Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Well said. Didn't hear the booing of Varcoe on the TV - please elaborate...
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:13 am

tbaker wrote:

Neither did I.

However, they booed Adams off the ground when it appeared he was concussed and in a daze. $£$%^%%$ disgraceful behaviour from the Eagles supporters.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:18 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Streak wrote:
Proud of the boys. We were expected to lose this one, and we nearly snatched it. We stood up fairly well in an intense, one-sided atmosphere and dominated long stretches of the game. As in all our losses this year, though, we didn’t manage to capitalize on our dominance.

Just too many players underdone and/or inexperienced. I’m not shattered by this loss. This group is going places.

I am of the opinion that, if we win a Premiership this year, we’d be stealing it. It’s possible, but unlikely. Too many injuries, not enough games in key players. So making finals is good, introducing the kids to a finals atmosphere is good, and winning a final would be great.

I would rather have won the game. But there’s an upside to playing next week, with the group knowing the sting of a finals loss. An upside to the chance to play into a bit of form.

Yeah, I’m not shattered. The worst - absolute WORST - part of a finals loss is returning to Nick’s, because the drama queens crawl out - the sack-the-coachers, the delist-everyone-ers, the membership-tearers, the I-told-you-so-ers. Trolls, everyone one of them.

Stands and applauds, spot on, hammer, nail, head, and bang. !!!!! Very Happy Cool

Absolutely agree!

I want to give a special mention of Trav Varcoe's efforts tonight. Such courage to even be out there. No doubt playing for his sister, who you think would've wanted him to be out there, he pulled off the most magnificent run down of an opposition player that you could ever hope to see. If we had won the game, that effort would be praised as a match winner. Similarly, his goal to open our account was an absolute pearler.
I salute you Travis Varcoe for your courage and spirit.

Bump, I didn’t get enough pages in! Cheers, 100% these

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:25 am

Jezza wrote:
tbaker wrote:

Neither did I.

However, they booed Adams off the ground when it appeared he was concussed and in a daze. $£$%^%%$ disgraceful behaviour from the Eagles supporters.

I’m not sure what happened, I heard boos and then a bunch of guys behind me were yelling how dare you boo Varcoe, your a bloody disgrace. My daughter heard the boos too. It was only a few WC supporters that were ugly, but they were really ugly. The were screaming at us rather than cheering the game, two women in particular! I really wanted done one to slug the, both! But the crowd down the side of the run were feral, and every time the scored most were looking back at us! All we did was cheer loudly when we got a goal. Or a free kick!

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:27 am

think positive wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
Wow, what a massive choke. That last 5 minutes would have to go down as the WORST, most PATHETIC passage of football I can ever remember. I feel gutted, robbed and betrayed after 115 minutes of great, hard, tough footy and we looked all over them, to give that performance late in the game I just cannot rationalize that. This feels like a bad dream or something.

I just got back from the game. I knew this would be here, I’m guessing there is a few more.

Go and get £$%$ed!

If you want to lay blame, blame the two posters in the third quarter. Blame the frustration from the blatant discrepancy in umpiring, blame the ducked up surface that had everyone slipping over, but don’t you dare blame the boys for that last 8 minutes where we fell short.

I’ll tell you what you didn’t see on tv. You didn’t see our kids go out for a hitout pregame, before the official hitout. Before their first final. How many in their first ever final? Many with an old school player giving the, a tap. You didn’t see Varcoe busting his arse even when the ball wasn’t there just 1 week after losing his sister to a footy injury. Three players came straight back from injury, 2 from bad long term injuries, and 2 had a quite first 1/4, the other just ran out of legs after doing a might job on Kennedy for three quarters. Pendles wasn’t himself no, but he was in hospital last week for gods sake! Yes cox got found out against talks with bigger bodies, but the final experience will help him too. I’m sure you heard the disgraceful booing of Varcoe, but you didn’t see the massive crowd pumping the team the whole game. And the supporters! It was a war zone! You did see me and a couple of dozen others giving it back in spades!

I thought we were going to get creamed after that first quarter. What a come back! From a team in its first final in 6 long years, with a massive upinjury list! Everyone says we got an easy ride but we took the team second on the ladder to the ropes, and nearly had them down for the count. How $£$%^%%$ dare you question their integrity at the end? How $£$%^%%$ dare you. It was plain as day the last 15 min we were toasted and desperately hanging on.

Truth is we don’t need next week off, we need more finals experience, and the under done need game time. We were not out coached or even out played. Yeah they got a goal through an open back door once, and yeah a few fumbles. But for Christ sake last year we finished 13th!

Win or lose next week as long as we fight like we did tonight, I’ll take it. But I reckon we might surprise em! And we won’t lay down and die against the Tigers either!

Go Pies, Side by Side, in good times, and bad. Cheers

well done tp. Fantastic comment. I agree totally. The week off would actually have been to our disadvantage. We need more finals experience. we brought fantastic pressure to bear tonight. I don't get the posters who would criticise negatively anything at all on our performance tonight. This game will be a massive learning curve for us. I feel already like i want to start discussing how we smash the Giants. And even if we were to fall short, this year has been awesome, and is a ladder up to the future.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30 am

Exactly how I see it, cheers
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:52 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

You did so much right for so much of the game, what's your opinion of what went wrong in the final five minutes of the game?
Quote:
"No, it was probably most of the last quarter. We gave up some momentum at stoppage and got done in contested ball. That's where finals games largely exist and we thought we were able to handle it for the most part. We were in a position at three quarter time to go ahead and finish the game off, but we didn't. The opposition, you have to give them credit for their persistence for what they were able to do out of stoppage. We were well beaten in contested ball in that last quarter and put our backs under a fair bit of pressure as a result".

Do you feel it's a missed opportunity? Is that how you feel right now?
Quote:
"Yeah, I would have thought that when you get a chance in a qualifying final and you don't win it it's an opportunity lost. As simplistic as it sounds, it absolutely is. Once again, we haven't been a group that have dwelled too long. We're still in the fight so we have an opportunity now to make sure that we in some ways take some lessons from this experience and dust ourselves off and go again. Our opponent for next week played today. We're aware of who we face now and then we really progress and project forward to that opportunity".

How do you feel? Were you unlucky with various lead changes?
Quote:
"No, we didn't execute and complete the job. We made some adjustments at quarter time which we put us back in the game through the second and third quarter. Largely, the game went with contested ball. Our pressure was pretty good after quarter time I thought. Very slippery conditions; all four of the finals games were wet conditions so that and the fact that you're playing in finals games the pressure goes up a little bit. Both sides would've had mistakes that they might have thought that had they got that right it would have made a difference. In the end, there's some marginal calls that we tend to focus on a little bit more in games like this, but I thought overall we were just outworked in that last 30 minutes and West Coast deserved the win".

What does it say about your team at the moment that so many players were prepared to fight there way to get back into this team and they performed pretty well?
Quote:
"Yeah, I think for the most part they did. As I said, we've been a group looking out for another [and] prepared to play for each other. I don't think we saw anything different tonight. Whether we've won games or lost them, I think we've played with a consistency of effort for each year. We saw three boys come back and perform admirably. Trap [Varcoe] to stand up and play for his teammates was huge. There were some significant efforts out there".

These are the seven days where you have to be resilient now. How do you deal with the proposition of playing GWS next week?
Quote:
"Yeah, that was basically the postscript for us in our conversation after the game. The fact that we've spent most of the year learning a lot from our failures and the things we haven't got quite right. This group are definitely focused to improve and they want to be better. The fact that we've been able to learn our from losses and then add that to our game and take the next step. We still feel like there's still three wins for us to get. We didn't get it tonight unfortunately, but we earned the double chance with our home and away season. Now we need to get three in a row and we start next week and we'll analyse the game and we'll take lessons from it and we'll try to be better next time".

Did you make any adjustments with McGovern at quarter time after he dominated the first quarter?
Quote:
"Yeah, we had a couple of different strategies that were ready to go. I thought Mayne did a first class role after quarter time. We probably weren't as daring with the ball as we would have liked to have been in the first quarter. Admittedly, the conditions made it pretty hard to get off the line. We did adjust that and we thought for the most part we thought we were able to get the ball in scoring positions. We had it 51 times, we only had the 20 scoring shots. I think for the most part we looked dangerous enough when we got the ball on the ground, but that didn't look like the case in the first quarter but after that we looked okay".

Your thoughts on Goldsack's game?
Quote:
"He's put in an enormous block of training. Now, he's got to butter up again. Kennedy had missed a lot of footy as well, so that was probably part of the decision. I thought he stood up and a large part of the reason why we were in a winning position at three quarter time and was beaten in a few contests by a pretty good player late in the game".

You mentioned contested possessions in the last quarter and the fact that you had a mid in [Treloar] who had a missed a significant chunk. Did that play a role in the loss?
Quote:
"I think our mids were doing pretty well when it got to three quarter time. We've run out games largely in a strong vain. It wasn't the case tonight. Tay [Adams] got that knock and he was off for six-eight minutes early in the last quarter. There's just a few little things you just got to handle and we weren't able to handle them ultimately to get the win. As I said, we'll take the lessons and we won't dwell or cry over spilled mark. We'll have to project forward pretty quick".

Are you going to get any sleep on the flight back or will your mind still be racing?
Quote:
"I think professionals drop into professional mode pretty quick mate. Rest and recover is the order of the day for the next couple of days. We'll go through our week as normal and understand that we've got a final to win next weekend".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-09-09/bucks-reviews-tough-loss

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:53 am

What to say about the umpires? Some of those calls were horrendous. What about the Rioli one where he ducked into the tackle and the commentators called a clear holding the ball, but was paid high. Amazing. The DeGoey holding the ball with 1min to go? Double amazing. What about the incessant "push in the back" calls to the Eagles. What about the clear push on Grundy by Vardy while he was jumping for the ball, that led to the Eagles' 1st goal. What about the unpaid holding the balls on Eagles players that weren't called. What about that Sier holding the ball at the centre bounce. What about..what about....

You think for a second...ok...so this is what they call the "wild west". Everyone must be in the know. This is why it's hard to win in the West..just accept it. It's the "crrowd affirmation" factor. There is nothing you can do about it.

But then, wait...we are suddenly 10 points down with 1min to go and in an impossible position, and with the ball still in our backline....and suddenly 3 soft free kicks in a row are paid to us that go against the grain of what has been happening the whole match.
THAT'S THE KILLER. That's when you know the umps know exactly what they are doing. They are in control of this match more than Pendles could ever be. It's a total fix, and it's in-your-face. And good-old AFL talks of integrity. That's the biggest LOL ever.
partypie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:44 am

think positive wrote:
Exactly how I see it, cheers
Watched the game with my bf an eagles supporter. Best game we’ve seen in years. Pies can only get better and were great tonight
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:51 am

bally12 wrote:
What to say about the umpires?

Insignificant

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:01 am

Sadly Cox gave us nothing. That cost us the game.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:13 am

I've since watched the game over again and in real terms what happened with Kennedy getting going in the last could have easily happened in the first term onwards
He got his hands to several contests just didn't hold the mark
We all knew our defence was going to be under siege if we didn't contain there ball movement dramatically
In the first 1 umpiring error and 2 player errors cost us 3 goals simple
Terms 2&3 we controlled the contest and the way the game was played
The last the thing that cost us was one thing POISE
All our players including our most experienced didn't show poise.
Sidey's errant handball, Pendles handball back inside 20 out from goal to one of our players with 3 eagles surrounding him
When they got quick entries even from hacked kicks in the last our defence just crumbled around us. We didn't or couldn't just halt the momentum and get the game back on our terms.
Our young players just became victims of there own inexperience
Can't fault the effort we tried our guts out
Losing Adams in the 4th quarter hurt us badly. He was involved in basically everything good we were doing
We had 14 players playing there first finals game they had 3. That's a massive experience difference
Hats off to Goldie he did everything you could ask of him
You could have given votes to about 10 players easily who did there jobs well
WHE Thomas Cox didn't have good nights by there standards and need to improve next week.
Treloar and Howe will be much better for the run for sure
You can train all you like buts there's no training that can copy match intensity
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:20 am

Well at least we now know - exactly - what we need to do to win it all now (which I still believe we can do if we can beat Richmond).
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:23 am

How about that. By "we" do you mean you and me?
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:38 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Sadly Cox gave us nothing. That cost us the game.

I can understand your frustration with Cox, but consider that he was going up against two each time. and the conditions were really slippery.
I could'nt believe how our mids constantly were slipping over and the eagles weren't, now that is real ground advantage. Sidey's and Varcoes slips were shocking, it seamed as if they were radio controlled by some outside force. Hope they get back on the horse for next saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18   

Jump to: