people running on the road!
There were thousands upon thousands of us all gathered, mums & dads with babies in prams even, I'll never forget it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDII9ARiNc

wasnt it awesome! some guys grabbed me and chucked me in a phone box and i had to sing good old collingwood forever with them before they would let me out!!

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm

I picked 2010. We finished top with a 17-4-1 H&A record.

From memory, the 1990 team was considered by many at the time to be one of the worst Grand Final winning teams. Not that I cared. It finished second at the end of the Home and Away season.

1989 & 1989 the Hawks won with Langford/Mew and Brereton/Dunstall as KPP's. Ayres, Dipper, Tuck etc etc

In 1990 We had Christian/Kelly down back and named Daicos and Monkhorst as Key forwards (Starcevich was on the bench).

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Anyone who compares “playing style” of each respective team isn’t playing the game properly.

Pound for pound, the 1990 team is WAY ahead of the 2010 team on skill, toughness, and quality. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn’t old enough to appreciate the 1990 squad.

Let me roll off some names again:

Shaw
Daicos
Millane
Francis
Wright
Russell
Monkhorst
Barwick
Banks
Brown
Morwood
Gayfer
Crosisca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:25 pm

No worries, you're re right and we're all young and stupid, aye? Rolling Eyes (I'm 48 btw)

Yeah, I see your names. All they do is reaffirm to me that 2010 had more talent. IMO. Anyone who thinks otherwise.. meh

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:40 pm

...McGuane, Kelly...

The 2010 team had: Blair, Wellingham, Beams (young, non contributor), Toovey, Ben Johnson, McCaffer, Dawes, L Brown, Maxwell, Brown...

Half the squad were simply ‘goers’ sprinkled with some talent (Wellingham, BJ) playing a brand of football that bamboozled the opposition, and then into 2011 with the addition of Tarrant and Krakeuer.

Line the squads up against the wall and 1990 is superior.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Yeah, in your opinion Wink
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Anyone who compares “playing style” of each respective team isn’t playing the game properly.

Pound for pound, the 1990 team is WAY ahead of the 2010 team on skill, toughness, and quality. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn’t old enough to appreciate the 1990 squad.

Let me roll off some names again:

Shaw
Daicos
Millane
Francis
Wright
Russell
Monkhorst
Barwick
Banks
Brown
Morwood
Gayfer
Crosisca

I attended all 3 of the GF's in those 2 premiership years.

Talk about skill and quality and you lead off with Tony Shaw! Had no right foot and kicked about 30m with his left. Toughness I grant you, but in some ways which was not viable in the modern era.

2010 team won the GF and then finished top, losing against only 1 team all season in 2011. 8 different All Australian team members in that two year period, so it is difficult for me to concede that 1990 was WAY ahead, if at all.

Someone you know 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm

All things being equal; 2010 team finish higher on the ladder, but 1990 wins the Premiership.

Can you imagine what Millane would do to Wellingham if they were playing on the same wing? Sure 1990 had Tony Shaw, but 2010 had Jarred Blair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: